Reduced calorie lifestyle and longevity

Options
Science News (June 4, 2011) has an interesting article about the connection between a long-term reduced calorie lifestyle and prevention of disorders related to aging. The actual focus of the article was on pharmaceutical companies' attempts to come up with a pill that produces the same benefits as a 25% reduction in calories--without the calorie reduction.

They aren't they're yet, and in the nature of the pharmaceutical industry, when they do get there it will cost a bomb. Just something to keep in mind for the future when everyone around you is paying for healthy aging and you're getting it for free. :-)

Replies

• anna_lisa
    anna_lisa Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    If you want to do more research it is the RCI diet. It is the Reduced caloric intake diet. The diet ask you to eat 30% less than recommended calories.

Study with monkeys - One lab monkey on the RCI diet after the experiemental period Younger healthier and in appearance looked about 15 years older. The monky on the recommended diet. visibly had greay hair and greater muscle to fat ratio. This study suggests that reduced caloric intake or periods of it are good for the body and will contribute to longer and healthier life and less aging.

The diet is about eating reduced calories but the most calorically dense food (the most bang for your buck). You art talking alot of organic and fresh and lean food.

There have been some other studies where heart patients converted to this diet and lifestyle after open heart surgery and on this diet the heart healed itself. In other situations individuals with very arteriosclorsis and anthreosclorsis, healed both these conditions.

This is not an add. You can do the research of the diet online. This approach to food and diet was featured on Oprah and Dr. OZ. there is nothing to buy for it , just a healthy eating lifestyle that in some would think goes against conventional wisdom.
  • anna_lisa
    Options
    Please excuse my spelling and typing this morning, neither are functioning
  • anna_lisa
    Options
    I think a couple of the most important points about the CR diet is that It is restricted calories that many would shy away from. But you are also talking about Restricted calories of the best foods you could eat. The most nutritionally dense and fresh food. Sometimes when your body has less it can heal itself.
  • anna_lisa
    Options
    I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND THE CR DIET TO ANYBODY UNLESS UNDER THE SUPERVISION OF A DR OR A NUTRITIONALIST TO INSURE THAT PROPER AMOUNT OF NUTRITION IS ACHEIVED.
  • debbiequack
    debbiequack Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    "I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND THE CR DIET TO ANYBODY UNLESS UNDER THE SUPERVISION OF A DR OR A NUTRITIONALIST TO INSURE THAT PROPER AMOUNT OF NUTRITION IS ACHEIVED. "

I agree with the above. I was going to ask some eating disorder experts about this kind of a reduction. I worry about people restricting too much.

Anyone else worry about that?

Best,
    Debbie
  • hemlock2010
    hemlock2010 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I get the impression from the website that the ideal candidates for reduced caloric intake are
    a) at a healthy BMI (neither obese nor underweight),
    b) not at risk of an eating disorder
    c) not adolescent, pregnant, or lactating
    d) not serious athletes or body builders

As far as I can tell, RCI takes advantage of the same phenomenon that people actively trying to lose weight have to avoid--that is, reduced basal metabolic rate so that body weight remains stable at a lower calorie intake.

So in other words, this is not something that most of us would find helpful now. :-) But it's still pretty interesting from the perspective of using diet to avoid age-related disorders, and might be something to think about after reaching goal weight. But again, the goal is NOT weight loss. The goal is to maintain a stable weight at a lower calorie consumption--the dreaded starvation mode, which (for people who meet the criteria listed above) apparently has some pretty significant health benefits.
  • debbiequack
    debbiequack Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    "I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND THE CR DIET TO ANYBODY UNLESS UNDER THE SUPERVISION OF A DR OR A NUTRITIONALIST TO INSURE THAT PROPER AMOUNT OF NUTRITION IS ACHEIVED. "

I agree with the above. I was going to ask some eating disorder experts about this kind of a reduction. I worry about people restricting too much.

Anyone else worry about that?

Best,
    Debbie

Do you know some eating disorder experts? If you do ask, post the response! I'd be really interested in what they say :)

I know quite a few, actually.... I'll see if I can ask today.