hormone reset diet questions

Options
Ok,so I know someone who is doing whats called a hormone reset diet. I think its more woo because I dont think you can "reset" your adrenals or your hormones. it goes like this(tell me if this sounds sorta like keto to you) you eat 454g of non starchy veggies(leafy greens mostly) but you have to have 49g or less of net carbs per day. you also eat less carbs in the am and more in the pm,and you will exclude fruit, dairy, grains and added sugars for a period of time. supposedly doing this will make you lose weight fast,. but you take in 35-45g of fiber,1g of protein per lb of lean body mass, at least 80 oz of water and the rest is fat.

To me that sounds sorta like keto, but if Im correct 454g of veggies would be like 1800+ calories(if carbs are 4calories per gram). what does everyone think of this? I dont think that this is a legit way to lose weight(for some that would cause weight gain just in veggies alone) and I also dont believe that it will reset anything. they said that they lost a lot of weight fast and I dont see how except for water weight. so comments are welcome. Im not doing this diet. just want to see what others think or know. I did research and cant find anything legit about this"diet"

Replies

• pootle1972
    pootle1972 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    If it sounds to good to be true then it is to good to be true......you've answered your own question with the lack of research answers.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    thank you. I was doing some figuring and counting protein calories and fat calories for many that would be over 3000 calories.for me that would mean weight gain unless I exercised all day every day
  • fittestpal
    fittestpal Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Sounds a little ridiculous to me. 450g of spinach is more like 100 calories..
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    ok but this person said that 454g or 16oz of veggies. if carbs are 4 calories per gram? wouldnt that be more than 100 calories? Im lost here though on that aspect lol
  • fittestpal
    fittestpal Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    It's correct to say that 454g of carbs is 1816 calories, however a vegetable does not contain 1g of carb per 1g of material. For example: 91g of broccoli (or 1 cup) contains 6g of carbohydrates and a lot of water weight... in other words you would need 75 cups of broccoli to equal ~454g of carbs. Putting you over your fiber limit of 35-45g by about 146g. Hope this helps!
  • amyk0202
    amyk0202 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    ok but this person said that 454g or 16oz of veggies. if carbs are 4 calories per gram? wouldnt that be more than 100 calories? Im lost here though on that aspect lol

Non-starchy vegetables wouldn't have that many carbs. That's why your calorie #'s are off. I think it could work for weight loss depending on how the calories fall out--what kinds of proteins they eat, etc. It sounds very complicated & I don't believe it will be re-setting their hormones.
  • bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    Options
    Omg is 454g of veggies are 1800 calories I'm screwed.
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    katem999 wrote: »
    Omg is 454g of veggies are 1800 calories I'm screwed.
    They aren't. Not even close actually.

To the OP. This is just a total nonsense diet. It's low carb so rapid initial weight loss will occur in the form of water losses. Actual fat loss, like in any diet, will be completely driven by calories in vs calories out. So unless you for some reason prefer an overly and unnecessarily restrictive diet, this method of eating seems pointless. You cannot "reset" your hormones. That's meaningless dribble to push a diet.

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    ok so I was wrong with the carbs being 4calories per gram,I was going to say thats a crap load of veggies).I also am not going to do this diet. just stating someone I know is doing it and trying to get others on board. thank you to all for setting me straight on the carb calories thing. :)
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    oh not to mention that this person got mad at me when I stated that its basically like keto and you cannot reset anything. oh well lol
  • pootle1972
    pootle1972 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    As my old nan used to say.....you can't argue with stupid.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    pootle1972 wrote: »
    As my old nan used to say.....you can't argue with stupid.

no,you cant.
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    ok so I was wrong with the carbs being 4calories per gram,I was going to say thats a crap load of veggies).I also am not going to do this diet. just stating someone I know is doing it and trying to get others on board. thank you to all for setting me straight on the carb calories thing. :)

Carbs being 4 calories per gram is correct. It's just that 100 gram of food isn't going to be 100% carbs/fats/protein but also parts that are not digestible so don't contain calories.
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    This is just putting a fancy spin on how many people eat who want to maintain lean mass, for instance 1g of protein per lb of weight. And 400-odd grammes of green veg obviously isn't thousands of calories.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

Carbs being 4 calories per gram is correct. It's just that 100 gram of food isn't going to be 100% carbs/fats/protein but also parts that are not digestible so don't contain calories.

well if its not digestible then i wouldnt eat it lol. but I get what you are saying
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    CollieFit wrote: »
    This is just putting a fancy spin on how many people eat who want to maintain lean mass, for instance 1g of protein per lb of weight. And 400-odd grammes of green veg obviously isn't thousands of calories.

the thing was this person was saying this would reset your hormones and your adrenal glands. claims were also that they lost a lot of weight in the first 3 months on the diet. and it helped fixed things for them.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    Veggies are like 80-90% water. That's why , despite being largely carbs, they do not have a calorie count of 4/g.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    tomteboda wrote: »
    Veggies are like 80-90% water. That's why , despite being largely carbs, they do not have a calorie count of 4/g.

I got that,thank you for your reply
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    Here's an example of leafy greens that adds almost no calories, and supplies almost half the fiber, along with some protein.

Baby Spinach - Baby Spinaches
    Servings:

Calories 108 Sodium 351 mg
    Total Fat 0 g Potassium 0 mg
    Saturated 0 g Total Carbs 16 g
    Polyunsaturated 0 g Dietary Fiber 11 g
    Monounsaturated 0 g Sugars 0 g
    Trans 0 g Protein 11 g
    Cholesterol 0 mg
    Vitamin A 864% Calcium 43%
    Vitamin C 216% Iron 81%
    *Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.

I would think hitting the fiber without going over in carbs might be the hardest part, as there are loads of no carb protein options. But really looking at the numbers, it seems to me more like some type of PSMF diet with changes. But really if you eat enough volume of low calorie stuff, lots of things can fill you up. Add plenty of chicken to that spinach along with a fat vs sugary salad dressing and those two would keep you full for quite a while.

Do they even suggest a calorie window?