Replies

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    the less you have to lose the slower its going to be
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    And yes, re run your stats at the weight you are now. MFP doesn't automatically adjust your calorie goal as you lose weight. Good catch @callsitlikeiseeit

Cheers, h.

thats why i had to drop mine from 1500 to 1450.

i was not pleased.

LOLOL
  • mom2my4boys
    mom2my4boys Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Let me tell you a little story...
    I'm a 5'4/33yr old female that spent 8-10months loosing 1 lb a month, after having lost close to 100lbs over the course of 2 1/2yrs. Then i stalled for a couple months. In the beginning i set my settings to sedentary and never ate back exercise calories. I ended up with dry skin and hair, hangry, fustrated that it was SO much work to loose 0.25lbs/week. I was doing atleast an hour of running a day and weight training 2x/week ontop of a physical job and taking care of my large family.

I took a month long diet break. (December) Yes, the scale jumped up about 5 lbs. (Glycogen/water? I'm not sure) I tried not to panic and just focused on being healthy. Early January i got a fitbit. I quickly realized that i was burning on average 3000 calories a day. Netting very low calories, sometimes negative calories. I connected my fitbit with myfitnesspal and started eating what it was recommending. (About 2200cals/day) I've lost about a pound a week since doing this. I've made more progress in the past 5 weeks than i did in 6 months last year!

I know what they say about eating more never results in more weight lost, just wanted to share my story with you in hopes it can help you. And no, i don't work for fitbit either :wink: Congrats on your weight loss so far, thats an amazing accomplishment!
  • trjjoy
    trjjoy Posts: 666 Member
    Options

No. All she has to do is to make sure that she's eating at an appropriate deficit for the weight she's at. Our bodies need fewer calories at lower body weights than at higher body weights. So she probably needs to adjust her calorie limits and eat less.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    A trainer is not a registered dietician

She is regurgitating the low carb maxim that is the current majority view in press and society ...unsurprising but not necessarily helpful

It's just a way to hit your calorie defecit

For someone who is clearly achieving such a small real like cut of around 100 calories a day I would personally suggest focusing on accurate logging of food by weighing and double checking
  • Sued0nim
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I would take a diet break for 2-4 weeks, eat at maintenance ...calculate your TDEE on Scooby

You will probably gain 5lbs or so in water weight ...ride it out

Then reset your calorie goal on MFP and log properly ...no measuring, just weighing. A cut of 0.5lbs per week

Read this: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/the-full-diet-break.html/
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Scooby says 2000 at lightly active and 2300 at moderately active ...
  • maddu87
    maddu87 Posts: 4 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Maybe try new workouts that burn more calories? High impact aerobics? If you suffer from headaches, watching what carbs you eat would help.
  • lemonychild
    lemonychild Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Try maintaining for at little a while, ur leptin levels are prolly depleted if u been in a deficit for over a year
  • WendyLaubach
    WendyLaubach Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    "I mean that if she's not losing at 1700, she won't lose by eating more. Because science."

Couldn't agree more.

I also don't understand why a doctor would say that 166 is some kind of inevitable position for life for someone who's 5'6". (That might be true psychologically, but physiologically it's balderdash.) There could be all kinds of reasons why your weight loss has stalled: you may be eating more calories than you think, or your body may have become so accustomed to your exercise routine that it's no longer burning as many calories as it used to. Or, if 1400 calories was an unpleasant grind for you, you might still try 1500 or 1600 and see what happens.

Or, you might find that low-carb is an easy way to cut calories and still feel full. Some people do report that.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    trjjoy wrote: »

No. All she has to do is to make sure that she's eating at an appropriate deficit for the weight she's at. Our bodies need fewer calories at lower body weights than at higher body weights. So she probably needs to adjust her calorie limits and eat less.

yes, she has to make sure shes eating at the appropriate deficit, but ask those with only 10-15 lbs to lose,most will tell you its slower and takes longer to lose so little amount of weight.for her yes,it should be faster because she most likely has more than that to lose.
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    I would say no to low carb. You might try to increase your protein percentage without completely cutting carbs, though. I would try 1600 for a bit.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    seska422 wrote: »
    If you are losing one pound a month and you want 6-10 more pounds off, won't doing what you are doing now and waiting 6-10 months (or a bit longer) put you at your goal?

Why change what's been working for you?

This was my thought too. What's the rush?
  • FabianRodriguez94
    FabianRodriguez94 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    1- Make sure you are accurately measuring with a food scale to make sure you are actually in the type of deficit you would like to be in
    2- Maybe partake in a refeed day. For those who have been losing weight for long periods of time, or for those who are at lower body fat percentages- it would be beneficial to have a refeed every 1-3 weeks or so. This is not a cheat meal and is planned out before hand.

Here is a link on refeed days:
    http://www.muscleforlife.com/refeed/
  • ItsyBitsy246
    ItsyBitsy246 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    tmcpeake4 wrote: »

My doctor believes that your body is comfortable at the weight you had in college age years...

^ Someone please tell my body this! I was 117-125# in college twenty five years ago. :) It's taken me 3 months to lose 12#, now at 170#. You've lost 112 lbs?! That's freakin' awesome. Congrats.