Olive Oil - Eveyrone uses it in videos for low cal foods - But it has 120 Cal per TBSP.

Options
I started dieting making vegetables - sauté in a pan with Olive Oil, Roast in the oven with Olive Oil. All of the videos I watched on Youtube of low cal veggies showed this. I didn't log my Olive oil on my tracker. Then one day I looked at the bottle -120 cal per TBSP. That is ALOT of calories. Spinach goes from 30 cals to 150 cals... Did anyone else ever come to this realization? I am using I cant believe its not butter now - 35 cal per TBSP which is better. Im just curious why Olive Oil is so popular?

Replies

• _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    It tastes good?
  • UG77
    UG77 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I've cut all oils out of my daily eating. Empty calories with no nutritional value is my reasoning. You can actually water saute.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    It tastes good, is a good fat, and usually is divided up over several servings.
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    I use Olive Oil in my salads but sparingly (i.e. 1/2 tbsp mixed with 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar).
    I bake my chicken and fish in the oven so no oil (nor butter) there. Just their own juices.
    I believe Olives and Olive Oils are healthy fats, but in moderation.
    Good luck in your healthy journey
  • JHALLISGETTINGsmall
    Options
    I am going to try the water sauté... Havent ever tried that. Just put a Tbsp of water in the pan? I have tried the sprays which is fine - - but I just don't understand why everyone is pouring olive oil over all their veggies - and it is HIGH in calorie
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    It is a healthy oil, and is good for you.
    All things in moderation.
  • mean_and_lean
    mean_and_lean Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    It's popular because it's good for you. Olive oil -- the extra virgin kind, not the "light" -- protects LDL particles from oxidative damage – a key step in the heart disease process. It's high in monounsaturated fats which can lower your risk for heart disease. I use it all the time for cooking, baking when the recipe calls for oil, I put it on my bread, my food after it's been cooked. It's pretty much replaced butter in my house.
  • Kullerva
    Kullerva Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    Well, I've always thought olive oil is overrated, so I use canola when I use cooking oil at all. While both are highly caloric, they are a good source of *healthy* fats, which you do need to lose weight. Canola oil is rich in two fatty acids that are essential in your diet because your body can't make them: Alpha-linolenic acid (ALA) and linoleic acid (LA). The second is absolutely essential for me because bad cholesterol runs in the family, and LA reduces the bad cholesterol.

Also, fat tends to make those leafy greens/veggies more satiating and satisfying. Fat digests more slowly than carbs (about the same as some proteins), so it helps you feel fuller longer.

My two cents. I never much liked olive oil but I use canola for all my egg and veggie frying needs.
  • kami3006
    Options
    I am going to try the water sauté... Havent ever tried that. Just put a Tbsp of water in the pan? I have tried the sprays which is fine - - but I just don't understand why everyone is pouring olive oil over all their veggies - and it is HIGH in calorie

A little goes a long way though. I have never soaked my vegetables with it.
  • kami3006
    Options
    Kullerva wrote: »
    Well, I've always thought olive oil is overrated, so I use canola when I use cooking oil at all. While both are highly caloric, they are a good source of *healthy* fats, which you do need to lose weight. Canola oil is rich in two fatty acids that are essential in your diet because your body can't make them: Alpha-linolenic acid (ALA) and linoleic acid (LA). The second is absolutely essential for me because bad cholesterol runs in the family, and LA reduces the bad cholesterol.

Also, fat tends to make those leafy greens/veggies more satiating and satisfying. Fat digests more slowly than carbs (about the same as some proteins), so it helps you feel fuller longer.

My two cents. I never much liked olive oil but I use canola for all my egg and veggie frying needs.

I use canola for high temp cooking and olive for lower. I like it equally as well as olive.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,001 Member
    Options
    Your body needs fat for a lot of functions, including using fat-soluble vitamins. Plus it tastes good and has unsaturated, non-hydrogenated fat, if you care about that.

That said, you don't need a tablespoon of oil to saute or roast some spinach. One to two teaspoons should be plenty if you're roasting or using a nonstick pan to saute, depending on whether you're cooking for one to two people or for a larger family.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,007 Member
    Options
    kami3006 wrote: »

This^.
    It also doesn't take a lot of olive oil. I usually don't use a full TBSP of it. I always seem to use more butter when I saute than olive oil. My husband on the other hand loves to dip bread in it and he has never had weight issues.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    I could never add a full tbsp of oil to what I'm cooking, like spinach. That's a lot of frickin' oil. I use 3-5g of oil when I saute and that's more than enough.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    UG77 wrote: »
    I've cut all oils out of my daily eating. Empty calories with no nutritional value is my reasoning. You can actually water saute.

While water sauté is fine if that's what you want to do, to say is olive oil is empty calories couldn't be more wrong. Fats are a macro that should be eaten and olive oil is full of good fats.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I use a no-stick pan with no-stick spray for sauteeing vegetables.

Calorie-wise, olive oil is about the same as most other cooking oils, so that's not its big advantage.

Olive oil is made of monounsaturated fatty acids, which are considered healthier than saturated and transfats. It's also a heck of a lot tastier than some of the other alternatives like canola or corn oil!

See http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/expert-answers/food-and-nutrition/faq-20058439

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/266258.php
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    kami3006 wrote: »

This.

I also find that certain foods have a better texture when cooked with some fats.

HOWEVER, i want to add, that there are many times I cannot possibly afford the calories and have to eat them plain. Make sure that you measure very carefully i see "Just add a tablespoon of olive oil" *free hand pours 3-4 tablespoons* all the time by chefs/youtubers. That s!@t adds up REAL quick! Pick and choose what's worth it or not to you for that recipe on that day. ;)
  • mean_and_lean
    mean_and_lean Posts: 164 Member
    Options

Water saute? That sounds kind of . . . sad and flavorless.
  • kami3006
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »

While water sauté is fine if that's what you want to do, to say is olive oil is empty calories couldn't be more wrong. Fats are a macro that should be eaten and olive oil is full of good fats.

^^ This. I didn't start cooking with oils until I wanted to lose some pounds and get fit.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »

And olive oil has important nutrients, such as omega 3s, which most of us are sorely lacking.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options

Water saute? That sounds kind of . . . sad and flavorless.

Actually, as long as you have a nonstick pan it works pretty well. Roasting however....