How do you recover?

Options
Hi all.
I had my first day at the gym and its two days later. At home I'm pretty much crawling and at work avoiding walking as much as possible and it hurts so much!
How do you recover? Do people go to the gym if they are still struggling to walk?

Replies

• Lydilod
    Lydilod Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I spent an hour yesterday morning running up an down a set of steps at a local nature reserve. Woke up this morning, oh the pain in my calves, I found that it's just better to keep moving and maybe try a foam roller.
  • imtrying22
    imtrying22 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I've been stretching throughout the day but it just feels like it's not helping at all :/
    I've never felt this sore from a workout.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,937 Member
    Options
    Try stretching in a hot bath or shower ... just be careful you don't slip.

And hydration. Make sure you drink a couple litres of water today.
  • imtrying22
    imtrying22 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    A hot bath does sound good. Will definitely be trying that! Thank you
  • Birkah
    Birkah Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Epsom salts in the hot bath help a lot too. Oil up afterwards with some coconut oil and rub, rub, rub to work out those muscle kinks.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    epsom salt bath and heating pads

foam rollers can help too, or a good massage ;)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,406 Member
    Options
    Warm bath, epsom salts if you have some. Stretching (which you're doing), and keep it fairly gentle. Foam rolling or other self-massage techniques (tennis ball or kids' firm rubber ball or lacrosse ball, in a pinch you can put a towel over muscles you can reach and use a regular kitchen rolling pin or other sturdy cylindrical thing on them). Light movement, like an easy walk or stationary bike ride or other similar easy movement (I know you said it's hard to walk; keyword is "easy"). Drink plenty of water.

And yes, as long as you don't feel as if you're injured in any way, I'd say go to the gym on your regular schedule. Of course, you can re-evaluate whether you've started with too much workload, too soon. But if you think you're on course in that larger sense, try to stick with it. Work a little lighter if you have to, but get the regular workout in if you can. It's been my experience that if I wait until the sore muscles are all gone, it's more likely to occur again repeatedly, but if I try to stay on schedule (or close) the really major sore muscles from a new activity will resolve themselves pretty quickly.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Walking, stretching, yoga, hot bath:)
  • Panda_brat
    Panda_brat Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Jacuzzi, Steam room, and sauna.
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    I like hot baths, and some mild stretches. Moving the muscles in general sucks, but it helps. Also a heating pad. I buy those re-usable ones that you can microwave and use them before I go to sleep. AWESOME.
  • luciroo
    luciroo Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    A little over a year ago I started going to Knockout classes (a combo boxing/circuit training class) at the gym after years of little to no exercise. By the 2nd day after my first class I could barely climb the stairs at home. But the more I kept going the less sore I was. Now I may be a little sore depending what else I have done (I also weight lift 3X week in addition to the 2X week class) but it's nothing like after that first class! Keep going, it won't always feel like this! I look at it as confirmation that I have done something! Also, Advil helps!
  • luciroo
    luciroo Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Also, the 2nd day out is the worst. Not sure how often you plan on going to the gym and what types of exercise you are doing there, but maybe in the beginning either go every 3 days or do a bit less exercise than you did the first time if you want to go more often.
  • eppie4
    eppie4 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I would say never exercise a sore muscle, particularly if you are weight training. But you can always do other types of exercise, stretch, and/or train other body parts. And taking branch chain amino acids daily might help you a lot with muscle recovery.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    Light stretching, myofascial release (foam rolling), eating minimum macros and micros, hydrate, hot tub....etc
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    imtrying22 wrote: »
    Hi all.
    I had my first day at the gym and its two days later. At home I'm pretty much crawling and at work avoiding walking as much as possible and it hurts so much!
    How do you recover? Do people go to the gym if they are still struggling to walk?

Read up on DOMS.

Sounds like you may have overdone it a bit on your first day at the gym. Maybe that combined with being out of shape led you to the point of crawling and avoiding walking.

The good news is that a few days or even up to a week later you will have recovered and be ready to go at it again. It does get easier, but expect the DOMS to hit you in the early going as you transition to gym use.

Was this pain just from some adaptation workout, or did you really go at it super hard?
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    When I start up a program I get extremely sore for a few days (DOMS). I just stretch, take some meds (ibuprofen), foam roll (really a lacrosse ball and mash the muscle), and try not to move unless I already started moving.

I then continue the routine within 3 days (so 2 rest days tops) even if sore and just keep working out. For me, if I take a longer rest then the DOMS is triggered again and I suffer. Now that I'm in the swing of things, I can take a week off without having DOMS when I restart, if I go longer than I'm asking for it.

Obviously, if you really injured yourself (and aren't just sore), then take time off and start back into the program more gradually.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Time is about all you can do for DOMS. You can workout again, hot showers, foam rolling etc.. and while they provide some relief temporarily but what your body is doing to repair itself is necessary will this not go away no matter what you do to it until time has passed. Depending on the severity, it can be 24 hours up to 3 days or so.

• SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    gia07 wrote: »
    Time is about all you can do for DOMS. You can workout again, hot showers, foam rolling etc.. and while they provide some relief temporarily but what your body is doing to repair itself is necessary will this not go away no matter what you do to it until time has passed. Depending on the severity, it can be 24 hours up to 3 days or so.

Or if you are older, it can take up to 9 full days. Yup. You read that right. 6-9 days is not unheard of for recovery from DOMS by those over 50.
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    I have a day of no workout/lifting. I still walk, stretch, drink, and soak in the tub. Keep the muscles moving. Then I work thru the pain. I like squatting through the DOMS- it actually gives me relief. Listen to your body-its actually a good guide. :)
  • maca416
    maca416 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Give it a days rest then get out & do it again the pain gets less & less until you crank it up again.