Maintaining 8% body fat or less all year round - tips?

Options
Trump2016
Trump2016 Posts: 80 Member
edited February 2016 in Goal: Maintaining Weight
Hio.

I'd been able to maintain 11% fat for a long time.

I focused on bringing it down to 8% and the latest scan had me at around 8.5%, which I've been maintaining for around 6 months.

I'd like to be able to keep it at ~8 all year long. Would anyone who's doing something similar successfully offer any tips? I imagine the tips will be distinct from the usual types since it requires more attention to detail on the whole but I don't know.

Let's hear it if you've got a suggestion!

Replies

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    8% is getting to pretty rare air. What is your current height and weight?

I noticed in your profile you're a runner. Are your relatives naturally low bodyfat? Just asking as you may be limited by genetics to keep that level and be healthy on a long term basis
  • AnabolicKyle
    AnabolicKyle Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    In for what you did to stay at 8.5% for 6 months.

Also what is your TDEE and BMR?
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Seems like you should be the one giving the advice. I can only dream of year round 8% .
  • Trump2016
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    Just asking as you may be limited by genetics to keep that level and be healthy on a long term basis

Why would they limit health over the long haul as long as the nutrition is chosen well? Curious. Feel free to elaborate. Most of my relatives aren't in great shape, haha. Probably 15-30 pounds overweight. I'm the disciplined one.

I'm 172 cm and a bit less than 140 pounds.

~1850 and ~1550 respectively - I always calculate lifestyle at sedentary and when I want my TDEE for the day, underestimate the amount added by the cardio to keep me in check and if I feel like it, I'll eat a bit more. There's always a safety net because I overestimate what I eat as well.

As for what I did, stair-running 4 days a week. I always do it first thing in the morning because it makes me adamant not to screw up intake later since I already put in the work. Made healthy versions of all my cravings and I stay fasted for 21 hours/eat for 3. That way I can munch all I like and be on a happy stomach for the longest stretches.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Trump2016 wrote: »
    Just asking as you may be limited by genetics to keep that level and be healthy on a long term basis

Why would they limit health over the long haul as long as the nutrition is chosen well? Curious. Feel free to elaborate. Most of my relatives aren't in great shape, haha. Probably 15-30 pounds overweight. I'm the disciplined one.

I'm 172 cm and a bit less than 140 pounds.

~1850 and ~1550 respectively - I always calculate lifestyle at sedentary and when I want my TDEE for the day, underestimate the amount added by the cardio to keep me in check and if I feel like it, I'll eat a bit more. There's always a safety net because I overestimate what I eat as well.

As for what I did, stair-running 4 days a week. I always do it first thing in the morning because it makes me adamant not to screw up intake later since I already put in the work. Made healthy versions of all my cravings and I stay fasted for 21 hours/eat for 3. That way I can munch all I like and be on a happy stomach for the longest stretches.

Many athletes such as bodybuilders/fitness competitors, wrestlers cut down to a lower than sustainable bf % for a competition. Are the relatives naturally lean (like when they were younger), even thought they may have some weight to lose? There is some genetics coming into play regarding bf%. How are you measuring bf? As you get lower a reasonably accurate measurement gets harder to determine.

What is your exercise routine, running stairs, for how long and what if anything else? Did I read correctly that you are doing all your eating in a 3 hour window?
  • Trump2016
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Many athletes such as bodybuilders/fitness competitors, wrestlers cut down to a lower than sustainable bf % for a competition.

Ah, yeah. I wouldn't know about sports or competitions other than MMA, but they diet for 3-4 weeks and then cut a lot of the remaining water weight and rehydrate after weigh-ins. I'm not really in that situation. I perform well both aerobically and anaerobically.
    Are the relatives naturally lean (like when they were younger), even thought they may have some weight to lose? There is some genetics coming into play regarding bf%.

Yeah, all things considering they were in shape.
    How are you measuring bf? As you get lower a reasonably accurate measurement gets harder to determine.

There's a neat little place called The Bone Wellness Centre who did it for me (DEXA) twice.
    What is your exercise routine, running stairs, for how long and what if anything else?

I do alternate between running and sprinting stairs throughout the 40-60 minutes I do it - I like getting my heart rate to over 90% of its max and staying in that zone for a couple minutes while sprinting, then run at 80% of its max. I keep switching between those two during the same session.

I'll do MMA and kickboxing as well once or twice a week/whenever time permits. I'll wear a weighted vest and spar or hit the bags just to crank up the intensity. Anything cardio-related I do is to bring me to real exhaustion.
    Did I read correctly that you are doing all your eating in a 3 hour window?

Yep. Cardio -> first meal about an hour after that -> finish eating by 2 hours after the first meal -> stop eating for 21.
  • AnabolicKyle
    AnabolicKyle Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Made healthy versions of all my cravings and I stay fasted for 21 hours/eat for 3. That way I can munch all I like and be on a happy stomach for the longest stretches.

I was thinking of trying Intermittent Fasting, It seems rough though. How long does it take to get used to it? What hours do you eat at?
  • Trump2016
    Options
    Made healthy versions of all my cravings and I stay fasted for 21 hours/eat for 3. That way I can munch all I like and be on a happy stomach for the longest stretches.

I was thinking of trying Intermittent Fasting, It seems rough though. How long does it take to get used to it? What hours do you eat at?

Although I use an IF approach, I have to say lots of the additional benefits are over-glorified. It's an approach to appetite control. If it sounds rough and/or takes getting used to, you're not missing out on anything special by exploring something else. My personal appetite and preferences led me to IF; the praise we see all over the 'net isn't what got me hooked in.

Knowing that I hate tiny portions led the approach to be a natural and obvious conclusion for myself, in other words. I know if I get to stuff myself in a condensed period of time, I'll simply be on a happy stomach and won't crave anything.

Others might enjoy regularly divided portions through expanded periods and if that works in controlling your appetite, look with favour on that.

Just find what works for you by reflecting on exactly what causes you to deviate toward a craving and on exactly what causes you to say you've had enough.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Keep it up! It's working for you!! :)
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    I've generally been maintaining around that percentage for several years, although I have two factors going for me. My BMI is fairly low at only 19.x, and I'm 21. Several years ago, I used to be very sedentary and was maintaining around 9-10%. Once I started exercising, my body fat went down a bit. I was doing 30-60 minutes of cardio a week along with some strength training. Then a couple years later I increased my strength training routine and put on a few pounds. While I didn't notice any fat gain, I'm thinking there may have been a very small amount. Last fall, I unintentionally did a mini "cut", which trimmed away any little extra that I had gained with the muscle. I am active cardio-wise though and do a little strength training.
  • Trump2016
    Options
    I've generally been maintaining around that percentage for several years, although I have two factors going for me. My BMI is fairly low at only 19.x, and I'm 21. Several years ago, I used to be very sedentary and was maintaining around 9-10%. Once I started exercising, my body fat went down a bit. I was doing 30-60 minutes of cardio a week along with some strength training. Then a couple years later I increased my strength training routine and put on a few pounds. While I didn't notice any fat gain, I'm thinking there may have been a very small amount. Last fall, I unintentionally did a mini "cut", which trimmed away any little extra that I had gained with the muscle. I am active cardio-wise though and do a little strength training.

Good stuff. Really appreciate the input.