Why would I want to do that?

Options
So I started this journey in November at 289.5lb (5'1" Female) and just over three months later 41lb down and at under 250lb people are starting to comment on my weight loss, on how well I'm doing, what diet am I following and that I should give low carb a try to lose even quicker.

Not sure how to answer them, for one thing low carb/high fat isn't an option for me, I don't have a gall bladder so I need to keep my fat intake under control. Plus I don't want/need to lose weight any faster, I'm currently averaging a stone a month, which is more than enough and probably won't continue much longer. And I don't want to ban any foods, I like having the occasional burger, the odd chocolate and rare piece of cake. Oh and I suffered from hyperemesis during 6 pregnancies (severe vomiting) and would be admitted to hospital when I went in to ketosis, hated the way my body was poisoning itself and can't imagine why anyone would deliberately put themselves in that state (unless there are life saving side effects as with severe epilepsy).

When I tell them that my "diet" is simply eat less/move more and that I recommend signing up to here and logging everything they eat (the simple act of logging the food helped me reduce my intake), then get a fitness tracker to motivate and encourage movement, they look at me as if I'm mad. Then when I tell them that I haven't banned any food, if it fits in with my calories for the day I eat it (and if it doesn't fit and I really want it then I'll do circuits of the house until it does fit), their jaws drop. But still they try to sell me the low carb/high fat diet, a 1200Calorie diet or whatever the latest fad is.

Replies

• runningalice
    runningalice Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    First off congratulations!! The diet is obviously working! And i think just telling them that well this is working so im going to stick at it! I know its hard to get them to go away and i watch my friends doing it! I think saying that it is a lifestyle change not a diet and this is how you want to keep eating even when all the weight you want to loose is gone! But keep at it :)
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    In the immortal words of Asleep at the Wheel: "You've got to dance with who brung you". Congratulations on your loss, I bet you feel so much better! Just tell those nosy interfering people that you have found your "sweet spot" and you are going to stay with what works.

Probably not worth getting into with some people, but going low carb will not make you lose faster unless you reduce your calories even more with it. It is just a fad that comes and goes (this is the 3rd time low carb dieting has become a "thing" in my lifetime). As long as you are losing at a safe rate, feel good, and have the energy you need, there is no reason to try anything different.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Great work so far! And welcome to the "smile and nod when people offer unsolicited diet advice" club. Many of us encounter the same types of comments and advice--I was once frantically waved down while jogging past a neighbor who I thought was having an emergency. Nope, he wanted to sell me some sort of weight loss shake. You learn to just let it go, let the comments slide off, etc. after a bit.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on all of your progress! I'm glad you have such a healthy approach.

I've experienced the same instances as you where people are in disbelief that the ~*secret*~ to weight loss is eat less and/or move more. They do the same as I do, but don't lose weight so my metabolism is "fast". They "eat healthy" but can't lose. They don't have time to count calories because they have a busy life, so the implication is that my life is about nothing but weight loss. It's all thinly veiled insults so they don't have to take responsibility for the fact that they aren't as busy/active as they think and they also eat too much.

Low-carb diets are not necessary. The reason why people think you lose weight faster on a low-carb diet is because when you go low-carb your glycogen stores are depleted and you initially lose more water weight; it stabilizes in time. This is why after a week or two of going low-carb, people claim to "stall" since they aren't seeing the scale moving anymore or people claim that it doesn't work. Then when you reintroduce carbs to your diet, your glycogen stores are replenished. Many people who eat carbs again after a brief stint on a low-carb diet will then claim that they "gained all the weight back" or the low-carb diet simply doesn't work instead of realizing it's just some of that water weight coming right back.

Fad diets are a crock. This is why most people fail. If it's not sustainable for life, there's no point. People would argue that calorie counting for life isn't sustainable either, but it's really not that hard to track your food intake. Also, people can easily stop tracking their food and see how they do based on instinct for two weeks. If they gain weight, they can easily reassess their intake and adjust it. Calorie counting teaches you about portion control and after a while you become accustomed to what you should be eating on a daily basis.

• vivelajackie
    vivelajackie Posts: 321 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    People don't want to believe that weightloss is achievable without jumping through hoops and spending loads on this diet and that diet. So they act weird and try to suggest other things. Just ignore them and keep being awesome. Congrats on your loss thus far. :)
  • Lucille4444
    Lucille4444 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    You know what works for you. I agree with jemhh, just smile and nod. Many who give advice are trying to help, (even though it isn't helpful if you've found a successful WOE) it doesn't hurt to just nod.
  • ziggy2006
    ziggy2006 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I agree, people want becoming healthy to be complicated so that they have an excuse as to why they haven't achieved it. Smile, nod with a neutral "How fascinating. I'm so glad that is working for you.", and ignore.
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I get the same thing. They are amazed at the noticeable loss then proceed to tell me I'm not going to lose weight counting calories. I just walk away lol.
  • lemonychild
    lemonychild Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    U clearly have it figured out darling , if it ain't broke don't fix it. Ure doing the exact right thing, as u are going to live ur life like this forever not having to live on banning food left and right. I say keep at it and let the naysayers ...
  • tryasimighty
    tryasimighty Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I would suspect these people may be carrying a few extra pounds themselves?! I agree that nobody wants to believe calories and exercise are the key to long term, sustainable weightloss... but it is and is clearly working for you! Very well done for making the change, keep it up!!
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Somehow the low carb craze has become so pervasive that people literally think you can't lose weight any other way. It's really gotten ridiculous.
  • MarziDeThrall
    MarziDeThrall Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I think people notice this kind of thing much more when it pertains to weight loss because it's such a very personal battle. People (especially family members) are going to have an opinion about everything you do. Whether it's your diet, your hairstyle, how to finance your car, how to raise your kids, your choice in men/women, your career...what have you. I think giving advice is basically a conversation starter for some people. Like @jemhh said, you just have to smile and nod. Then change the subject as soon as they pause to take a breath, lol.
  • Bowsergirl
    Bowsergirl Posts: 89 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Congratulations on your weight loss!
    This is really frustrating. The instructor of my anatomy and physiology class told me that I should stop calorie counting and start swapping out my foods for "healthier" versions. Everyone was agreeing with her. But I'm the one successfully losing weight (I'm down 35 pounds). Yeah it would be nice if I could get more vegetables into my diet, but eating white rice is not as detrimental to my health as everyone was saying it is.
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    This is why I don't go into detail with people when they ask what I am doing to lose weight. If I don't tell them about some magic fat burning miracle, or overly restrictive VLCD, they are disinterested at best, or, at worst, tell me that what I'm doing doesn't work. So I started just giving really vague answers and then changing the subject:

"What are you doing to lose weight?"

"Oh, you know...this and that. Just being careful. Hey....is that a dinosaur?"

Eventually they stopped asking.
  • ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Everyone has an opinion.

My spouse (I hope) has finally stopped trying to get me to do 5:2, which he kind of half does. Just last night he acted annoyed and said that he thought it was "too anal" that I was using a food scale to measure my dinner. But even he had to admit that "it's working".

So keep on, and just smile and nod.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    ilex70 wrote: »
    Everyone has an opinion.

My spouse (I hope) has finally stopped trying to get me to do 5:2, which he kind of half does. Just last night he acted annoyed and said that he thought it was "too anal" that I was using a food scale to measure my dinner. But even he had to admit that "it's working".

So keep on, and just smile and nod.

That's funny. The only thing 5:2 does is allows people to eat more five days of the week and the sacrifice is eating next to nothing for two of them. That seems more anal and a drastic measure that could easily be avoided by using a food scale and maintaining a decent deficit every day like you're doing. There is zero benefit of IF over your method.
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the kind words. I think I'll just smile nicely and then carry on as I am, setting myself little challenges as I go (not always weight based). I won't be doing any fad diets, eating less, moving more and accountability seems to be what works for me.
  • dammitjanet0161
    dammitjanet0161 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    How rude that you've done so well and people are advising how to lose more!

Agree with all of the above, just ignore the "noise" and stick with what works for you.

• WendyLaubach
    WendyLaubach Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I think people are just fascinated with weight loss and want to talk about it. If they have no idea what they're talking about, they're going to fill in with whatever they've been hearing, reading, or even wishing. Best to let it roll off our backs! I've certainly done enough of it myself in my time. No matter what they say, you don't have to take their advice, and you sure can't get them to take yours. (But it is extremely funny to receive lectures from people about the process that you are succeeding in and they are not.)

For those few people who will actually get pushy and ask impertinent questions, I recommend Miss Manners' all-purpose response, with a nice, neutral smile, "How soon do you need to know?"--or, in a severe case, "What an extraordinary question!" (repeated as necessary without letting the smile waver).
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    You could perfectly honestly and seriously say that you have medical concerns that dictate your diet and you and your medical team are happy with your progress. Then change the subject.