60's age group

Options
13»

Replies

• morey235
    morey235 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    ssflbelle2012---Hi, I started this thread so that I can relate to people my age, in the sixties. I am 68. You said you lost "202" lbs ?? WOW, that is great. You go Girl !! keep in touch on here.
  • morey235
    Options
    DebraCox--- It's 7 days early, but Happy 61st birthday. That's ok in 'my eyes' to slip back to old ways, I have done it myself. The important thing is you realize it and starting over again. Good for you. This is my second time starting over, so your not alone.

Does your doctor know about your new weight program. Since you had a heart attack, I would make sure he knows. Don't give up, use the MFP calorie chart to keep track, I think it is the best way to count.

Keep a positive mind and "Never Give Up"… that's my motto.. :) keep in touch on here
  • vansnyder
    vansnyder Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hi Morey, I have been off here fo a couple of weeks, Arthritis in back flared up, everything I did hurt and pain pills make doing anything just to complicated. I am back to my normal, you asked about the elipitical, its the machine most fitness gymns have that you simulate walking, it keeps your feet going in semi circular motion with no strike point as in walking where your knees straighten out and your foot hits the ground. I can not walk far on treadmill or ground due to knee's but the eliptical with the fluid circular motion has no affect whatsoever. In fact a few minutes on the eliptical usually means I can walk further without knee problems. I also have problems with joints when lifting weights but the bowflex machine since it has no sudden weight points, starts smooth and gets harder as you push seems to not affect my elbows and shoulders at all. Those 2 items mean I can normally have a decent workout all winter, with very little side affects. Good luck you guys, I enjoy reading on here how others with similar problems are doing.
  • upr3160
    upr3160 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I will be 62 in 2 weeks and have used MFP in the past. I have recently returned when I decided to participate in a walking challenge @ work. We weigh in each week & track our steps. So I have increased my steps to about 10,000 per day. When I first started I developed plantar faciliitis which complicated the whole process. I have finally been to a doctor and am on the road to recovery but I have not let this interfere with my steps. The weather has been extremely cold the last several days so I have switched to mall walking to get in more steps. So far, I have lost 15 lbs. and want to continue this journey.
  • morey235
    Options
    vansnyder----thanks for letting me know what elliptical was. It is really hard exercising with arthritis, the pain is what bothers you, not the exercise itself. I got shots of what they call, "chicken injections" in my knee, (comes from the red part on a chicken) I got 4 shots, one a week and it helped me so much, it is only suppose to last 6 months, but can last longer. So far I am a 1-1/2 yrs and still doing good. I do still have some pain, but before I couldn't even walk. Keep going, don't give up.
  • morey235
    Options
    upr3160
    glad your back on MFP, I find it to be so helpful for me. Wow, 10,000 steps a day. That is good.
    I walk in malls also in winter. Great for losing 15 lbs. Keep on going and don't give up.
  • scterrell07
    scterrell07 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    62 here....need to lose 20 - 25lbs!!! I know how to do this but staying motivated to actually do it is my problem! I have now reached a new high number so hopefully this will give me that push!!! Yes after reading your posts I think I must stay under 1200 also....LETS DO THIS!!!
  • vansnyder
    vansnyder Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Oh so hard to pass up the temtations, I have such weak willpower at night. I try to not watch tv late evening, I get tired and lose willpower and just set watching dumb shows thinking of all I have to munch on. I am looking forward to spring so I can go walking in the evening with my dog. Best way to avoid food for me is to keep busy and dont think about it.
  • rawfruitvegH20
    rawfruitvegH20 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    blew the cobwebs off my gazelle glider, bungee resistance bands, trek poles, gloved weights...i do a lot of yard work in spring and summer but shift to assembly work in winter at a desk , need to get going again...restarting MFP again...