How effective are 10 minute workouts?

Options
How Effective are 10 minute workouts?

I’m a huge fan of the 10-minute solution DVD’s. Main reason is I can fit in workout while waiting for coffee to brew or over to heat up for dinner or what not.
I try to fit in 1-3 a day, plus my 45-60 minutes of swimming at the Y 3 days a week.

I’m trying to lose weight-as I’m currently at 390 pounds. Gosh, to think when I was 15 and I was 175 pounds I thought I was morbid obese!!
So-are they worth my time? Should I keep doing them? The 2 I own are called Fat Blasting Dance Mix and my most recent addition is 10 minute solution tone trouble zones.

Replies

• Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    Regardless of weight, you sound to be in great shape. I have added brief workouts recently, when I don't have time for anything else, and I think they help a lot. I'd be interested to know what you think about them.
  • PearBlossom9
    PearBlossom9 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Absolutely worth your time. What else would you be doing while waiting for coffee to brew? Standing around?
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Yes, they are worth your time, keep doing them! I like to do little blocks of time, too. :)
  • TriciaSmith2015
    TriciaSmith2015 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I'd rather get 10 minutes of moving than nothing at all. Some days, I sneak in short workouts if I'm crunched for time.
  • Lollieio
    Lollieio Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I have the 10 minute trainer dad's and I love them. I just started back up but the 10 minutes of cardiovascular I do makes me sweat like I just ran for 30 minutes. I love them because I can do them while my 3 month old naps. Absolutely keep it up
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Yes, way to go!
  • Hfeff
    Hfeff Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    As long as you are moving it is helping. Keep it up.
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Yes! Worth it!
    Great job!
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    Love quick little workouts.
    Keep doing them. Eventually you may start joining a couple together for a 20, then a 30 min work out.

Cheers, h.
  • swimmchick87
    swimmchick87 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I like the free 10 minute popsugar videos on youtube. On days that I do those instead of the gym, I try to get in a 10 minute arms, 10 minute abs/core, and 10 minute legs/lower body video. If I'm having a hard time getting motivated or really crunched for time I'll spread out the videos throughout the day rather than doing them one after another, and even though it adds up to be the same amount of time it's easy to convince myself that it's just 10 minutes/10 minutes is nothing and it feels a lot easier. Even if you just do one it's certainly better than nothing!
  • Snipsa
    Snipsa Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I started adding a 10 minute taebo express workout to my regular 50 minute morning walk, and I love it. I may start to lessen my walk to 40 minutes to fit in 2 sessions. It's a fun and highly active way of spending 10 minutes so keep at it!

(Ps. I do some basic bodyweight exercises and a session on the elliptical or treadmill at night 3-4 times per week, and have been thinking of adding another 10 minute workout there as well) - will be adding weights at the end of the month when I have the money to buy a few...
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    More effective than 0 minute workouts!
  • lemonychild
    lemonychild Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    i friggin love short workouts. My cardio on the treadmill is never any longer than 20 minutes and mostly 15.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    The yoga one is really good for what I needed in 10 minute chunks (really easy to add on to other workouts). Mine is called 10 Minute Solutions, and it has maybe 5 short practices. They can be programmed to play in custom ways, so that's always helpful.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Bluejedi79 wrote: »

It depends what you want from them really. They can have a place, and if it works for you there's no reason to stop.

They're not going to improve your endurance or stamina, so as long as you could benefit from adding longer sessions as well.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    It all depends on your intensity level.
  • myheartsabattleground
    myheartsabattleground Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    They're amazing when I'm bored and don't want to sit around.
  • dljones67
    dljones67 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I love adding in quick 10-15 min wkouts through out my day, burns those calories baby
  • momofamadhouse
    momofamadhouse Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I have the ten minute Kickboxing and I love it. Not 100% sold that I burn 200 calories (as per MFP) when I lot it though....
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Bluejedi79 wrote: »

I’m a huge fan of the 10-minute solution DVD’s. Main reason is I can fit in workout while waiting for coffee to brew or over to heat up for dinner or what not.
    I try to fit in 1-3 a day, plus my 45-60 minutes of swimming at the Y 3 days a week.

I’m trying to lose weight-as I’m currently at 390 pounds. Gosh, to think when I was 15 and I was 175 pounds I thought I was morbid obese!!
    So-are they worth my time? Should I keep doing them? The 2 I own are called Fat Blasting Dance Mix and my most recent addition is 10 minute solution tone trouble zones.

Oh - I love the Tone Trouble Zones one - Amy Bento is great!

I second the Kickboxing one.....here's a video clip: http://www.collagevideo.com/products/10-minute-solution-kickbox-bootcamp