Splurge day

Options
This will be my first splurge day since being on maintenance (actually since being on MFP). Having Chinese for lunch also for the first time since starting MFP. May even have a glass of wine for Valentine's Day! Anyone else ever have an occasional 'splurge' day without feeling guilty? I know I'm going to feel a little guilty myself. LOL

Replies

• ACanadian22
    ACanadian22 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I do every Sunday, and sill losing :) But, call it "Reward" day!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I have it very often, but it fits in my calories, so why not? I just make my higher calorie meal lunch, so I'm less hungry the rest of the day and it's easier to make it fit (saving calories for dinner is tough for me, I usually eat most of my calories by 2pm).
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,259 Member
    Options
    Sure, even during weight loss. I just try to keep it to true special occasions as much as possible.

My de-stress approach is to do the math: Log it as accurately as I can, estimate how much extra weight that means based on calories in excess of maintenance (usually a tiny number, way less than a pound!), and guess based on experience how long that will take to drop off at my usual routine (not very long, usually less than a week including the water weight).

Having a decent "how much gain" estimate helps me be philosophical when the water weight makes there be a bigger number than that on the scale for a couple of days.

I'm sure this wouldn't help everyone, but treating my weight like a science fair project usually takes emotion out of it for me.
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Agree with @ACanadian22. Folks work hard to get into maintenance mode, we should reward ourselves. I don't have a whole cheat day, but I will give myself one less-than-ideally-healthy meal, usually on Saturday night, where I can just relax and have something a little more... naughty, and not feel guilty about it. I don't go off the deep end or anything, like a whole plate of Ultimate Nachos and a giant bacon cheeseburger in one sitting. Last night we had pizza, so I had 3 pieces of cheese pizza and a beer. Logged it in, built it into my day, and I actually lost weight when I woke up today. I try to work out on cheat meal days so I give myself a calorie cushion just in case, too.

Just relax and enjoy the fruits of your labor! You earned it!
  • Claps1775
    Claps1775 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    My wife and I have been using MFP apk for over a month now. We worked on eating better and now it is better compared to a year ago or 6 months ago. Always improve. Last week we went to a chinese restaurant we like to eat at. Been since December may be November of 2015 when we ate there last. Well, last Saturday we ate there and wow, did we feel fat and bloated from it. We are finding that eating out is limited on what we like and not feeling nasty after it. But we still like to have a cheat day. Went to Panera today and had cheese and broccoli soup. That was good. Could not eat all of the bread bowl.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Every week. I plan for it or am just aware of what it will do to my efforts if it is unplanned.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    goodness gracious YES of course :smiley: Every Saturday and Sunday are my 'splurge' days, but then I plan for them all week even in maintenance I keep a bit of a deficit week days so at the weekends I can eat MORE :smiley: maintenance rocks :smiley:
  • Dreysander
    Dreysander Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Yesterday because it was Valentine's day. Not guilty in the slightest :)
  • areallycoolstory
    areallycoolstory Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    i hope you enjoyed your chinese food. i don't really call them splurge days. but do have days where i eat out, and i have pizza, chinese, mexican, or whatever. i plan it out so it still fits my calories. i have done this throughout. and as i get closer to maintenance, i am including more foods which i a haven't eaten in a while. today i had a cheeseburger for lunch at a favorite place of mine. i haven't gone there since joining mfp. it was pretty spontaneous as well, so i hadn't planned my food around the burger as i usually would. i took a look at what i had for breakfast and figured out what i could have for dinner if included the burger. since i still came in under calories, i didn't feel guilty at all. and i really enjoyed the burger. so far this has worked for me:-)
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    Every weekend. I look at my total calories for the week, and eat a little under maintenance during the week so I have the calories.
  • ScoobaChick
    ScoobaChick Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Usually once per week. I try to do the math so that it fits in with my weekly calorie intake. I call it my indulgence day. It is not so much calorie indulgence but my macros are usually way off (usually fat is way above what it usually is).

When I can I try to make it a lunch instead of a dinner because then I still have the rest of the day to make up for it in case I really indulge (i.e., have cake).

Oh and I make sure that I really savour and enjoy every bite!
  • tabletmfp
    tabletmfp Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Sure, even during weight loss. I just try to keep it to true special occasions as much as possible.

My de-stress approach is to do the math: Log it as accurately as I can, estimate how much extra weight that means based on calories in excess of maintenance (usually a tiny number, way less than a pound!), and guess based on experience how long that will take to drop off at my usual routine (not very long, usually less than a week including the water weight).

Having a decent "how much gain" estimate helps me be philosophical when the water weight makes there be a bigger number than that on the scale for a couple of days.

I'm sure this wouldn't help everyone, but treating my weight like a science fair project usually takes emotion out of it for me.

I cheat and dont log every Saturday night with a big dinner or take away meal with desert and plenty of alcohol. The rest of the week I stick rigidly to my plan. In doing this my weight stays much the same. Yes maintenance rocks!
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I only got 160 calories more for maintenance but really love the extra. I took my son out to breakfast this am and had half a cheese and bacon omelet and half the potatoes. No toast. I also fit the meals out into my calories. I can only eat half though. I'll have the other half for dinner tomorrow.
  • mimiofmaddox
    mimiofmaddox Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I try not to call them 'splurge' days. I have been on maintenance since last June, and have actually lost another 10 lbs. Not needed, but feels great none the less. I try not to deprive myself during the week so I don't feel I need more than I should have on my 'splurge' days. I eat sensibly, stay within my calorie limit, including my exercise bonus. A 'cheat' day for me would be shrimp fajitas at my favorite mexican restaurant. 2 shells only, not the 3 they give you. I choose not to the eat the rice as it is loaded with calories and only a hand full of chips at the beginning. That satisfies my taste buds and gives me one of my favorite meals.

As far as chinese, opt for the grilled chicken/shrimp with broccoli and mushrooms. Forgo the rice or really limit your quantity. Tons of sodium, but a better choice than anything fried. Remember, a 1/2 cup of rice has about 200 calories. That's not much to eat for the quantity of calories it has. Opt for a salad with ginger dressing.
  • mimiofmaddox
    mimiofmaddox Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    The longer you stay on maintenance, with the addition of exercise, your body readjusts its metabolism. I've had no trouble maintaining and am still excited every Wednesday I step on the scale.
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    Yes. I purposely overeat occasionally (like if it is a holiday or occasion where there is feasting), and try to stuff it all in one day; and also have more relaxed standards for weekends (slightly over calories and usually drinks on Friday/Sat as well) I do log it. I am not interested in losing weight quickly, and try hard not to get anxious over small and transient increases. I want a very slow weight loss for the very few pounds I'd like to drop, and want it to come more from increasing exercise than tightening up the diet.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I call that life. I hit my weekly goals. Life is too short to be on a 'diet'. Enjoy.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    Like @nxd10 said, that's life. I have worked to eradicate any feelings of guilt when connected to food. It's a really freeing way to live.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    This will be my first splurge day since being on maintenance (actually since being on MFP). Having Chinese for lunch also for the first time since starting MFP. May even have a glass of wine for Valentine's Day! Anyone else ever have an occasional 'splurge' day without feeling guilty? I know I'm going to feel a little guilty myself. LOL

I splurge, but unless I get drunk, I feel really guilty. It's a big problem for me. I'll feel guilty for eating a single chocolate chip.
  • DWBalboa
    DWBalboa Posts: 37,256 Member
    Options

No guilt here. If I have earned it then I treat myself and it sounds as if you have earned it.