Be the weed

Options
My garden has taught me many things. Among other things, how to remain optimistic and positive in the face of adversity. Let me explain. Like every gardener knows there are plants that you would like to see thrive and others that you'd rather not see. We like to call them weeds, not b/c there is anything bad about them, simply that they are in the wrong place at the wrong time. So of I go, on my knees, pulling them out, cutting them down, digging them up, and then a few hours later I look back and heave a satisfied sigh. But, lo and behold, a few days later I spy a few of them returning, tentative at first, but soon back to their former "glorious" self. So I pull some more, dig a little deeper, look a little closer, all in an attempt to gain the upper hand, to be the eradicator. But no matter how determined I am, always some will come creeping back, sometimes quickly, sometimes slowly.
And then it hit me. IF only our hopes could be like these weeds. NO matter how hard someone tries to cut us up, destroy our hopes, no matter how much life and circumstances want to dig our hopes up and throw them away, if we had just a little bit more resilience, like those weeds on mine, there would be just about nothing that could keep us down.
Too often, I have read some blogs here how someone felt like giving up, giving in after hearing an unflattering comment, some negative remark, seeing some less than stellar progress or heaven forbid, see the scale move up a pound. Well, next time this happens, ask yourself: "What would the weed do"? Would it crumble up and give up. NO, it would find some hidden strength, some overlooked piece of root, deep down where my probing fingers could not find it and Rise again.
So, next time life gets you down and you question yourself say instead: 'I am the weed, strong like the weed, my weedy spirit shall prevail, I am no dainty rose." Be the weed, my friends, be the weed.

Replies

• westwick1
    westwick1 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    LOL! I am going to be the weed :) Great post
  • poseyj88
    poseyj88 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Love this!
  • cathcakey
    cathcakey Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Very nicely put!
  • cherrydietcoke1
    Options
    love it!!!! xxxxx
  • Kichelchen
    Kichelchen Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    So, to link this with your post yesterday, we should all be the *wheeeeeeeeeeeeeed* :D
  • karen0201
    karen0201 Posts: 15
    Options
    Love this, made me smile!
    Be the weeed! xXx
  • Carol_27
    Carol_27 Posts: 40
    Options
    love this too and seriously 'be the weeeeeeeeeed' you might have a serious following now, maybe make a whole 'Be the Weed' movement?? just throwing ideas out there, great story!!
  • psb13
    psb13 Posts: 629
    Options
    LOVE this. thanks :bigsmile:
  • Marsha_S
    Marsha_S Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I love this, thank you for posting! I'm now officially a weed!!
  • SusanRenee35
    SusanRenee35 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    You seriously should be an author or write your own column!!! I love reading your inspirational metaphors & awakenings...you are always a good read my friend! Thank you! :)
  • kenlad64
    kenlad64 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Great analogy and it is great to have a “weed nurturer” like you on my side. ….Oh by the way, there is plenty of gardening/yard work that needs to be done over here!
  • rhodes2b
    rhodes2b Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I am the weed!
  • WolffEarl
    WolffEarl Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    So, to link this with your post yesterday, we should all be the *wheeeeeeeeeeeeeed* :D

Ah you did make me smile young lady.