Slimming World

Options
I'm having trouble getting motivated and wondered whether it was worth joining a group or online group. I was looking at Slimming World but can't see anywhere on their website as to how much it costs. Has anyone here ever joined Slimming World and was it worth the money?

Replies

• pootle1972
    pootle1972 Posts: 579 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Uk 4.95 a week plus 9.95 membership. It teaches you practically nothing tbh as too many classes still spout the eat as much as you want free food ....I lost 2.5 stone but it ground to a halt until I found mfp.
  • SizeTenByTeatime
    SizeTenByTeatime Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thanks Pootle - I was wondering whether the groups gave you more motivation, camaraderie and accountability?
  • pootle1972
    edited February 2016
    Options
    It sort of did .....but I began to get really dissalusioned about the eat as much as you want mentality. I think i have The best of both worlds I learnt how to cook good food and mpf taught me about calories and making the most of them. It's worth a shot at least as unlike we you get the entire pack the first week. I think there is a free membership voucher in one of the women's mags as well.
  • lynch17
    lynch17 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have done both slimming world and weight watchers in the past and am currently a "gold member" at WW having reached my 'goal' weight. (So now I don't pay to get weighed!). I started going for the accountability of being weighed publically and it making me stick to a better and healthier way of eating. That said, I didn't specifically follow either of the programs I mainly used mfp and made Informed choices about my food (I never mentioned not fowing the program at meetings though)

SW meetings were a bit of a waste of time for me as a vegan it was all meat this and yoghurt that but Ww is more accommodating to veg/vegans but I still dont like the meetings (can't find words for it). I now continue to go along to support my friend and as I say I don't pay to weigh in so I may as well (although my scales at home are better. Lol)

So in short, if you want public accountability for weighing in and want to sit in on the meetings for the support then go for it. Its all a personal preference as to what you get from the meetings.

I think that If I were starting over again I probably wouldn't part with my money at them.

Good luck.
  • beccaawalsh
    beccaawalsh Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Here in Ireland, it's €9 a meeting €18 joining fee. You can eat as much dry pasta or rice as you want but only one portion of dairy per day. It's completely an unhealthy way of thinking about food.Don't waste your money.
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I found Dietbet very motivating. You at least have the chance to get your money back.
  • leahcollett1
    leahcollett1 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    pootle1972 wrote: »
    It sort of did .....but I began to get really dissalusioned about the eat as much as you want mentality. I think i have The best of both worlds I learnt how to cook good food and mpf taught me about calories and making the most of them. It's worth a shot at least as unlike we you get the entire pack the first week. I think there is a free membership voucher in one of the women's mags as well.

this..
    im at slimming world and have been for 2 years ive lost a total 3 stone with them and another 1.5 before i joined group... i too grounded to a complete halt.. turns out i was eating too many calories. so now i do both! i use the clean eating recipes from slimming world and ideas. and use the calorie counting on here.. and its started moving again.
    i love the slimming world groups because its nice to sit and have a chat about dieting and peoples habits - it makes me laugh as your fails are exactly what everyone else experiences, your never alone. people can relate when you say.. oh my god i had the worst binge last night etc.
  • karris43
    karris43 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I've just started Slimming World - 3 weeks in - and I have signed up for 12 weeks. Like anything you have to use your common sense and really think about why your current pattern of eating is making you overweight.
    I found Slimming World useful to troubleshoot my current diet - basically what I missed while following the plan.

It turned out to be oil. Lots of cooking oil. And bread. I was eating a lot of bread. And crisps. I already knew that my portion sizes were too large so I've modified these things and I'm losing weight. Hopefully these are things that will turn into life choices and not a twelve week plan.

I'm a 'group' person. I like the chats about food. So it works for me. They say 'you can eat as much as you want' of the free foods at my group, but, really, wouldn't you just eat within reason until you were full if someone said that to you? Or use common sense? Especially if the whole point was to lose weight?

It's worth the money for the online stuff and the recipes. I absolutely love their 'overnight oats' which I layer with strawberry and banana and call breakfast trifle!

Having said that I'm still logging on MFP in order to make sure my portion sizes are OK, a double check, and to record my exercise.
  • pootle1972
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Not really ......i didn't get fat listening to my body and if it was full......and a lot in my group assumed they NEVER had to go hungry so ate ALL the time....common sense and weight problems rarely go hand in hand