Dieters Edema

Options

Replies

• ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    organ-repositioning.jpg

I'm just going to leave this here as an illustration of what permanent waist training can do (Granted, I realize this is an extreme). If you call this kind of alteration "healthy and acceptable", then we probably have different definitions of those terms.

(And yes, even gradual "training" still has to move and alter the insides. You can't force yourself to have a waist without your body needing to move some internal items around to accommodate the unnatural adaptation.)
  • Q_Is_Poison
    Q_Is_Poison Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Drink a whole bottle of diet cranberry juice. It has 50 calories. So work it into your daily quota. Weigh tomorrow morning and update us. Good luck!
  • Q_Is_Poison
    Q_Is_Poison Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I am talking about the 1/2 gallon ocean spray diet cranberry juice. If it has over 5 calories a cup, you have the wrong brand.
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    Don't wear a waist trainer while working out. It'll be uncomfortable, it'll keep you from breathing deeply, mess with your form, interfere with actually strengthening your core, it can give you acid reflux and increase your risk of blood clots, and despite all that, it won't actually *do* anything helpful. You can't spot reduce. It'll just squish everything together during the time you MOST need to be able to breath deeply and have good blood flow. When you take it off, everything plops back out to where it goes naturally. You can't "train" your waist externally except through years of very extreme tightlacing corsetry that leaves you dependent on the corset to function afterward, and that carries all the same risks of wearing a waist trainer while working out, but all the time.

Actually just don't wear a waist trainer ever. It's just a corset. We realized those were a terrible idea over a century ago, that's why the scammers who sell them had to rebrand as "waist trainers" for the Kardashians to market them.

THIS. SO MUCH THIS.

I love wearing a corset for costuming, but yeah - they can end up weakening your core and cause you all sorts of problems. Not only, that but their slimming effects are very temporary (you'll bounce back to your original size within a day of taking it off). Anyone who has actually achieved a permanent smaller size has done so because they've successfully moved their bones and organs - which is not good for you.

The only time I've worn a corset for non-costuming purposes was for temporary back support after having muscle spasms. Otherwise, they should be limited to costumed events.

I agree it shouldn't be worn during a workout, but a proper corset and waist training will not harm you at all. It's when you tightlace and go overboard and don't understand how waist training works that there can be problems. Women who waist train do it very very gradually and ease into it, rather than wear a corset over a 24/7 hour period to begin with.

There really isn't such a thing as "gradual waist training". You can train your body to gradually tolerate wearing a corset for longer periods (but your waist will still go back to what it naturally would be within a day or two of corsetlessness). You can wear a corset for short periods (but it will have no effect on your shape when you take the corset off). You can actually distort your skeleton and internal organs and cause wasting of your abdominal and back muscles to reshape your waist more permanently, but this requires extensive tightlacing for a long period that also requires the wearing of the corset for support after the "goal" is achieved, and has been understood to be damaging since, oh, the Victorian era. Squeezing your torso mass inward to achieve a smaller shape is, perhaps, not damaging in a small amount, but it's not permanent for most people, and it's DEFINITELY not a good idea while you're working out. And the whole language of "training" around it, like it's something you can do to productively change your body as opposed to a brace that reshapes by force only while you're wearing it, and that can have negative side effects, is really misleading.

Thinking you can "train" your waist to be smaller by wearing a corset is like thinking you can train yourself to be taller and leggier by wearing high heels. It works- while you're wearing the device. It stops when you take it off. Unless you wear it so long you cause permanent deformation of the body (which can happen with both corsets and high heels), but that's not exactly a great goal.

By gradual training, I meant getting corsets in slightly smaller sizes over a long period of time until you have the corseted waist size you want.
  • Colorscheme
    edited February 2016
    Options
    organ-repositioning.jpg

I'm just going to leave this here as an illustration of what permanent waist training can do (Granted, I realize this is an extreme). If you call this kind of alteration "healthy and acceptable", then we probably have different definitions of those terms.

(And yes, even gradual "training" still has to move and alter the insides. You can't force yourself to have a waist without your body needing to move some internal items around to accommodate the unnatural adaptation.)

I never said it was healthy and acceptable. If people want to do it, whatever. But there is a right and wrong ways and a LOT of misconceptions about waist training and corsets.

I'm into historical costuming and things like corsets/stays/pairs of bodies and foundation garments are necessary to get the correct period shape, but I would not waist train because there's no purpose. Extremists are far and few in between.
  • emmycantbemeeko
    emmycantbemeeko Posts: 303 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Don't wear a waist trainer while working out. It'll be uncomfortable, it'll keep you from breathing deeply, mess with your form, interfere with actually strengthening your core, it can give you acid reflux and increase your risk of blood clots, and despite all that, it won't actually *do* anything helpful. You can't spot reduce. It'll just squish everything together during the time you MOST need to be able to breath deeply and have good blood flow. When you take it off, everything plops back out to where it goes naturally. You can't "train" your waist externally except through years of very extreme tightlacing corsetry that leaves you dependent on the corset to function afterward, and that carries all the same risks of wearing a waist trainer while working out, but all the time.

Actually just don't wear a waist trainer ever. It's just a corset. We realized those were a terrible idea over a century ago, that's why the scammers who sell them had to rebrand as "waist trainers" for the Kardashians to market them.

THIS. SO MUCH THIS.

I love wearing a corset for costuming, but yeah - they can end up weakening your core and cause you all sorts of problems. Not only, that but their slimming effects are very temporary (you'll bounce back to your original size within a day of taking it off). Anyone who has actually achieved a permanent smaller size has done so because they've successfully moved their bones and organs - which is not good for you.

The only time I've worn a corset for non-costuming purposes was for temporary back support after having muscle spasms. Otherwise, they should be limited to costumed events.

I agree it shouldn't be worn during a workout, but a proper corset and waist training will not harm you at all. It's when you tightlace and go overboard and don't understand how waist training works that there can be problems. Women who waist train do it very very gradually and ease into it, rather than wear a corset over a 24/7 hour period to begin with.

There really isn't such a thing as "gradual waist training". You can train your body to gradually tolerate wearing a corset for longer periods (but your waist will still go back to what it naturally would be within a day or two of corsetlessness). You can wear a corset for short periods (but it will have no effect on your shape when you take the corset off). You can actually distort your skeleton and internal organs and cause wasting of your abdominal and back muscles to reshape your waist more permanently, but this requires extensive tightlacing for a long period that also requires the wearing of the corset for support after the "goal" is achieved, and has been understood to be damaging since, oh, the Victorian era. Squeezing your torso mass inward to achieve a smaller shape is, perhaps, not damaging in a small amount, but it's not permanent for most people, and it's DEFINITELY not a good idea while you're working out. And the whole language of "training" around it, like it's something you can do to productively change your body as opposed to a brace that reshapes by force only while you're wearing it, and that can have negative side effects, is really misleading.

Thinking you can "train" your waist to be smaller by wearing a corset is like thinking you can train yourself to be taller and leggier by wearing high heels. It works- while you're wearing the device. It stops when you take it off. Unless you wear it so long you cause permanent deformation of the body (which can happen with both corsets and high heels), but that's not exactly a great goal.

By gradual training, I meant getting corsets in slightly smaller sizes over a long period of time until you have the corseted waist size you want.

Right- that's what I'm saying.

No matter how "gradually" you go, either a. you're not making actual physical changes with that gradual transition, you're just training yourself to tolerate wearing tighter corsets (and it has no effect outside the period when the corset is actually in place, you're just becoming more tolerant of the discomfort) or b. you *are* making physical changes (muscle wasting, bone and organ displacement) that shrink the waist but are damaging and tend to necessitate the wearing of the corset both to maintain the changes and to support the now diminished musculature.

Sure, you're probably causing *more* damage if you try to tightlace in to a tiny corset quickly than working your way up to it, but going gradually is just as either ineffectual as "waist training" (if you don't achieve physical reshaping- you're just teaching yourself to wear more dramatic shapewear for short periods) or effective but physically damaging (if you do achieve physical reshaping). It's just slower damage to which you become accustomed.

You can't reposition your bones and organs and waste your muscles in a *healthy* way no matter what pace you do it at. You can do it in a way where the process is less painful and the inherent side effects start to seem normal to you, but it's still a physically damaging and destructive process.

And if it's *not* physically damaging and destructive, the only "training" that's happening is teaching yourself to stand wearing a tight garment that makes your waist look smaller while you're wearing it, and go back to its natural size when you take it off. Which is fine- I enjoy costuming and have worn corsets for particular outfits and occasions- I just can't stand that this snake oil industry has sprung up trying to convince women that this very old garment is some kind of health tool that will reshape their waist permanently instead of exactly what it is- a corset that for 99% of wearers is just going to make their waist appear smaller while they wear it, and stop having an effect as soon as they take it off. And the idea of wearing one while working out in the manner of instagram celebrities is even worse.
  • Colorscheme
    Options

THIS. SO MUCH THIS.

Right- that's what I'm saying.

No matter how "gradually" you go, either a. you're not making actual physical changes with that gradual transition, you're just training yourself to tolerate wearing tighter corsets (and it has no effect outside the period when the corset is actually in place, you're just becoming more tolerant of the discomfort) or b. you *are* making physical changes (muscle wasting, bone and organ displacement) that shrink the waist but are damaging and tend to necessitate the wearing of the corset both to maintain the changes and to support the now diminished musculature.

Sure, you're probably causing *more* damage if you try to tightlace in to a tiny corset quickly than working your way up to it, but going gradually is just as either ineffectual as "waist training" (if you don't achieve physical reshaping- you're just teaching yourself to wear more dramatic shapewear for short periods) or effective but physically damaging (if you do achieve physical reshaping). It's just slower damage to which you become accustomed.

You can't reposition your bones and organs and waste your muscles in a *healthy* way no matter what pace you do it at. You can do it in a way where the process is less painful and the inherent side effects start to seem normal to you, but it's still a physically damaging and destructive process.

And if it's *not* physically damaging and destructive, the only "training" that's happening is teaching yourself to stand wearing a tight garment that makes your waist look smaller while you're wearing it, and go back to its natural size when you take it off. Which is fine- I enjoy costuming and have worn corsets for particular outfits and occasions- I just can't stand that this snake oil industry has sprung up trying to convince women that this very old garment is some kind of health tool that will reshape their waist permanently instead of exactly what it is- a corset that for 99% of wearers is just going to make their waist appear smaller while they wear it, and stop having an effect as soon as they take it off. And the idea of wearing one while working out in the manner of instagram celebrities is even worse.

To be fair, tightlacing was not normal even in Victorian times. Also 19th century pictures of women wearing corsets were often retouched. And girls were wearing corsets from young ages, so they eased into it.

I never said it was normal or healthy. I even said in my last post I would never do it. I am all for wearing them for historical purposes ike re-enactments, costuming and such but those events are only for a few hours. When I am home, I don't even wear a bra, lol.
  • ashayoc
    ashayoc Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Ok wow I read all the comments I missed just to clarify something it's not a corset I wear although I have one it's a go fit brand waist trimmer for exercising its actually comfortable it's not tight at ALL it only increases the heat around my middle causing more water loss it isn't for trying to loose fat just water weight in that area as I tend to bloat a lot. I'm not spot reducing as I know that's impossible I'm only doing this for the water retention concerns I had and I'm very happy with the results! No more bloat and u drink the recommended 64oz a day or more now without the bloat I reduce my sodium intake also and I rested and I feel a lot better! I appreciate everyone's comments I will weigh only when needed and make sure to rest other than that I'm doing a great job and I'll continue to keep everyone informed as you guys have given me such great advice!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    ashayoc wrote: »
    Ok wow I read all the comments I missed just to clarify something it's not a corset I wear although I have one it's a go fit brand waist trimmer for exercising its actually comfortable it's not tight at ALL it only increases the heat around my middle causing more water loss it isn't for trying to loose fat just water weight in that area as I tend to bloat a lot. I'm not spot reducing as I know that's impossible I'm only doing this for the water retention concerns I had and I'm very happy with the results! No more bloat and u drink the recommended 64oz a day or more now without the bloat I reduce my sodium intake also and I rested and I feel a lot better! I appreciate everyone's comments I will weigh only when needed and make sure to rest other than that I'm doing a great job and I'll continue to keep everyone informed as you guys have given me such great advice!

No it doesn't work ...in fact by supporting your core you engage those muscles less and make your workouts less effective ...

For water retention drink more
  • ashayoc
    Options
    Ok then thanks I'll take it off for a week and see
  • ashayoc
    Options
    So how can I tighten my core I've had a big belly before my kids after them it's now 38inches!!!!!!!!!! The rest of my body is proportioned I've been told by everyone if I didn't have my belly I'd look fine. Thus me upping my cardio to drop the weight since I can't spot reduce
  • Losingthedamnweight
    Options
    Never weigh everyday , once a week the same time eg every monday morning , before eating anything and naked is best .

Why? Weigh as often as you want as long as you understand fluctuations and don't let it emotionally drive you.

Why? Because after years and me knowing the weight i see isn't my real weight, I still sometimes can't rationalize what I'm looking at. It's hard not to see the number on the scale and become discouraged. For some people it's like whatever. Others? That number, despite not being accurate, is everything. And one more reason to worry. And worrying can lead to falling off the wagon.

So yeah. I don't think everybody should weigh everyday. And what's the point in doing it anyway? You're probably never gonna see the same weight. It'll go up and down day by day before settling at some point later on. What progress could you make in a day anyway? What's the point in weighing when you probably only lost a 4th of a pound? Weigh yourself when you think you've made some real progress.
  • upoffthemat
    upoffthemat Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I have weighed 10 pounds more in the evening than I do in the morning, but I drink at least a gallon of water a day and I am losing weight over time.
  • emmycantbemeeko
    Options
    So how can I tighten my core I've had a big belly before my kids after them it's now 38inches!!!!!!!!!! The rest of my body is proportioned I've been told by everyone if I didn't have my belly I'd look fine. Thus me upping my cardio to drop the weight since I can't spot reduce

You can lose more weight. You can build muscle in your core that changes the composition of your body and can, in some people to some degree, create a slimmer profile (in others it can create a wider profile, it depends on your anatomy). You can have surgery that spot reduces fat and skin in that area. That's about it, really. You can't safely reshape your body externally, and "spot fluid loss" is an equally nonsense concept- your body is a comprehensive unit, where you sweat from isn't going to have more than a brief effect on where you retain fluid, as our bodies are constantly circulating blood and fluid balance is maintained across the entire system, not just under the spot where you make yourself sweat.

If this is a dramatic change in your shape since pregnancy and it doesn't seem to have resolved despite significant weight loss, it may not be excess fat but diastasis recti, a separation of the muscles in your abdomen during pregnancy that can cause a "pooch" afterwards. Wearing a binder often or during general exercise may actually make this worse as it weakens those muscles further and encourages you to attempt movement that might not be good for those damaged muscles, although a binder may be used by a therapist as part of targeted therapy (to support the muscles during specific exercises to promote healing).

If it is diastasis recti, your doctor may refer you to physical therapy. Katy Bowman, a biomechanics specialist, also has some writing about approaches to DR. Especially if you intend to be pregnant ever again, addressing it is important, as subsequent pregnancies can worsen it.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    I dont have diastasis recti but I do have a little bit of a pooch and slowly but surely its getting smaller. been working out for almost 4 years.for some it just takes time.op I went from a size 27 waist to a 39.5 inch waist after my kids. I am now just getting the flat belly.as for how you look why does what others think matter to you? who cares what other people think. I weight lift more than I do cardio and I have had better results since I started the switch and weight lifting can change how your body looks,but that too takes time.just be patient, it will come off eventually. you tighten the core with exercise but you cant spot reduce and the fat will come off when and where it wants,I looked like I was 6 months pregnant when I first started.it can be done. anything worthwhile takes time and hard work. dont give up.
  • ashayoc
    Options
    I'll look this up sigh it's so discouraging I've even been to a tummy tuck consultation where the dr made me feel so bad for not doing sit ups after my kids I cried when I left and vowed never to return. At that time I was instructed to loose 30 pounds which I have shed but I'm looking for non surgical ways to reduce the "pooch" I'll look up weight lifting I'm suppose to get a personal trainer soon to help shed my last 20 pounds and help tighten core maybe he can properly diagnose me. Thanks
  • emmycantbemeeko
    Options
    Personal trainers can't diagnose things and shouldn't try, not that that stops some of them. Talk to your doctor about possible muscle damage, not a personal trainer.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Personal trainers can't diagnose things and shouldn't try, not that that stops some of them. Talk to your doctor about possible muscle damage, not a personal trainer.

I agree, a personal trainer cant diagnose an issue. you can check if you have diastasis recti yourself, look up videos on how to check, then if not sure ask your dr.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

Strength training ...progressive resistance ...squats, deadlifts, bench press etc and eat at a defecit

Ditch your "waist trainer" it's doing the opposite and making your core weaker and could lead to injury

Structured online programmes
    http://stronglifts.com/5x5/
    https://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/jason-blaha-ice-cream-fitness-5x5-novice-workout
    http://www.muscleandfitness.com/workouts/workout-routines/4-week-guide-starting-strength

Pilates / yoga also good

Anything that is progressive and engages the core

I've had kids too ...you need low body fat and decent musculature

Eventually you can build in isolation exercises but seriously cardio alone will only help increase your TDEE
  • ashayoc
    Options
    Wats TDEE? I'm buying some more weights this week I did research on the distasis recti on Pinterest for exercises in going to get a ball for core strengthing I've dropped another inch off my belly 7 more to go but it's progress