Ashamed of my body

Options
I have gained a lot of weight. I used to be 165 but now im 230 in a 2 year span. I tore my acl and meniscus, which i just ate to suppress my dissapointment. I just re tore my acl and meniscus. I do not want to gain more weight. Any tips on losing weight after surgery and how to stop binge eating?

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Don't pick an agressive weight loss because an aggressive goal will create bingeing and you don't need exercise to lose weight.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    MFP is acting wonky. I want to add get better quick :)
  • NikkyT30
    NikkyT30 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Log your food without the exercise. If it helps change your settings to maintain weight till your back to being active. That or you could always workout around the injury. Good luck:)
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    You may be able to do upper body exercises, provided you get your doctor's okay. Otherwise, don't worry about exercise. You've suffered a serious injury. As far as feeling ashamed, taking action to change things is the best way to do away with shame. You're making changes and that's great - feel good about that.

I would echo the advice to not set an aggressive calorie goal. You may want to keep "trouble foods" out of reach (or out of the house) until you're feeling stronger around them. You can continue to eat all your favorite foods, but of course will need to watch portions so that you don't exceed your calorie limit.

Focus on recovering and making small changes. You can shed the weight and come back stronger than ever.
  • catt952
    catt952 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Perhaps one reason you are 'binge eating' is because you have a serious injury ad your body needs energy to heal it. Make sure you do not drop your calories too low or you are neglecting your body's needs. Listen to your hunger, do not let yourself go hungry, this is just ignoring the body's one way of communicating it's need for energy for healing, hormones ect. Are you able to go to the pool with your injury and do light swimming?
  • kittiechelle
    kittiechelle Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    diontre840 wrote: »
    I have gained a lot of weight. I used to be 165 but now im 230 in a 2 year span. I tore my acl and meniscus, which i just ate to suppress my dissapointment. I just re tore my acl and meniscus. I do not want to gain more weight. Any tips on losing weight after surgery and how to stop binge eating?

• kittiechelle
    kittiechelle Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Trust me I do understand. I have recently looked into weight lose surgery. People believe it will keep off the weig6, however it's a jump start in keeping off the weight and the good part about it is uou will have a better support systems with the team of doctor's and nutritionist behind you to encourage you. Also they have group support with people who has already been through it. I took the online webinar for information that's what you have to start. Don't give up. You can do it. God bless.
  • getty123
    getty123 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Make exercising a habit stop checking the scale.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    getty123 wrote: »
    Make exercising a habit stop checking the scale.

Did you read the original post? The OP has a torn ACL and meniscus. Not only did he not ask about exercise specifically, he can't do any lower body exercise. I don't get where your reply is coming from...?

• Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    diontre840 wrote: »

You are young with nothing but blue sky and sunshine ahead. I recommend taking up swimming. Do all the PT and rehab that is recommended. Do core and upper body workouts. Many people have come back from ACL and other knee injuries, so why not you?
  • ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Figure out a reasonable goal by plugging in your info to MFP.

Think about things you like to eat that help you stay full and satisfied and will work within your calorie budget. For most people getting plenty of protein, a reasonable amount of fat, and using low calorie veggies to add bulk to meals works well.

If you like to eat more at certain times then be sure to leave calories to eat then. Not hungry in the morning? No problem, skip breakfast or eat lightly. Want a big dinner? Then budget the bulk of your calories for then. I like to eat again after dinner so I budget some calories for that. You don't want to set yourself up to binge, plan to eat things you like in moderation when you want them.

Once you've got the eating side nailed down and have healed some you might check out working out in a pool...e.g. water aerobics. Not all classes are equally good, some instructors seem to think that lots of kicks and jumps are just fine since you are in water, but the snap at the end of a kick is no good for you water or not.

Last time I lost a lot of weight walking and water aerobics were my two regular activities. I have arthritis in my knees, torn meniscus in my left, and plantar fasciitis in my right foot. My inspiration in that class was another middle aged lady with MS. She had to stay by the side of the pool, but she showed up and did what she could.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    That sucks. Just remember what Adrian Peterson did 9 months after complete knee reconstruction. You can come back from this. Regarding the not gaining weight, you just have to cut back on the calories as others have said. Talk to the doctor and PT about any type of exercise you can do, but the real place you will lose is in the kitchen. You can do, this. I had 8 upper body orthopedic surgeries over the course of 6 years and didn't gain any weight (I'm in my 50's). You just have to control your eating.

Also, talk to the PT when you get to that point. Explain to him/her that you want to get active again as soon as possible and you are willing to put in the work and have a little pain if needed to speed the process (without going stupid and tearing up the repair). I did this with my PT and my recovery was significantly faster. The PT explained that many people don't really work very hard at the rehab, so they dumb it down somewhat not to overwhelm people.

Best of luck.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Start slow and build. Weight loss happens in the kitchen, not the gym. Yes, exercise helps, but it's perfectly doable to lose weight without exercise. I did.

My advice: Start with weighing and logging EVERYTHING for a week. Get used to logging, and use that week to learn about your current eating habits. What times of day do you get hungriest? What foods make you fill fuller? That kind of thing. Then, once you have that, make a small change. Something like swapping out soda for something without calories. Or, swap out regular cola for diet, if you like diet. Just something small that's easy to do. Give yourself a week, and then change something else. It is much slower, but look at it not as losing weight (though you will), but as changing your eating habits. Once you get to the point where you can exercise, you'll already be on the right road and exercise will contribute.

And exercise in a pool is a good idea too. Much less stress and impact on the body. Talk to your PT or doctor about it and see if they can give you some exercises you can do to start out with.