hormone reset diet questions

Options
2»

Replies

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    robertw486 wrote: »
    Here's an example of leafy greens that adds almost no calories, and supplies almost half the fiber, along with some protein.

Baby Spinach - Baby Spinaches
    Servings:

Calories 108 Sodium 351 mg
    Total Fat 0 g Potassium 0 mg
    Saturated 0 g Total Carbs 16 g
    Polyunsaturated 0 g Dietary Fiber 11 g
    Monounsaturated 0 g Sugars 0 g
    Trans 0 g Protein 11 g
    Cholesterol 0 mg
    Vitamin A 864% Calcium 43%
    Vitamin C 216% Iron 81%
    *Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.

I would think hitting the fiber without going over in carbs might be the hardest part, as there are loads of no carb protein options. But really looking at the numbers, it seems to me more like some type of PSMF diet with changes. But really if you eat enough volume of low calorie stuff, lots of things can fill you up. Add plenty of chicken to that spinach along with a fat vs sugary salad dressing and those two would keep you full for quite a while.

Do they even suggest a calorie window?

what is PSFM? and NO there is no calorie window. just eat the amounts I mentioned in the original post.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protein_Sparing_Modified_Fast

Wiki link due to being short on time. Several modified versions have appeared over the years, and in the case of your example diet, they seem to disregard the fat aspect. But even with fatty meats (or anything high in protein low in carbs) it would likely end up a very low calorie diet.

If you added a fiber supplement to the above example of spinach, found a really low cal and lean protein (chicken or turkey maybe), and did the math the resulting end calories would be really low.

As an example, at my current weight of 180 pounds, I could fill in my day with this...

Trader Joes - Boneless Skinless Turkey Breast Cutlets
    Servings:

Calories 720 Sodium 330 mg
    Total Fat 3 g Potassium 0 mg
    Saturated 0 g Total Carbs 0 g
    Polyunsaturated 0 g Dietary Fiber 0 g
    Monounsaturated 0 g Sugars 0 g
    Trans 0 g Protein 168 g
    Cholesterol 420 mg
    Vitamin A 0% Calcium 12%
    Vitamin C 0% Iron 48%
    *Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.

My calorie total for the day would be 828, or even if I added in some more carbs (maybe go ahead with that sugary salad dressing later in the day), slightly higher. For a person my size that is a 1000+ per day calorie deficit even if I had no activity.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    well the diet states 80 oz at least of water and the fiber says 35-45 grams. fat amounts were never mentioned and protein is 1g per lb of lean body weight. but the food aside. I dont think its going to reset anything and thats my point. I believe its woo and the person who developed the diet was a gynecologist at that.now maybe if an endocrinologist developed it and did test studies on their patients,and it was proven to work, then I would say ok. but I researched and cannot find ANY studies out there on this. which is why I believe its BS
  • allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    ok so I was wrong with the carbs being 4calories per gram,I was going to say thats a crap load of veggies).I also am not going to do this diet. just stating someone I know is doing it and trying to get others on board. thank you to all for setting me straight on the carb calories thing. :)

Carbs being 4 calories per gram is correct. It's just that 100 gram of food isn't going to be 100% carbs/fats/protein but also parts that are not digestible so don't contain calories.

well if its not digestible then i wouldnt eat it lol. but I get what you are saying

Sure you do. Every day. And you need that too. It's called fiber.
  • allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    CollieFit wrote: »
    This is just putting a fancy spin on how many people eat who want to maintain lean mass, for instance 1g of protein per lb of weight. And 400-odd grammes of green veg obviously isn't thousands of calories.

the thing was this person was saying this would reset your hormones and your adrenal glands. claims were also that they lost a lot of weight in the first 3 months on the diet. and it helped fixed things for them.

That's woo.
  • Torti_M
    Torti_M Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I've done something similar known as the Autoimmune Protocol. I felt great while I followed it for over a year ans a half but it's so restrictive and for me personally, it was not sustainable. I didn't lose weight as I wasn't controlling portions. One day I started reintroducing foods and that caused me to gain 10 kilos in three months so it works if you stay on it for life, but I don't find it sustainable long term. It is for some - I met lots of people in online forums that had been living this way successfully for years. I personally found it too restrictive even though I did feel better.
  • phill_143
    phill_143 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    454g is an amusingly specific requirement. Does it say what happens if you accidentally eat 455g..? ;)
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Torti_M wrote: »
    I've done something similar known as the Autoimmune Protocol. I felt great while I followed it for over a year ans a half but it's so restrictive and for me personally, it was not sustainable. I didn't lose weight as I wasn't controlling portions. One day I started reintroducing foods and that caused me to gain 10 kilos in three months so it works if you stay on it for life, but I don't find it sustainable long term. It is for some - I met lots of people in online forums that had been living this way successfully for years. I personally found it too restrictive even though I did feel better.

This is the key to all successful weight loss programs - if you can do it for the rest of your life with ease, then it will work for you.
  • TheBeachgod
    TheBeachgod Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    phill_143 wrote: »
    454g is an amusingly specific requirement. Does it say what happens if you accidentally eat 455g..? ;)

kdgwzm1lx7zv.gif
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    phill_143 wrote: »

454g = 1lb
  • TheBeachgod
    TheBeachgod Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Not quite as dramatic as my answer but more accurate. :-l
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    ok so I was wrong with the carbs being 4calories per gram,I was going to say thats a crap load of veggies).I also am not going to do this diet. just stating someone I know is doing it and trying to get others on board. thank you to all for setting me straight on the carb calories thing. :)

Carbs being 4 calories per gram is correct. It's just that 100 gram of food isn't going to be 100% carbs/fats/protein but also parts that are not digestible so don't contain calories.

well if its not digestible then i wouldnt eat it lol. but I get what you are saying

not talking about fiber lol but ok
  • emhunter
    emhunter Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    Very intrigued. I will be "lurking" on this one :)
  • lemmie177
    lemmie177 Posts: 479 Member
    Options

not talking about fiber lol but ok

Fiber is undigestable carbs. For example, 100g of broccoli is around 34 calories and has about 7g of carbs, ~10% of those carbs are undigestable carbs (aka fiber).

"Reset" is a very gimmicky term that's probably used as oversimplified marketing/layman's terms for an actual effect, much like "starvation mode" is a terrible descriptor for "adaptive thermogenesis". For someone who's sedentary and eats a lot of carbs, they're likely experiencing some degree of insulin resistance. A low-carb diet could potentially get insulin sensitivity back to normal, "resetting" it. Weight loss would still be determined by CICO. But veggies are nutrient/fiber/water-dense, and (usually) calorie-poor. You'd be very satiated on high-fiber/high-water veggies with much less calories, especially if they're replacing grains and sugars, so your CI could go way down.

Cutting out dairy, grains, sugars (the most common food intolerances) could potentially cut down on inflammation/physiological stress if you have a food intolerance. Honestly, it sounds like your run-of-the-mill elimination diet, meant to weed out food intolerances and then slowly reintroduce things into the mix. The goal is usually not weight loss, but it generally happens due to water loss and satiating veggies causing a lowered CI. Used for what it is, I think its great. Never meant to be a forever-diet, but potentially very helpful.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    no,it says its to reset your hormones and your adrenals. its not to help with insulin resistance so to speak.its also supposed to be for weight loss which like I said to me sounds like keto which nothing wrong with keto but at least it doesnt state it will reset all kinds of things(or at least nothing I have read about keto states this).and you only eliminate things for a short time then you reintroduce them and then you are "fixed" yet the person doing this is doing this diet yet again so obviously it didnt fix whatever was wrong or they would not have to repeat the stupid diet lol
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    I know what fiber is as well. but I meant things you cannot digest at all and I didnt mean fiber. I meant things you cannot or should not eat. should have specified that I guess
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    I know what fiber is as well. but I meant things you cannot digest at all and I didnt mean fiber. I meant things you cannot or should not eat. should have specified that I guess

Like... plastic?
    Cause if it's just regular food your body has no problems processing pretty much anything you put into it.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

Like... plastic?
    Cause if it's just regular food your body has no problems processing pretty much anything you put into it.

umm yeah I know your body has no problem processing just regular food. and no I wasnt thinking plastic. but there are people who do eat it lol
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    You want to "reset" your hormones? Focus on high intensity workouts.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    @ninerbuff I do do high intensity workouts. but Im not doing this diet. just wondered what others thought. I like my carbs lol