Soup Diet

Options
Not sure why I haven't read more of this. My diet has consisted of having a lot of soup and it has been working out well. Simple vegetable soups with carrots, onions, zucchini, squash, etc. .low in calories and delicious. It's been working for me. More should give this a try.

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    If that floats your boat, why not. I find that soup leaves me hungry not long after, and I've had wonderful success eating pretty much what I like within my calorie goal.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    If that floats your boat, why not. I find that soup leaves me hungry not long after, and I've had wonderful success eating pretty much what I like within my calorie goal.

This
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    If it's meeting your nutritional requirements (proteins, fats, carbs, vitamins, minerals, fibre, etc) there's nothing wrong with it. I like soups, but balancing it nutritionally if that's the only thing you are eating seems like it could be a challenge. I like chuncky soups with chicken/turkey, so it could be done.
  • trjjoy
    trjjoy Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Soups are amazing!!! It really fills me up for hours.
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    The soups that I like are creamy or cheesy, hard to fit in every day.

Watery soups are like shakes, don't fill me up and pass through much too quickly.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Not sure why I haven't read more of this. My diet has consisted of having a lot of soup and it has been working out well. Simple vegetable soups with carrots, onions, zucchini, squash, etc. .low in calories and delicious. It's been working for me. More should give this a try.

This is a book that talks about the science behind soups being filling, if you want to read more about it.
    http://health.usnews.com/best-diet/volumetrics-diet

There's rarely much in the way of diets to read about here besides "I eat everything in moderation".
  • bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    Options
    I like roast pumpkin and carrot soup, cauliflower and kale soup, minestrone, chicken noodle soup....
    But I couldn't eat soup more than a few times a week without getting sick of it.
  • karahm78
    karahm78 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I love soup, but the ones I like typically have too much sodium for me to base my diet around, I would blow up like a balloon!
  • trjjoy
    trjjoy Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    The soups that I like are creamy or cheesy, hard to fit in every day.

I often make a cream-based leek and potato soup. One serving is something like 100 calories only.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I love making broth soups on the weekends with my husband. We both find them so filling. It's something we enjoy doing together and has low calories, I will take it.
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I happen to dislike soup, and creamy or cheesy soups almost always make me gag. It's weird because otherwise I'm really into ALL kinds of food.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I love soup too, but I need variety, and one batch lasts me for two days, so I make one every two weeks or so, the other weeks some kind of casserole. I rotate through pepper/tomato, butternut squash, green peas, spinach, mushroom, carrot, onion and lentils, minestrone, every twelve weeks. The five first soups are just vegetables and creamy from blending, no cream added (except the carrot soup which contains coconut cream), just a little oil and butter, but they make me very full for very long, for very few calories.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    unless you want to eat only soups the rest of your life, might want to learn how to incorporate more foods into your 'diet'.

i like soup, but wouldnt want to eat it every day.
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    I can't really do soup because for me there is absolutely no point unless I put in an entire sleeve of saltine crackers. Kinda blows my calorie count lol. I don't put them all in at once, just several after every single bite.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I usually have 1 cup soup most days at about 1030AM. I always have homemade soups on hand. It does help with my appetite and is comforting. B)
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    @SiriusVilla - I'd look at your protein intake - a diet focused on soup will generally result in missing on protein needs. You seem to have a few very low protein days - keep an eye on that.
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    unless you want to eat only soups the rest of your life, might want to learn how to incorporate more foods into your 'diet'.

i like soup, but wouldnt want to eat it every day.

Yep. This.

That's why I like incorporating all foods in moderation, which has somehow turned into something bad around here.
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    I love soup- always have. Recently I've been making pans and pans of the stuff-mostly veg soup or leek and broccolli. One of the reasons is because as fast as i make it , my husband eats it all- lol. Thats okay though.

In fact I have a pan of root vegeatble soup on the stove right now.
  • gwayby
    gwayby Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Hubs and I love soup -- I've been making it from scratch at least twice a week for the past two months. Skinnytaste.com has some amazing recipes where a single serving is usually under 200 calories.

Before I was calorie counting, I would usually toast a bagel and dip that in my soup. Can't do that now, so I usually toast half a slice of a good 7 grain bread from a local bakery, and also have 1 or 2 slices of that 35 calorie bread from the grocery store. Filling, and low-cal enough that usually there's room for a bowl of fruit for dessert!
  • WendyLaubach
    WendyLaubach Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Soup is one of my favorites. I'm sorry they're so difficult to find in restaurants, beyond the omnipresent broccoli-cheese and the like. Vietnamese and Thai restaurants are great places for soup. I make a lot of soup at home, too. Just love it.