Help needed! Please read... Chocolates, Mochi's, crackers and Calories limt

Options
Since it's CNY now, I am given a whole lot of snacks... I cannot seems to stop snacking on chocolates (MFP told me that it is high in sat fats), crackers and Mochi's... They taste soooooooo awesome... However, would i still gain fats/weight if i keep everything within my calories limit? The chocolates i ate is usually Merci or ferro (3 to 5 piece a day) and my crackers and Mochi's intake is like 1 to 4 piece of each per day and snacks made up like 30-40% of my daily calories intake. I am really worried that even though it is in my calories limit, it will still add fats to my tummy area.. Does anyone has any suggestions or is facing the same problem? Thanks in advance!

Replies

• ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    It is all about staying within your cal goal. While I would be hungry using that much of my cal goal on snacks whatever works for you. Macros are for health and body composition. So you will not gain weight as long as you are probably weighing and logging all your food.
  • Trump2016
    Trump2016 Posts: 80 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    There's a difference between weight gain and fat gain.

If you're staying within your caloric range, there'll be no weight gain.

If, as you have said, snacks make up 40% of your daily intake, there's a good chance you're jeopardizing leanness.

Macros are for health and body composition.

Nutrient density/micros are involved where health is concerned.

A. Having 40% of one's caloric intake from snacks produces a low possibility of optimal macros -> leaves a lot of improvement room for the balance between hormones, energy conversion and lean tissue preservation. I doubt he's getting enough fiber either.

B. Having 40% of one's caloric intake from snacks doesn't yield nutrient density of any worth (quite the opposite).
  • LeanAndMean1991
    LeanAndMean1991 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    It is all about staying within your cal goal. While I would be hungry using that much of my cal goal on snacks whatever works for you. Macros are for health and body composition. So you will not gain weight as long as you are probably weighing and logging all your food.

Yup. Feel free to take a look at my diary!
    Trump2016 wrote: »
    There's a difference between weight gain and fat gain.

If you're staying within your caloric range, there'll be no weight gain.

If, as you have said, snacks make up 40% of your daily intake, there's a good chance you're jeopardizing leanness.

Macros are for health and body composition.

Nutrient density/micros are involved where health is concerned.

A. Having 40% of one's caloric intake from snacks produces a low possibility of optimal macros -> leaves a lot of improvement room for the balance between hormones, energy conversion and lean tissue preservation. I doubt he's getting enough fiber either.

B. Having 40% of one's caloric intake from snacks doesn't yield nutrient density of any worth (quite the opposite).

Well. Looks like i'm gonna be an early Santa this year! Will be giving away all my beloved chocolates and snacks to my colleagues then! :smile:
  • Trump2016
    Trump2016 Posts: 80 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Well. Looks like i'm gonna be an early Santa this year! Will be giving away all my beloved chocolates and snacks to my colleagues then! :smile:

Eh, it could've been a blessing to go off track for a while if it recommits you to being even more disciplined (whether that means entirely abstaining or more realistically working it into your lifestyle a smarter way).

Maybe invest in things like unsweetened cocoa powder, a sugar substitute you trust (I prefer erythritol), unsweetened chocolate chips:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hershey-s-Sugar-Free-Chocolate-Chips-8-oz/10312014

Just make better versions of whatever your cravings are and don't sabotage yourself by giving into the least desirable ones in unnecessarily large quantities.

I don't go a day without chocolate myself. Cocoa + vanilla extract + a bit of honey + almond milk = great combination that I can keep to a minimum. :smile:
  • LeanAndMean1991
    Options

Eh, it could've been a blessing to go off track for a while if it recommits you to being even more disciplined (whether that means entirely abstaining or more realistically working it into your lifestyle a smarter way).

Maybe invest in things like unsweetened cocoa powder, a sugar substitute you trust (I prefer erythritol), unsweetened chocolate chips:

Just make better versions of whatever your cravings are and don't sabotage yourself by giving into the least desirable ones in unnecessarily large quantities.

Wow.. thanks! I do not have access to walmart though. I'm based in Singapore (Land of wonderful (and insanely fattening) hawker food). I will try to substitute all snacks with baked almonds though. I also have easy access to food like Rolled Oats, Half Boiled Eggs, Peanut Butter, UHT Whole Milk and Almonds. Those food shall make up for around 80% (hopefully) of my diet from now on.. What do you think? Is there anything i should add?
  • niniundlapin
    niniundlapin Posts: 327 Member
    Options

Wow.. thanks! I do not have access to walmart though. I'm based in Singapore (Land of wonderful (and insanely fattening) hawker food). I will try to substitute all snacks with baked almonds though. I also have easy access to food like Rolled Oats, Half Boiled Eggs, Peanut Butter, UHT Whole Milk and Almonds. Those food shall make up for around 80% (hopefully) of my diet from now on.. What do you think? Is there anything i should add?

How about adding some vegetable and fruit? Some of these are fiber & micronutrient dense and would compensate what seems to be missing from those you listed. (Not sure if you like sweet potato, but I personally found it as a great substitute for snacks since it's sweet and delicious and has fiber...! I only eat the baked one though...)

I have lots of chocolate-based snacks in my pantry right now as a result of CNY too... I guess it's a great timing to re-evaluate our eating habit and pattern in order to not jeopardize what we've achieved so far (which I just did to myself... :s ). For me, those are rare items (my parents came visit me & brought those over from Asia) and theoretically I shouldn't eat them all that fast. This is what I've been telling myself the past few days and it's gradually working... I guess... (we'll see...). Good luck & Happy New Year!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options

What are you doing for protein? If you're a vegetarian, a better source of protein than nuts is legumes. If you are an omnivore, eat meat.

When I have sufficient protein, I don't get the munchies for snack type foods.
  • bogwoppt1
    bogwoppt1 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Sometimes when people give me tons of junk as gifts I give it away or sometimes I throw it away. I know I cannot keep that stuff in the house without eating it, so I just remove the temptation.

I do eat a treat or two every day, but there has to be a limit if it does not fit in my daily calorie goals.
  • chantaljamaique
    chantaljamaique Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Since it's CNY now, I am given a whole lot of snacks... I cannot seems to stop snacking on chocolates (MFP told me that it is high in sat fats), crackers and Mochi's... They taste soooooooo awesome... However, would i still gain fats/weight if i keep everything within my calories limit? The chocolates i ate is usually Merci or ferro (3 to 5 piece a day) and my crackers and Mochi's intake is like 1 to 4 piece of each per day and snacks made up like 30-40% of my daily calories intake. I am really worried that even though it is in my calories limit, it will still add fats to my tummy area.. Does anyone has any suggestions or is facing the same problem? Thanks in advance!

I have the same probleme.
    This is not easy but you need to stop right a way me what I do I give me a special day 1 day a week to eat what I want without restriction.
    That's better then nothing but it's very hard.

GOOD LUCK
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Either get rid of the chocolates, or learn moderation.

40% of your calories in chocolate isn't healthy at all.
  • LeanAndMean1991
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

What are you doing for protein? If you're a vegetarian, a better source of protein than nuts is legumes. If you are an omnivore, eat meat.

When I have sufficient protein, I don't get the munchies for snack type foods.

I usually ate canned tuna (1 can per day) for my protein. But I'm still always hungry and tired throughout the day...
  • youarepigsss
    youarepigsss Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I usually eat canned tuna with melted cheese and then have a black coffee which I think can stable my blood sugar.
  • maddu87
    maddu87 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Maybe limit yourself to oneday a week. Id just give it up though.
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    You are hungry because you are severely undereating. Keep your snacks and add in some fruit and veggies and more protein. A can of tuna is not a meal... no wonder you are still hungry