What protein powder do you ladies recommend?

Options
I am pretty new to lifting and was told I should be drinking a protein shake after I workout. What do you ladies recommend that you really like?

Replies

• caseylizbeth
    caseylizbeth Posts: 112 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    How much are you lifting, and how many calories/grams of protein a day are you eating? A lot of people think that because they're working out their body needs extra protein, which isn't necessarily true. Unless you're doing heavy lifting and trying to build crazy amounts of muscle, you don't need to eat more than your recommended amount, which is around 50 grams a day. As long as you're eating a healthy, balanced diet you should have more than enough protein to repair your muscles. That being said, I do keep a protein powder on hand for days when I have a smoothie instead of a meal. I really like Body Fortress Super Advanced Whey Protein Powder in the chocolate flavor. I only use one scoop at a time though, not the recommended 3 scoops.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    IMO it's completely unnecessary to have a protein shake after a workout, unless you're training for competition or something.

I disagree with the other poster though, 50 grams of protein is really too little to maintain muscle mass (and not be hungry) while losing weight... I'd aim for at least 80g.

Anyway, I like Quest protein the best, as it thickens nicely in oatmeal and yogurt (which is what I use it in).
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    IMO it's completely unnecessary to have a protein shake after a workout, unless you're training for competition or something.

I disagree with the other poster though, 50 grams of protein is really too little to maintain muscle mass (and not be hungry) while losing weight... I'd aim for at least 80g.

Anyway, I like Quest protein the best, as it thickens nicely in oatmeal and yogurt (which is what I use it in).

I second this post completely; Quest has never disappointed me, except their newer Cookies & Cream flavor isn't as great as I was hoping. My favorite flavor from them are the Vanilla Milkshake (it's so versatile and you can make so many different flavored smoothies with it), Peanut Butter, and Banana Cream! If you write to them they'll probably send you free samples to try, or you could pick up sample packets at GNC :)
  • amazingames82
    amazingames82 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Awesome thank you ladies!!
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    PEScience for real... I used to be exclusively Quest everything, but these guys know their *kitten*. All the flavours are bomb, but the Snickerdoodle and Cookies and Cream are out of this world!
  • dirtroadrunner3
    dirtroadrunner3 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I use isopure unflavored whey or their no carb vanilla. It's gross tho and I have to add a bit of chocolate syrup lol! I only use one scoop at a time. Each scoop is 25 grams of protein at a time.
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Another vote for Quest. IMO the cookies and cream one is amazing!
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    I will drink 16 oz of skim milk with a bit of chocolate syrup.
    16 grams of protein.
    Just in case you run out of powders, you can use this as a back up.
    Before trying a $50 bag of powder, consider trying a protein bar of that brand first.
    Don't forget to look at stores like walmart or target. If you don't like the taste, they let you return it no questions asked.
  • Fursian
    Fursian Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    16 grams of protein.
    Before trying a $50 bag of powder, consider trying a protein bar of that brand first.
    Don't forget to look at stores like walmart or target. If you don't like the taste, they let you return it no questions asked.

Good to know!
  • antennachick
    antennachick Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    MMR order offline with Amazon or iherb. costco has a good veggie one in both chocolate and vanilla (orgain)
  • WithWhatsLeft
    WithWhatsLeft Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    annette_15 wrote: »
    PEScience for real... I used to be exclusively Quest everything, but these guys know their *kitten*. All the flavours are bomb, but the Snickerdoodle and Cookies and Cream are out of this world!

Blondie is my absolute favorite.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    16 grams of protein.

Walmart will not return an opened food product.
  • nakiahsmom
    nakiahsmom Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I like the Cellucor whey protein. I have tried every flavor they are really tasty!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I prefer a casein or whey/casein blend because it works well in baking and making protein fluff. I use the PEScience snicker doodle. I used to like Quest but after using this and then trying Quest, it's just not on the same level.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    annette_15 wrote: »

Blondie is my absolute favorite.

Blondie is really good too.
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    I bought a store brand called Aria. It was on sale and looked comparable to the others. When I got home, I noticed it said it is for women. Not sure if there is any difference. I haven't tasted it yet.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    I hate Quest. I like Vcore from complete nutrition, it completely dissoves in my coffee and has taken the place of sugar and creamer. I agree you don't really need one post workout but I use it to hit my protein goals.
  • emmaline101
    emmaline101 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I use Sunwarrior which is a vegan one.
  • nicolayael
    nicolayael Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I weight train (heavy) 5-6 days a week and am on a low carb/high protein diet. I drink Protizyme protein powder (26 G protein only 2 g carbs) best powder I've found so far, but very pricey. I also put in a yes vote for Quest (the salted caramel tastes AMAZING). Both mix well with water if you're carb watching. Remember, if your goal is weight loss, and you're not burning the added calories from the shakes it will still convert to stored fat, so if you have a knowledgable trainer at your gym that can give you diet advice based on your weight training level, I'd ask for a personalized macronutrients goal for what you're trying to achieve.
  • Triplestep
    Triplestep Posts: 239 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    nicolayael wrote: »
    ... so if you have a knowledgable trainer at your gym that can give you diet advice based on your weight training level, I'd ask for a personalized macronutrients goal for what you're trying to achieve.
    Just don't assume trainers are qualified to give nutrition advice by virtue of the fact that they are fitness trainers. They may have personal opinions and preferences, but advising on diet and nutrition are not part of their education unless they have taken an additional degree or certification. (So says my trainer. :smile: )