Alternate day fasting...

Hi all.. I was wondering if anyone had any advise on alternate day fasting? Would this speed up weight loss compared to the 5:2 per week? :blush:

Replies

• zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    For any weight loss, it comes down to a calorie deficit. Some people find fasting makes it easier for them to achieve a calorie deficit. Some don't and they crash and burn.
    For me it was easier just to eat at a reasonable yet responsible deficit daily.
    It makes no difference how you achieve this deficit , it comes down to the numbers for weight loss. There's a million ways of eating that help some to achieve a calorie deficit.
    If you have a 3500 weekly deficit it makes no difference how you get there. You'd still lose the same amount of weight.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    mrseadon wrote: »
    Hi all.. I was wondering if anyone had any advise on alternate day fasting? Would this speed up weight loss compared to the 5:2 per week? :blush:
    I did it for 3 months. I can recommend some good books and forums, if you like.

If you do 500 calorie days every other day vs. two days a week (5:2), you will lose weight faster, unless it causes you to overcompensate on your non-fasting days.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Yes a higher weekly deficit will lead to faster weight loss. Faster isn't always better of course!

Personally when I was doing 5:2 two fasting days were plenty and I was happy with a slow and steady weight loss while maintaining good energy and exercise levels.
  • PaleoNinja
    PaleoNinja Posts: 2 Member
    I do really well with 4:3. Down days on Sunday, Tuesday, and Thursday. Moderate day Friday. Up days Monday, Wednesday, and Saturday. I find that once my body gets into the every other day rhythm, I have no desire to just do a 5:2. It also depends on what kind of food you eat. I eat about 90% paleo/primal, but if I have a high carb day on an up day, my down day is a struggle.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    I do very well on alternate day fasting, except I modify it to lose less giving myself more calories on fast days. Quick loss isn't always a good thing.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    I've thought about (been toying with) trying 5:2, but since I tend to have a pretty intense exercise schedule that would be the hard part for me. I've assumed the 2 fast days would also be off (or very light) days. How do you handle ADF from an exercise perspective?
  • amusedmonkey
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I've thought about (been toying with) trying 5:2, but since I tend to have a pretty intense exercise schedule that would be the hard part for me. I've assumed the 2 fast days would also be off (or very light) days. How do you handle ADF from an exercise perspective?

It's actually amazing performance-wise (for me personally). I only do serious workouts on maintenance days, and just a lot of random general step-based light activities on fast days.

I tend to get hungrier on days when my workouts are more intense, so having 2000 calories + extra eat-back is a diet saver. Also being able to properly fuel for any activity without calorie concerns is a relief, and getting my protein is a breeze because I don't feel like it's cutting into my budget replacing more delicious options (slightly allergic to eggs and don't like meat).
  • lemurcat12
    edited February 2016
    I just don't see myself doing only 4 workouts per week, which is why I'm leaning toward 5:2. I'm wondering if people do hard workouts on fast days.

That does sound like a possible benefit (I'd still walk a lot on fast days or do pilates or yoga). The only thing I'm wondering about is if there's a benefit to recovery of eating more on off days, but that's something I'm open to experimenting with.

Do you average protein over the week or just hit your numbers on non fast days and not worry about it on the others? That's my other concern, since the way I usually handle very low cal days is simply lots of green veg.
  • WalkingAlong
    Many people actually feel more energy on their fasting days. I think I feel more likely to get more activity in on fasting days because I feel lighter and have more time and they just feel more reflective and health conscious. I'm not into intensity, though. And I have no blood sugar issues and I think my body fuels everything just fine with my excess fat. ;)
  • amusedmonkey
    I just don't see myself doing only 4 workouts per week, which is why I'm leaning toward 5:2. I'm wondering if people do hard workouts on fast days.

Do you average protein over the week or just hit your numbers on non fast days and not worry about it on the others? That's my other concern, since the way I usually handle very low cal days is simply lots of green veg.

My "fast" days are generally 800-1000 calories, so I do hit my protein on fast days as well. My issue with protein is that I don't feel happy when a lot of my favorite foods are replaced with high protein ones, so knowing I will be able to have more of what I like on maintenance days makes hitting my protein on fast days much more tolerable.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member

That does sound like a possible benefit (I'd still walk a lot on fast days or do pilates or yoga). The only thing I'm wondering about is if there's a benefit to recovery of eating more on off days, but that's something I'm open to experimenting with.

@lemurcat12
    I found 5:2 really good for my heavy exercise workload. I train 6 or 7 days a week alternating between cardio and strength. As you are eating at maintenance 5 days a week you are exercising fully fuelled most of the time.

I struggled with exercise at first on fast days but adapted over time until the point fasted or fed training felt the same. So at first fast days were my rest/recovery/easy/low intensity days but I adapted over a period of months. Eventually even burning more in exercise than I ate felt OK.
    Seemed to help my long distance cycling as an unexpected benefit - less need to feed on rides and better endurance.

As for protein I just accepted that I would be a little low twice a week (food on fast days was mostly lean protein and veggies), didn't seem to cause any issues as regards muscle retention.
  • missbrindley
    missbrindley Posts: 21 Member
    Thanks everyone for your great advice. . . I'm thinking of starting off on a 5:2 and get used to doing fast days (as this is a first) Then up it to 4:3

Everyone seems to do a lot of working out - I'm pretty crap motivational-wise when it comes to exercise.. Being only 31 I lack stamina. I'd love love love to become a dedicated runner. I envy people who can just run and run without much discomfort - those who really look forward to it.
    Me...I dread it. Knowing that it's going to hurt after 5 mins, go beetroot red and heaving with stitches!!

[/quote]
    I did it for 3 months. I can recommend some good books and forums, if you like.

If you do 500 calorie days every other day vs. two days a week (5:2), you will lose weight faster, unless it causes you to overcompensate on your non-fasting days.[/quote]

Yeah Walking along... I'd love some pointers to books on fasting thanks x
  • lemurcat12

My "fast" days are generally 800-1000 calories, so I do hit my protein on fast days as well. My issue with protein is that I don't feel happy when a lot of my favorite foods are replaced with high protein ones, so knowing I will be able to have more of what I like on maintenance days makes hitting my protein on fast days much more tolerable.

I see. That's helpful.
  • lemurcat12
    sijomial wrote: »

@lemurcat12
    I found 5:2 really good for my heavy exercise workload. I train 6 or 7 days a week alternating between cardio and strength. As you are eating at maintenance 5 days a week you are exercising fully fuelled most of the time.

I struggled with exercise at first on fast days but adapted over time until the point fasted or fed training felt the same. So at first fast days were my rest/recovery/easy/low intensity days but I adapted over a period of months. Eventually even burning more in exercise than I ate felt OK.
    Seemed to help my long distance cycling as an unexpected benefit - less need to feed on rides and better endurance.

As for protein I just accepted that I would be a little low twice a week (food on fast days was mostly lean protein and veggies), didn't seem to cause any issues as regards muscle retention.

Thanks. This helps.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Op these are my favourite books

6s6yzq7aouzf.jpg
  • amusedmonkey

I see. That's helpful.

It really does depend on your protein goal. Mine is not set too high anyway, I try to get about 100 grams a day.

I usually have a light late breakfast, and a one pot something that I eat for lunch and dinner. Here is today for example:

h749qn95iqad.png
  • WalkingAlong
    edited February 2016
    The ones Christine posted are the ones I read, too. The Varady one was the best, I think.

This is a good forum for tips and support.
    http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/forumdisplay.php?f=89

I don't do a lot of working out, if it makes you feel better. And my friends who "love running", when pressed, will tell you they don't usually actually love doing it, just what it does for them. ; ) I hate running. I got a heart rate monitor years ago and figured out I can do so many easier cardio things and have my heart rate in the right zone, but I never could with running. I think my knee ligaments are too loose and I just can't relax my legs while I run. Which I only mention because if running never does click with you, maybe you can find other activities that you don't hate.
  • charsuzy
    charsuzy Posts: 234 Member
    My current books for fasting: Fast, Feast, Repeat. The Obesity Code. I'm looking for a MFP group for fasting for longer than 16 hours; I'm up to 41 hours with eating one meal of less that 500 calories in that time. I'm in a few Facebook groups but since I come to MFP every day I'd like to find a group here. If you know of one please let me know :) You can message me to make sure I see your reply, thanks!
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,931 Member
    Not sure you will get much support from MFP with fasting for 41 hours

Nor VLCD's - in fact advocating those is specifically against the rules