Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Clean/Healthy Eating

Looking for some meal plans and other resources to kick start healthier eating.

I don't eat bad at the moment, just need some structure to stop myself from snacking throughout the day etc.

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member

What kinds of things do you like to prepare? :) That would give us a direction for suggestions.
    Regarding the snacking: what do you have for breakfast?
  • mollybethtaylor
    mollybethtaylor Posts: 39 Member
    @RodaRose

I love cooking but sometimes struggle to find the time. I prefer cooking with chicken or beef; just a personal preference.

I normally either have a smoothie if i don't have much time. Otherwise I tend to have cereal or poached eggs on toast.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    And what do you define clean eating as?
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    And what do you define clean eating as?

When I drop it on the floor, there's the 5 second rule... ;)
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Although one of the dogs usually gets there first... :/
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    In the morning, sometimes it helps to have less sugar and more protein: for example eggs and bacon (no cereal or toast). Some people find that the snack monster stays away until lunch time. But you have to experiment of course.
    Foods you can make at home and that have the calories listed are featured in the MFP recipe blog:
    https://blog.myfitnesspal.com/tag/chicken/
    Also try googling "four ingredient chicken."
  • drocksi317
    drocksi317 Posts: 39 Member
    Aright well have you tryed intermittent fasting?,and I'll explain further y I ask
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    edited February 2016

I don't eat bad at the moment, just need some structure to stop myself from snacking throughout the day etc.

HEPJan2015-1024x808.jpg
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited February 2016

Unless your snacking takes you over your calorie goal, snack away. On the other hand, I feel a structured eating plan makes it easier to stay within my alloted calories.
    Clean eating is a buzzword. It can mean anything, and thus nothing. Eating healthier can be a good goal to have.
    Kick start has nothing to with eating and health. Most people like to dive in head first, but most people can't keep that up. A gradual change in behavior through lots of little habits, is usually the most sustainable approach.
    A meal plan should be something you can stick to for the long haul. That means it should be personalized to you and your needs and your situation. The best resource for making a good meal plan for you, is you. Look at your schedule. When do you have time to eat and to cook? Think about your preferences. What do you like to eat? How do you like to eat? Play with your food diary to see how different menus affect your calories and macros. Adjust intil you get to something that satisfies your taste and your nutritional needs. Hint: Have some protein, fat and vegetables for every meal, and fruit, meat/fish, dairy and grains/potatoes every day. It's not rocket science. Common sense goes a long way.
  • gettingto65
    gettingto65 Posts: 78 Member
    I'm pretty boring and a creature of habit but I tend to stick to:
    Oats w raspberries
    Almonds
    Brown rice, peas and green beans
    Quest bar (maybe not clean but I need extra protein)
    Chicken and broccoli or a vege stir fry or courgetti with a passata bolognese sauce

:)
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Personally, I stayed making large meals and freezing the leftovers in portions. Then I have something quick to grab. The crockpot works wonders too.

What I cook the most is a ton of chicken breasts at a time and then shred. I can use it on salads, in tacos, make chicken salad, pulled chicken, etc.

Most meals I just focus on a protein, a vegetable, and a carb (I usually just pick up bread or tools, but you could easily do a grain or legume).
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    I agree with kommodevaran.

For me, a good structure is to focus on getting in protein and a good amount of vegetables at every meal. The rest tends to take care of itself. I eat enough at meals to be satisfied and avoid snacking by just not snacking. It took a bit of discipline to get in the habit as originally I still wanted to eat between meals (when food was on offer, when I wanted an excuse for a break, etc., etc.), and I let myself snack on raw vegetables until I got over that, but it really didn't take very long.

There's nothing wrong with snacking if you can do it without going over your calories or eating a different mix of foods than you would prefer to, but for me it doesn't work -- I am more satisfied and eat much better if I focus on getting in my food at regular meals (and sometimes a dessert).
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    edited February 2016
    auddii wrote: »
    Personally, I stayed making large meals and freezing the leftovers in portions. Then I have something quick to grab. The crockpot works wonders too.

What I cook the most is a ton of chicken breasts at a time and then shred. I can use it on salads, in tacos, make chicken salad, pulled chicken, etc.

Most meals I just focus on a protein, a vegetable, and a carb (I usually just pick up bread or tools, but you could easily do a grain or legume).

I have a hammer with every meal, but I'm gaining like, 3 lbs a day.

(yeah I know it was meant to be "rolls" but I just have this awesome visual now ... )
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member

Making sure your meals are balanced could help with snacking. Include protein, fat and carbs in each meal.

But some people are just happier snacking (or grazing) all day. If you feel more comfortable eating that way there is nothing wrong with it, but you may have to either skip meals or have very small meals. You can have a well balanced diet of nothing but snacks if you want.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator
    My go to recipe site is www.mccormick.com . I tend to focus on getting meats, fish, fruits, veggies, greek yogurt, whole grains (I eat bread daily, but I tend to use brands that have more natural ingredients), and nuts/peanut butter.

But like @rabbitjb asked, how are you defining clean.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member

I impose a lot of structure on myself by spending Sunday afternoons cooking and portioning things for the week. Especially snacks and lunches.

I make an egg white and veg frittata and cut it into 5 pieces. That's breakfast for the week.
    I make a batch of hummus and sometimes pita chips. That takes care of a few snacks.
    I cook a few chicken breasts. Sandwiches, salads, lots of things .. take a minute to make when you have cooked protein on hand.
    I always have yogurt, fruit, and nuts on hand.
    Etc.

I actually look forward to hitting the grocery store and cooking on Sundays. It helps keep me on track because for example, when snack time rolls around, I'll go for the hummus because I'll be gosh darned to heck if I'm going to throw any out.

A little bit of forethought and pre-gaming can do wonders to keep you on track.

Where i end up off the path is with late-night snacking. But instead of fighting it, I've adjusted my eating patterns to eat very little during the day.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Like others have said, there's nothing wrong with snacking in and of itself. However, when snacking turns into hitting the vending machine at 3:30 so that you only have 250 calories left for dinner or grabbing 200 calories of pretzels in front of the TV at night after you've already used up your calories for the day or whatever (and then you're still hungry), it can definitely throw you off.

Here's what I've been doing lately and it helps me a lot: I take some time each night to pre-plan the next day. I allot EVERY calorie to a meal or snack and I work hard adjusting my quantities of certain things to get my macros as near to perfect as I can - usually I can get things to 15-20 calories or less away from my goal (either way) and about 3 or fewer on my macros. Then, the next day, if I'm tempted by a snack, I can think about my absolutely perfectly planned day and I really don't want to have to mess that up - sure I could adjust my dinner or something but it's already so PERFECT, you know? :lol: It's just a mental game, but it works for me.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    sullus wrote: »
    auddii wrote: »

I have a hammer with every meal, but I'm gaining like, 3 lbs a day.

(yeah I know it was meant to be "rolls" but I just have this awesome visual now ... )

Stay away from the sledgehammers then :laugh:

OP, I have several cookbooks I really enjoy and just tweak the recipes. I will usually increase the veggies by about 1.5 times and make enough for 4-8 people. Once it's cooked, I freeze it into serving size containers. Then I have grab and go lunches premade.

As others have said, clean eating is personal and subjective. Perhaps try playing with some different recipes and substitute for your version of clean.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    To reduce snacking throughout the day I have two ideas; a slightly bigger breakfast. You might add peanut butter on toast with what you are already eating. This will keep you fuller through your morning.

The second idea is to pre-package your snacks. I like the snack size ziplocs. I try and add a little fat/protein with a carb, like half a protein bar, cheese and crackers, laughing cow wedge with celery, a few nuts (couple tablespoons). They seem to keep me fuller longer until dinner.
  • vfit10
    vfit10 Posts: 228 Member
    If you eat too clean you will go nuts after two weeks wanna balanced while watching your macros