Inches before pounds...?

Options
So a few of my friends had told me that you lose inches before you lose pounds?
I kind of find this true cause I lost a few inches in my waist, thighs & back but not any weight. I'm not complaining either way cause I love the way I've been feeling/looking but I was just curious if anyone had this happen to them lol.

Replies

• Karihappy
    Karihappy Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Lord, I hope so, cuz I am really struggling to not get depressed over what the scale shows as my weight. It hasn't moved in weeks, it seems, even going up a pound for no reason, but then all my old smaller pants are fitting again. I weigh a good five pounds more than when I used to wear them, so I know I'm losing inches, but sure would like to see re-enforcement on the scale! Then again, I guess it's healthier to realize the scale is not the be all and end all. This is the stage I used to just say screw it and eat what I want again, but this time I realize this is the healthier way to eat and the way I will be eating for the rest of my life, and so the weight will come off when it comes off. As long as I see positive things like looser clothes, all is good. :)5229779.png
  • Fursian
    Fursian Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    This may only apply if doing resistance/strength training, but unsure. Each time I've seen threads with people experiencing this (which has been a few), they've also been doing some sort of strength training. I'd be more surprised to read of this happening the other way round...losing pounds before inches.
  • TashaaaKayeee
    TashaaaKayeee Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Karihappy wrote: »
    Lord, I hope so, cuz I am really struggling to not get depressed over what the scale shows as my weight. It hasn't moved in weeks, it seems, even going up a pound for no reason, but then all my old smaller pants are fitting again. I weigh a good five pounds more than when I used to wear them, so I know I'm losing inches, but sure would like to see re-enforcement on the scale! Then again, I guess it's healthier to realize the scale is not the be all and end all. This is the stage I used to just say screw it and eat what I want again, but this time I realize this is the healthier way to eat and the way I will be eating for the rest of my life, and so the weight will come off when it comes off. As long as I see positive things like looser clothes, all is good. :)5229779.png

Just stay positive :) I'm not going to let the scale dictate all my hard work. I see the difference in my clothes & that's good enough for me! Keep up the great work!
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    I started strength training exactly one month ago today (in addition to cardio and calorie counting). I've lost a respectable four pounds in that time. But even better, I've gone down an entire pants size! I'm learning to rely less on the scale and more on my clothes and the tape measure.
  • TashaaaKayeee
    Options
    Fursian wrote: »
    This may only apply if doing resistance/strength training, but unsure. Each time I've seen threads with people experiencing this (which has been a few), they've also been doing some sort of strength training. I'd be more surprised to read of this happening the other way round...losing pounds before inches.

I do a lot of cardio. I played soccer from 1st-my senior year in high school & I was in the best of shape. So now, 4 years after graduation, I've stuck to cardio once again lol.
  • arj5150
    arj5150 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I definitely feel smaller, but the scale hasn't budged anything noticeable, even though I'm not doing any hard workouts or anything. Soo frustrating to be eating at a deficit and not see the #'s...
  • TashaaaKayeee
    Options
    arj5150 wrote: »
    I definitely feel smaller, but the scale hasn't budged anything noticeable, even though I'm not doing any hard workouts or anything. Soo frustrating to be eating at a deficit and not see the #'s...

Don't go off the scale! If you feel better, then that's great!
  • TashaaaKayeee
    Options
    yayamom3 wrote: »
    I started strength training exactly one month ago today (in addition to cardio and calorie counting). I've lost a respectable four pounds in that time. But even better, I've gone down an entire pants size! I'm learning to rely less on the scale and more on my clothes and the tape measure.

I should probably get measuring tape lol.
  • kristysaurus
    kristysaurus Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I found this to be true for myself. My first 6 weeks I lost 5.5 inches from my waist, hips and chest but only lost about 4lbs. At The weight loss was still good but I found I lost a lot more inches then my weight started slowly going down. That was with lots of high-intensity workouts and strength training/lifting so I don't know if that had any impact on weight loss vs. inches lost
  • Amandalynn380
    Amandalynn380 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Maybe the amount of muscle you gained was equal to the weight you lost, so it evened out? Anywho, congrats!
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Maybe the amount of muscle you gained was equal to the weight you lost, so it evened out? Anywho, congrats!

nope, thats not going to happen in a deficit
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options

Nope. Muscle requires a calorie surplus to grow in size/weight.

However, I am experiencing the same thing. I have been the same weight since November/December, but have lost inches due to weightlifting, which I started in the middle of November.