What's with daily weigh-ins?

Options

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily and take an average if there's any question (I'm in maintenance). When I lost, it was at such a slow rate that I wanted as many data points as possible, and I used the weekly average as my weight each week. Now it's just habit, I think. It doesn't worry me at all or anything.

I have enough high days from fluctuations that I'm sure half of them would fall on weigh-in day if I picked one day of the week. That could get demotivating.

Yep, that's why I weigh daily too. Knowing my luck, the one day a week I chose to weigh would be my fatty mac fat fat, fluid retentive day, and it would look like I gained weight when in fact it was just a normal fluctuation that would be back down the next day.

• Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Here's the kind of thing I mean when I say that daily variations can hide long term loss. This is one of many examples from my own data:
    y8Ld7zQ.png

Let's say I weigh in on April 30 (bold "X"). That weight is higher than the weigh in from both one week (circle) and 2 weeks (square) prior. It's also more than the weight from March 31, one month prior.

So if I'm a weekly or monthly weigher, I'm now freaking out because it looks like I've gained weight over the last 2 weeks or last month.

But because I'm a daily weigher I can generate a long-term average which is plotted in green. According to this data I lost about 4 pounds over that 6-week period.
  • B_TEEN
    B_TEEN Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I use daily weigh-ins for two purposes: (1) an attribute of accountability to my over all health - it's part of my habit/process and (2) provides trending information over time.

I monitor other aspects of my health daily - blood pressure, heart rate, temperature, physical activity and a few other areas. I understand this may be info overload to some but this is what works for me.
  • TheBeachgod
    TheBeachgod Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily for many of the previously posted reasons but Trendweight also has a tab to see Lean Mass (LBM) and I use that to set my Protein macro vs. total bodyweight.

pimv9qdns23b.jpg
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Daily weigh ins just seem like overkill to me and not healthy at all.

I can understand the "overkill" part - but unhealthy?
    That makes no sense at all to me. What detriment to my health is caused by knowing how much I weigh first thing in the morning?

I don't need to know, I just prefer to. The number on my bathroom scales doesn't make or break my day!
  • nesa98
    nesa98 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    wva7bdb97lif.jpg

Very cool. . Thanks
  • clevelandkat40
    clevelandkat40 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I firmly believe that weighing daily vs weekly, or relying on measurements vs the scale, is a personal choice - nothing more, nothing less.

I used to believe that daily weigh-ins were unhealthy, because at that time in my life, the number on the scale meant EVERYTHING to me, and I couldn't handle seeing those daily fluctuations. Now, I prefer daily weigh-ins because I like understanding the trends and the effects different foods have on my body, and though it may seem counterintuitive, my daily scale session helps me obsess LESS about my weight than I would if I popped on once per week and happened to be having some sodium bloat that day.

My concern with the recent popularity of daily weigh-ins is that I don't think it's right for everyone, and because people tend to jump on the latest bandwagon, some folks may be treading in dangerous waters. (Just like I couldn't handle daily weigh-ins when I was at a different place in my life.)
  • Projectjustme
    Projectjustme Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    KateTii wrote: »
    I love daily weigh-ins because you get to learn how your weight changes based off what you've eaten, hormonal changes and toilet habits. If I weigh in once a week and that happens to be two "high" days, it looks like i've made no progress!

^ this for me - I am going through a lot of hormonal changes and I am also very interested to see how the food I've eaten affects me (sodium, hydration etc). I can gain anything up to 8+ in a day, given where I am in the month, but I am well aware that I haven't eaten anywhere near enough to cause this level of gain in a day or even a week
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    It I didn't weigh daily the fact that my weight is currently 3-5lbs over last week (and the last 11 months) would worry me

This.

And also, for me, if I don't weigh myself regularly I start getting more neurotic about getting on the scale and am more apt to be like "oh, went out to dinner last night, I'll wait until tomorrow" and next thing is I've missed a week. Weighing daily is the best way to make it just part of my day, like brushing my teeth, and not fraught.

I don't log my weight daily, however. When losing I logged on my official (set by me) weigh-in day and when maintaining I'm not really logging until there is a significant lasting change.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Also I like to weigh daily just because I do better with daily habits than with weekly, if it's a 5-second thing.

This is a good way of putting it, and I'm the same way.
  • WishfulThinking0
    WishfulThinking0 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I used to weigh daily but I don't anymore. Daily weigh ins do provide the motivation for the day but also can have the complete reverse effect but not all the time. For me weighing once a week gives me enough motivation to eat as clean as possible so that one exiting weigh in shows a pleasing number. But everyone to their own you should just do what suits you! No fuss
  • neohdiver
    neohdiver Posts: 738 Member
    Options

Nonsense - which I hope you appreciate from the responses you've received.

One additional reason that was hinted at - but I don't think was stated explicitly - is that it takes away the power of the scale. When you weigh once a week or once a month, that day becomes important and people often start gearing their food consumption as the weigh-in nears toward making sure they show a loss/gain/maintenance on that all-important day. The farther between weigh-ins, the more significance an individual weigh in has. That is not a healthy relationship with either food or the scale. Someone I know ran into health insurance problems because they insisted on having their doctor's visit before the Christmas holidays in order to have an A1c that wasn't tainted by Christmas excess, but unfortunately it was too soon for insurance purposes. Even though I do weigh daily, I experience some of this effect because I had set a goal of losing 20 lbs by my 2 month follow-up following diabetes diagnosis. As the appointment approached, I started to think more about the weigh in & wonder if I was going to make it. I don't think I changed any eating habits - and my weight trend line didn't take a nose-dive. But I was much more aware of that 2-month weigh in than I am of stepping on the scales every day. I have deliberately not set a goal for my next visit (in a couple of weeks). Both are the same principle - take away the power of special days by making every day special (or routine).

When it is just something you do every day, you either freak out every day about what will show up on the scale the next day (in which case you need professional help) or it becomes a routine, healthy part of your life habits - like brushing your teeth. No pressure - since you will be weighing in again tomorrow, the next day, the next day, etc.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    ^^^ Nice explanation ^^^
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Panda_Poptarts Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    I like knowing how different foods, environmental factors (stress, etc) and times in my cycle affect my weight fluctuation. I weigh daily as a habit first thing in the morning. It helps me be accountable.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    I honestly feel that NOT weighing myself very regularly contributed greatly to my gaining so much weight to start (over many, many years). I would freak out about the scale for a few hours, then ignore it until my next unfortunate encounter with a scale months, or years later.

Now I weigh myself daily. I intend to continue this habit, along with honest logging of food, because I never want to go back to where I was again.
  • ladyv_39
    ladyv_39 Posts: 13 Member
    Options

I agree. I'd get frustrated if I weighed myself every day and saw all the fluctuations. Once a week should be enough.
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options

Meh. I do lots of things daily that many may consider unhealthy. I look in the mirror, put on makeup, dress nicely (maybe change if I don't like it)... These could be symptoms of narcissism, but in my case they aren't as there are no other symptoms and I don't obsess over my looks the majority of the day.

Same with daily weighing. Could be symptom of an unhealthy relationship with my weight, but due to how I use the knowledge, how much it affects my daily life and how little time it actually takes...I am leaning towards "not an unhealthy interest."
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    I'm going to add that for the first several months I found regular weigh-ins very traumatic emotionally. It honestly is only as I've gotten more successful at managing my weight and eating habits that I've been able to become a lot more calm about them.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    tomteboda wrote: »
    I honestly feel that NOT weighing myself very regularly contributed greatly to my gaining so much weight to start (over many, many years). I would freak out about the scale for a few hours, then ignore it until my next unfortunate encounter with a scale months, or years later.

Now I weigh myself daily. I intend to continue this habit, along with honest logging of food, because I never want to go back to where I was again.

Same with me. I lost 24 pounds (not even close to my goal) on here in 2013, got complacent, didn't get on the scale much and now here I am again trying to lose some of those pounds I gained back. Daily weighing is part of my ritual as is measuring and weighing food and exercising. No falling off the wagon this time.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    What's with people who are scared to get on the scale every day?

There is nothing wrong with a daily reality check.