Early morning workouts

Options
I want to begin working out before work, cardio and weight lifting. What is something small but helpful to eat before workout?

Replies

• socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Many people exercise fasting early in the morning.
    I personally prefer to prepare my own protein shake 45 minutes before workout (whey protein isolate, one banana and almond milk).
    It is a personal preference.
    Try it both ways and choose the one you like better
    Good luck in your healthy journey
  • UG77
    UG77 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I'll usually eat some fruit when I wake up before I head to the gym. I'm going to have to experiment with it a bit because that's not getting it done on the mornings I swim laps for an hour.

Next swim day I'm going to try adding in a couple of hard boiled eggs about 40-50 mins before I get to the gym.

• faramelee
    faramelee Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    It suits me to just get up and go so I do fasting HIIT circuits, but as @socioseguro suggested, try it both ways to see what works for you. A protein shake is a popular route as it's quick and easy but there are many other foodstuffs to try, no doubt you'll get loads of suggestions here! Banana and peanut butter keeps coming to mind :)
  • bunkster83
    bunkster83 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing that @socioseguro suggested, but add a tbsp of peanut butter to the shake. It keeps me going- some mornings I'll drink the whole thing and then others I will only have half and finish it after my workout. Like others have suggested, try both ways and see what works best for you!
  • ramskermfc
    ramskermfc Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I'm at the gym by 5am during the week. Have never been able to eat real food beforehand . . . makes me want to hurl. I have trained fasted (lifting too) with good results and also with just a pre-workout shake. For the last few years, I've done the shake--about 30g protein and 15-30g carbs and that has also worked well.

If you do well with food, you could do a banana, some oats, a little cereal, spoonful of pb, etc to get something in your stomach. You'll just have to see what you prefer/tolerate better.
  • llillio
    llillio Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Consensus is there is no answer. Try and see what works for you.
    For me - coffee and a banana. Depending on how I feel, I may break into my ration of hard boiled eggs...
  • ntnunk
    ntnunk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Like others, I don't eat beforehand. I'm usually fine with that if doing short cardio sessions or weight training. I sometimes have longer (>30 minutes) or harder efforts on my bike (training for bicycle races) that require some mid-workout refueling. On those days I generally just have an energy gel every 30 minutes or so.
  • worstcaster
    worstcaster Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    It might help to eat before you exercise. You will have increased blood flow to your muscles and the nutrients will help their post exercise recovery.
  • 1chuy
    1chuy Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Check if you can take some aminos it gives you energy and kinda gets you full and it's good for you I go at 4am morning everyday
  • holly_roman
    holly_roman Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    yeah nothing..nada. I don't eat breakfast after either. I don't eat before 11 in the morning even though I am up at 6am. My body doesn't take food too well. I also can't even drink before or during exercise. I get terrible cramps if I do. So I wait until after.
  • matty86suk
    matty86suk Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Coffee, Apple or banana, some water. After i drink a protein shake with some milk/banana.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    I drink some coffee. I don't like running with food in my stomach.

I run either at 5:30am or 8am.