Options
2»

Replies

• imtrying22
    imtrying22 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    imtrying22 wrote: »
    Hi all.
    I had my first day at the gym and its two days later. At home I'm pretty much crawling and at work avoiding walking as much as possible and it hurts so much!
    How do you recover? Do people go to the gym if they are still struggling to walk?

Read up on DOMS.

Sounds like you may have overdone it a bit on your first day at the gym. Maybe that combined with being out of shape led you to the point of crawling and avoiding walking.

The good news is that a few days or even up to a week later you will have recovered and be ready to go at it again. It does get easier, but expect the DOMS to hit you in the early going as you transition to gym use.

Was this pain just from some adaptation workout, or did you really go at it super hard?

Thanks for you answer!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    For me recovery begins before the workout because I need to know my body and pace myself accordingly. I simply do not see the benefit of being so sore I cannot move, but I understand that some people prefer that approach. Not trying to be critical, just something to think about for the future. Obviously you gave it your all and that's great!
  • imtrying22
    imtrying22 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    For me recovery begins before the workout because I need to know my body and pace myself accordingly. I simply do not see the benefit of being so sore I cannot move, but I understand that some people prefer that approach. Not trying to be critical, just something to think about for the future. Obviously you gave it your all and that's great!

I did think like that too but all round the gym it says no pain no gain. I was just going by that lol
  • ybckathrin
    ybckathrin Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I felt the same way,but it does get better. I was more successful when I decided to go only every second day for a while. Now I go pretty much every day. And don't work the same area every time. I switch from upper body to core and then legs and so on.
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    When I started walking 100k steps a week I got mild leg DOMS; starting strong lifts 5x5 gave me major all over DOMS (and with basically an empty 18 lb weight bar! LOL)... today I did a 14 mile hike with climbing equivalent to 175 flights of stairs according to my Fitbit & I can feel the telltale stiffening beginning. I like the hot tub, sauna or a hot bath. Extra water or a few cups of tea. And yes, a well timed yoga class seems to work it all out.
  • chelsea7162
    chelsea7162 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I make sure I take a scoop of Vega recovery drink after a really intense workout. I'll take hot bath or shower and then massage sore muscles. I use Lush 93,000 Miles shower jelly in the shower (I store it in the freezer and take it out before I use it) and the Lush Magic Wiccy Massage bar outside after I've dried off and deeply massage my sore muscles. Don't forget to stretch when you wake up and after you work out. It doesn't cure soreness but it does help a lot. If I need a deep relaxation I'll run a hot bath with some lavender soap or a calming bath bomb. Sometimes I'll add some Epsom salts too! A little coconut oil in the water is also nice, or a Lush bath melt if I'm feeling fancy. Sometimes I'll use a foam roller, or if my lower back is so ill just shimmy my back against the counter top.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,564 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »

I did think like that too but all round the gym it says no pain no gain. I was just going by that lol

Bolded part: Frikkin' nonsense. Challenge yourself? Yes, absolutely: See what you're capable of doing!

Of course it's easy (veryVery easy) to coast through workouts, lots of people do, and you don't want to do that.

Effort, yes. Energy, yes. Strenuous work, exertion - sure. But pain? No. Really.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Hi all.
    I had my first day at the gym and its two days later. At home I'm pretty much crawling and at work avoiding walking as much as possible and it hurts so much!
    How do you recover? Do people go to the gym if they are still struggling to walk?

Drink a LOT of water - eat tons of protein. Rest.
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    Lots of food, water and rest. Basically ^^^