Early AM workouts - what gets you out of bed?

Options
I'm starting a new job soon and I've worked out if I want to get in an AM workout I'll have to get up at 5AM!!! :sad:

So... what are your best tricks for getting yourself out of bed in the morning to workout early? Other than coffee... because I don't like coffee...

How do you stay awake during work?

Do you cardio or strength in the morning? Or whatever you feel like?

Replies

• ahappyapple
    ahappyapple Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    BUMP!!
  • olag00
    olag00 Posts: 222
    Options
    I get up at 4:15am to do all my workouts and all I take is protein powder and my multivitamin about 20-30 mins before the workout. Once you start the workout, you dont have to worry about falling asleep. When the blood gets pumping you will push through the workout and have more energy throughout the day.

The thing that gets me out of bed are results. I know if I get up today at 4:15, tomorrow will be that much better me.
  • jaelwoman
    jaelwoman Posts: 81
    Options
    I agree - I get up at 4am to swim. I have my protein shake with oats at about 4:15 and get to the pool at 5:00. I swim for about an hour and get ready for work. Shedding the weight and seeing those results make that early morning rise all the better. It helps when you like the workout you do. I couldn't do it if I had to run or something equally as hated! haha!!

It was hard in the beginning but I'm used to it now!
  • BeccyBerry
    BeccyBerry Posts: 312
    Options
    Before I go to bed i put my dvd in the ps3 get my weights out and put my workout gear next to my bed so the second I wake up I can throw it straight on and get stuck in straight away. I hate coffee too so no caffiene for me to help sadly but I do actually feel alot more energetic once I've done it.

I think it also helps my hubby gets up at that time to go to work. I think it would be alot harder for me to get out of bed if I had to leave him in bed purely because i hate to be the first one out :laugh:

Theres also the underlying motivation that if I dont get up and do it chances are I wont get time. So that kind of urges me on!!
  • dcmat
    dcmat Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    I get up at 5.00 so I can breakfast and sort the animals out before setting off to work on my 21 mile commute to work - that wakes me up! The ride home helps me wind down.
  • Mystic_Potato
    Mystic_Potato Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I have a very easy 10 minute AM yoga I do. It really gets me going, is quick, easy and I still get a decent little work out.
    If you want to check it out and watch it here is a link:

http://www.bing.com/videos/watch/video/am-yoga/17wckq0ka?q=am+yoga+video&FORM=VIRE1

Good luck. Early mornings can be brutal.
  • epj78
    epj78 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I don't give myself a choice. I just get up and go --- I don't think about getting up when the alarm goes off to go to work, so I don't think about it to go workout.

I don't eat a thing before I workout. I do both strength and cardio. After I work out, I eat something within 20 minutes that has a relatively high protein content.

I find working out in the morning tends to keep me awake better during the day - gets the blood flowing. Of course, I also go to bed early. It'll take some time for your body to adjust to a new schedule, but once it does, it just becomes your schedule.
  • sufikitkat
    sufikitkat Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    i am the worst morning person you can imagine but i work out at 5:45 AM everyday because I work three jobs so if I don't...the workout will NEVER happen. It is very hard at first but what works for me is this: 1) Find a workout that you LOVE. I am training for a half marathon and love love LOVE running so its easy for me to get up. I also do Insanity and strength train on my run on park benches to help. 2) I am not a caffeine person period and I have thyroid medicine so I can't eat until after I workout, which actually really helps me feel awake still. 3) Don't worry about feeling tired. it actually energizes me throughout my long 12 hour work days and when I don't workout in the AM (sometimes I have meetings that are earlier than my usual work time) Ifind it tough to get through the day. Hope this helps...good luck!
  • EMc4452
    EMc4452 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I make sure my workout clothes and everything I need for the gym is in a clean stack and or/packed the night before. When my alarm goes off its easier to get up knowing I dont have a lot of prep I need to do and the clothes are waiting for me. Its also important to get enough sleep. If you havent gotten your normal number of hours in, it will be really tough to wake up...so try to get to bed earlier now that you have to wake up early! Good luck!
  • cynthials
    cynthials Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I don't give myself a choice. I just get up and go --- I don't think about getting up when the alarm goes off to go to work, so I don't think about it to go workout.
    +1

I also have a workout buddy, we meet at the gym around 5:15, this has made a big difference for me on the days when I really DON'T feel like going. I don't want to let her down. I've also found that once I get into the early morning groove my body gets used to it. Even on my "days off" I still wake up at 4:45. :indifferent:
  • Tankplanker
    Tankplanker Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    My dog usually wakes me up at 5am ish for a walk, a quick 30 minute walk with the dog usually gets me ready to workout. The dog is too instant to let me lie in unless I'm very tired.

Days I go into the office I have to leave at 6am, so I workout only in the evening when I'm in the office, no way I'm getting up at 4am to workout!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I make sure my workout clothes and everything I need for the gym is in a clean stack and or/packed the night before. When my alarm goes off its easier to get up knowing I dont have a lot of prep I need to do and the clothes are waiting for me. Its also important to get enough sleep. If you havent gotten your normal number of hours in, it will be really tough to wake up...so try to get to bed earlier now that you have to wake up early! Good luck!

Just like Emily, I get my clothes ready and get dressed as soon as I get out of bed, before I go the bathroom or anything else. This way I"m ready to go before I've had time to talk myself out of it. Of course it was much easier to do in summer, it's hard now it doesn't get light until nearly 7am!
    I don't eat anything until after my run, I just have a glass of water before I go.
    The great thing about exercising in the morning is that it gives me lots of energy for the day.
  • elarge
    elarge Posts: 5
    Options
    CLEANING!!!
  • funfitfoodie
    funfitfoodie Posts: 630 Member
    Options

Just like Emily, I get my clothes ready and get dressed as soon as I get out of bed, before I go the bathroom or anything else. This way I"m ready to go before I've had time to talk myself out of it. Of course it was much easier to do in summer, it's hard now it doesn't get light until nearly 7am!
    I don't eat anything until after my run, I just have a glass of water before I go.
    The great thing about exercising in the morning is that it gives me lots of energy for the day.

I didn't even think of that... winter mornings ewwww.... they're hard enough at 8am let alone 5am!!!
  • sandrinamsilva
    sandrinamsilva Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Every now and then I do morning workouts. I Love It because it's done and over with early. I tend to get lazier later in the day. I just make sure to pack my bag before bed and make sure I get to sleep early enough to wake and want to get out of bed. Good Luck!
  • shannonpatton
    shannonpatton Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I have to workout as soon as I wake up which is around 10am. What makes me get out of bed, is knowing I have to get my workout in before my son wakes up! There's no way I can workout when he's awake. It pushes me even more to get it done :) I make myself have energy. Plus, I feel AWESOME the rest of the day!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I have a small but powerful cat who likes to dance on my bladder in the morning. That gets me up!
  • arielian
    arielian Posts: 200
    Options
    I actually drink a HUGE glass of water so I'm forced to get up! I sleep early and fold my clothes up!
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I like to work out before everyone else is up and recently I haven't been able to rely on my daughters nap times so if I want to guarantee a work out I need to get up early. I wake up at 4:45a, have a shake while waking up and by 5:15a I'm ready to go.
  • lindsayfranke
    lindsayfranke Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Believe it or not I work out in my pajamas. I get up at 5:40 and do about an hour of either cardio or strength training a day. The winter is very hard to get up but once you are moving you start feeling great!

You also have the entire night after work/school free to do as you please without a workout looming over you.

I don't eat or drink anything before I work out, just make sure to get my protein drink ready and drink half before my shower and half after. It's important to get your recovery drink within 45 minutes of working out :)

Hope this helps! Good luck!