Completely Discouraged /cry

Options

Replies

• vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    Don't believe any magazine headlines about weight loss, and don't believe anything celebrities say about weight loss. These two rules-of-thumb have helped me.

Great responses in this thread, btw. I've enjoyed reading!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    You're doing fine! Just keep doing what you're doing.

One thing though, you use an entry for two medium eggs being 60 calories a few times... that's not accurate. 2 medium eggs would probably be around 110 calories (I don't know exactly, I never use them, but 50g of egg is 70 calories).
  • Mavrick_RN
    Mavrick_RN Posts: 439 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Slow, sustainable weight loss is boring and doesn't sell magazines.

Flashy, unrealistic gimmicks get people's attention and money.

A beautiful humbling quote ("Comparison is the thief of joy") thank you for the reminder.

I also liked "Sometimes we need to adjust our expectations" (also from jkal1970)
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're where I was six months ago. :) I sent you a friend request!
  • Expatmommy79
    Expatmommy79 Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    Imagine! This time next year you could be 50 pounds lighter by loosing 1/week.

50 pounds!!!

You are doing great.
  • farmerpam1
    farmerpam1 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Slow and steady wins the race, you've got this!
  • Day_knee
    Day_knee Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

One thing though, you use an entry for two medium eggs being 60 calories a few times... that's not accurate. 2 medium eggs would probably be around 110 calories (I don't know exactly, I never use them, but 50g of egg is 70 calories).

I just did what was on the egg crate package. It said Kroger brand medium eggs each egg is 60 calories. But what I did was I bought a digital scale through amazon this morning and I am going to start weighing more foods. I have a scale but it's not digital. I think that will help and I will research the calories for the eggs I eat. I mean I am sure that I did initially and just went with what is on the crate package. I am not sure how that can be wrong but...who knows.
  • Day_knee
    Options
    Thank you again everyone who commented and have given me advice and amazing quotes to really take in and live by. I am probably like most people who start this journey...wanting it all now! I am going to make some minor changes in my food weighing with my new digital scale and hope to tighten up my calorie logging and intake.
  • msyellowrose077
    msyellowrose077 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Don't get discouraged. Everyone hits a plateau. Remember even if the scale isn't moving your probably still losing inches and gaining muscle. I had the same problem but after a month I'm starting to lose again. I started off 35lbs heavier than you. Also make sure your eating something low cal every 3-4 hrs so your body doesn't fall into starvation mode. Currently I'm at 1200 cals a day and although it's hard that low I've stuck with it. Keep your chin up it will get better and don't quit you've come to far!
  • emmycantbemeeko
    emmycantbemeeko Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Don't get discouraged. Everyone hits a plateau. Remember even if the scale isn't moving your probably still losing inches and gaining muscle. I had the same problem but after a month I'm starting to lose again. I started off 35lbs heavier than you. Also make sure your eating something low cal every 3-4 hrs so your body doesn't fall into starvation mode. Currently I'm at 1200 cals a day and although it's hard that low I've stuck with it. Keep your chin up it will get better and don't quit you've come to far!

"Starvation mode" is not relevant to normal weight loss and will not occur after hours or even days. Meal timing is important only insofar as it affects a person's ability to stick to the schedule- whether you eat all your calories at one time once a day or in 50 calorie snacks every thirty minutes is irrelevant, all that matters is your calorie total averaged over several days.
  • Numer1ca
    Numer1ca Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I think you're doing really well! 6 pounds in one week is crazy and not sustainable.

Another thing to keep your eyes on is that you are walking! And it sounds like it is improving and getting easier for you! That's great.

You are probably developing some muscles now. They weigh more than fat - but they take up less space.

This week Is my first week back. I have "lost" 1.5 pounds. But not really. Some of it is water and some of it is my body cleaning up the junk food. Plus, the scale varies day by day depending on water retention.

But, my pants are a little loose! And that tells me that things are changing!

Good luck.
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    You're doing great. Not everyone loses at the same computerized pace. MFP gives me 1200 to lose 2 lbs a week, it is the lowest MFP will go on calories. However that is the HEALTHY calorie goal for me. I ACTUALLY lose only 1.5 lbs a week staying at 1200 AND exercising every other day for an hour, and ONLY eating back 100-200 exercise calories ONLY on the days I workout. Its a very fine line I have to walk to lose at a pace that keeps me going.

Now, my Fitbit has the "correct" calorie goal for ME losing 2lbs a week. It's 1000 calories. I don't recommend restricting yourself that much in food. Its not sustainable.

Also, if your treadmilling is fairly new to you, you're gaining muscle as you walk, that will add a little weight in water and muscle. I've ALWAYS found it very frustrating to not see the scale go down more, even as my clothes get looser.

Take your measurements if you haven't and note how your clothing fits. Note how your clothing gets looser even though your scale doesn't move. Enjoy that. And keep going. Eventually the scale will move again.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Day_knee wrote: »

I just did what was on the egg crate package. It said Kroger brand medium eggs each egg is 60 calories. But what I did was I bought a digital scale through amazon this morning and I am going to start weighing more foods. I have a scale but it's not digital. I think that will help and I will research the calories for the eggs I eat. I mean I am sure that I did initially and just went with what is on the crate package. I am not sure how that can be wrong but...who knows.

you'd be surprised at how wrong labels are. like my bread tonight. It says 2 slices are 57 grams. they ended up being 66 grams for 2 slices. same with fruit. you can take 2 apples or 2 bananas the same size but they could end up being different weights,so that will mean different calories. serving sizes on packaging can be up to I think its 25% off(it may be a lower number). some things will be more and some less per serving.rarely do I find that the serving size is exact. that includes eggs. most of my eggs tend to weigh more than the package stated.It will be a real eye opener for you once you see what a real serving really is after using measuring cups. it was for me
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Just want to address the old wives tale of gaining muscle. You're not. Not whilst eating in a deficit and not whilst walking.

But you're doing great, the digital scale will help hugely and the rest of the advice is solid.

I think the egg issue is you have logged 2 eggs as 60 calories? Not one? But I haven't looked to confirm, just my interpretation.
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I used to get so discouraged when I saw all my friends losing and I was stuck in the beginning. But you know what those people who lost quick ( like 40 lbs while I had not lost 1!) they all disappear and come back heavier! While I was still trying, I still stuck it out. My loss has not been steady sometimes nothing for weeks, some times a .5 lb sometimes as much as 5 lbs in a week! Sometimes going up 10 lbs in a matter of days ( thank you bodily fluctuations).

I started at 235 on mfp too. I have lost a total of 50 lbs as of this week! It took me 2 years! But slow n steady bc there is a lot to learn and I do not wAnt it back on!

You can add me if you like! You are doing great
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    Options

Hey! I've never seen this before: MFP has an error on "Kroger - Medium Egg," and it's even a "verified" entry. It lists 60 kcal for two; the correct entry is 60 kcal for one. Just FYI. (My opinion is that eggs are a great food that can be eaten every day, if you like.)
  • timetochange52
    timetochange52 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Everyone loses at a different pace - don't compare yourself to anyone else. Find what works for YOU, learn from your daily progress and shortfalls. Review, adjust, and tweek as necessary. You are doing just fine. This is a long journey, so don't get discouraged. Patience and Persistence will be your key. Good luck!! You can do this!
  • Francl27
    Options

Ok but your entry says 'two eggs - 60 calories', that's why I commented on it. Two eggs would be 120 calories then, not 60.
  • Day_knee
    Options

Ok but your entry says 'two eggs - 60 calories', that's why I commented on it. Two eggs would be 120 calories then, not 60.

well..the entry says the serving is 2 and it shows up on my food as 120. It says 60 calories each but you probably thought my serving size meant that 2 eggs = 60 calories, when in my food diary the 2 is the actual serving at 60 calories each. I promise when I have 2 eggs it is always 120 calories for the serving of 2
  • Francl27
    Options

well..the entry says the serving is 2 and it shows up on my food as 120. It says 60 calories each but you probably thought my serving size meant that 2 eggs = 60 calories, when in my food diary the 2 is the actual serving at 60 calories each. I promise when I have 2 eggs it is always 120 calories for the serving of 2

Ok it might just be a weird entry then, I just saw a bunch of 'medium egg - 2 eggs' for 60 calories total.