Kettlebells..? Am I just too old school..?

Options
124»

Replies

• htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Bob Harper has a good kettlebell dvd, and there are any other around. cheap enough on amazon.

Actually I gotta advise against Bob Harper's kettlebell DVD-it's not awful, but last I checked (someone please correct me if I'm wrong) I don't believe he's actually RKC trained. Better off with the other DVD recommendations.

And please, PLEASE, stay away from Jillian Michael's kettlebell DVD. It truely IS awful.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    MSH2930 wrote: »
    Some really great replies here and great info, thanks all!!
    As for those asking about my wrist/grip strength, my wrists are shot due to being a hairstylist for almost 30 years. Had surgery on the one back in 2004. I sometimes feel like I can't hold onto things (like a pot of water) and have actually dropped an item or two over the years. But I definitely agree I need to work on grip strength as well. *sigh* Lots of work to do!! :smile:

If you have been cutting hair for 30 years you may well be in the situation I was, more of a thumb joint issue than the actual wrist. Might be worth looking into.
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    As for those asking about my wrist/grip strength, my wrists are shot due to being a hairstylist for almost 30 years. Had surgery on the one back in 2004. I sometimes feel like I can't hold onto things (like a pot of water) and have actually dropped an item or two over the years. But I definitely agree I need to work on grip strength as well. *sigh* Lots of work to do!! :smile:

I hear ya about the grip strength. I don't have wrist injuries, but I've often thought that I could lift more weight if my grip strength was better. I fear the flying kettlebell. I second the farmers' walks, I do them with my pair of 20s, but might try going heavier with dumbells at the gym.
  • MSH2930
    MSH2930 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »

If you have been cutting hair for 30 years you may well be in the situation I was, more of a thumb joint issue than the actual wrist. Might be worth looking into.

Yes, I think it is something besides the wrists. Definitely going to mention it on my next doctor's visit!!
  • Larissa_NY
    Larissa_NY Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    htimpaired wrote: »
    Bob Harper has a good kettlebell dvd, and there are any other around. cheap enough on amazon.

Actually I gotta advise against Bob Harper's kettlebell DVD-it's not awful, but last I checked (someone please correct me if I'm wrong) I don't believe he's actually RKC trained. Better off with the other DVD recommendations.

And please, PLEASE, stay away from Jillian Michael's kettlebell DVD. It truely IS awful.

Doesn't Bob Harper actually do the TGU backward? I think I saw that clip on Youtube.

I love him but dude is not a kettlebell instructor.
  • dlm7507
    dlm7507 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Here's a kettlebell program for people who want heavy, strong and aerobic. link
  • holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    There's nothing older school than kettlebells, actually. They've been a part of strength training basically since it's inception.

I think the kettlebell only video workouts and weird new kettlebell movements and itty bitty brightly colored 5lb kettle bells at target are just a trend. However, kettlebell swings and snatches will always be a part of a solid resistance training program.

If you're serious about improving your strength and power, say yes to the kettlebell and learn how to use it correctly. If you just want a 15-minute Body Toning Workout (tm), don't bother.
  • grinning_chick
    grinning_chick Posts: 765 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I first heard of them in 2006. Bought my first one in 2007. The lightest one is 8 kg.

Mind correct spinal/back form/posture, too. No bueno if you don't. /:

Liked it. Still have them. Will likely return to it at some point.
  • disasterman
    disasterman Posts: 746 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Older thread I know but I'll chime in..check out RKC (dragondoor) and StrongFirst. Also, you could google Pavel Tsatsouline who is essentially the godfather of contemporary kettlebell and was originally part of DragonDoor but now founded StrongFirst. Pavel has a couple books that are available on Kindle like 'Simple and Sinister' (I think someone else posted a link) which give lots of information about proper form as well as warm-ups and warnings. With his older books like 'Enter the Kettlebell' you'll have to put up with a lot of USSR/comrade shtick but, if you're able to look past that there's a ton of great information to be found. I supplement Pavel's books with YouTube videos of people demonstrating proper form for various exercises. Of course you should watch a few different ones because not everyone on YouTube has the same standards.

Start with lower weights. Perfect your form. Slowly go to heavier bells. Kettlebells are no joke; you can get some seriously good workouts in with nothing else but, like any other weight lifting endeavor, it's not too difficult to get hurt if you do it wrong.

I'd also point out in response to an earlier post that nobody NEEDS kettlebells but they do have some great applications and advantages. One advantage that I like is that because I live in a very expensive part of California I can't afford space for very much equipment and there's almost no room in my house to work out. But I can go swing a kettlebell in my driveway or go to a park, do some Turkish get ups and swings, and get an amazing workout on those days when I can't make it to the gym. I also know people who travel with them because they are so versatile.
  • tojo_73
    tojo_73 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I have been doing AOS Providence and (on occassion when feeling fresh) Newport for the last few years. Great videos. I would strongly recommend taking form lessons from a certified instructor before doing Kettlebells. Bad form can wreck you.

I like that I can do them in my basement in under an hour, get a full body workout and good cardio at the same time. About 80% of the excercise are full body compound excercises. I like it because it kind of hits that mid point between strength workouts and cardio workouts.

I am a big fan
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    mjwandssw wrote: »
    You probably don't need to have kettle bells unless you intend to do a Crossfit type exercise workout. If you do, if used properly, they can provide a great workout.

I don't agree with this as far as Kettlebells and Crossfit. They are at every gym I belong to, 24, my work and my athlete based gym. I don't belong to F45 but I took a class there and they were also part of the workout. I used to belong to a gym here that offered a variety of KB classes, traditional and non traditional. A competition KB gym just opened a couple months ago.

For me personally it's not something I would do at home because I like having instruction like I can get at a KB only gym. But for non traditional stuff we use them in circuit classes I take and occasionally I will incorporated them on my lifting days.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    My former trainer says women (unless disabled, have injuries, etc) should start swinging with 15 lbs minimum
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I'm sad that my gym only has up to a 60 lbs kettlebell as I can swing it 5x15. I know I can crank out more reps but I want to try a heavier one
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options

its free on youtube
  • Weaz66
    Weaz66 Posts: 1,846 Member
    Options
    I'm glad I chose to read all the responses. OP this was a great question and I learned a lot by following up!
  • Lydilod
    Lydilod Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Reading all the comments regarding how heavy a kettlebell your should use has got me a bit worried, the heaviest I can swing is a 6kg, I mostly use a 4kg and if it involves any wrist movement then I've got to use no more that a 3kg, my wrist can't cope with the weight.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Lydilod wrote: »
    Reading all the comments regarding how heavy a kettlebell your should use has got me a bit worried, the heaviest I can swing is a 6kg, I mostly use a 4kg and if it involves any wrist movement then I've got to use no more that a 3kg, my wrist can't cope with the weight.

No reason to worry. It's too bad when people say "everyone should be able to..,". This rarely applies to me. Everyone is different with different abilities, different limitations, and different preferances. Do what is challenging to YOU then progress from there. If you don't like it or can't do it, then find something that suits you better.all that matters is that we progress as individuals. It has taken me awhile to accept this, but it's the only way I can survive in the fitness world.

I don't know how heavy my first KB swing was, but likely 15 lbs. now I'm up to 35, soon 40 I hope. My trainer was pleased when I got to 35 and said most of his clients can't swing that.
  • svinson319
    svinson319 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I love Kettlebells! Lots of great and free videos on YouTube.