Macros & Calories

Options

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    My body fat reading is from an online calculator - i used a few and they all told me around the same answer.

From what everyone is saying it seems i am doing this totally wrong. So...i need to reduce my deficit to 250calories and recalculate my macros from there? When iv tried to calculate my maintenance calories iv had a loads of different answers so i just worked out the average which was 1800. 1lb per week of fat loss instead of 2?

In terms of exercise i like to do HIIT for 20-30minutes where i usually burn around 350-400 i do insanity once a week for 45mins where i burn around 600-700 cals (depending on how hard i try)

Looks like i need to recalculate! =S

i doubt you maintain on 1800 gross - i'm 5ft5 and 138lbs and maintain on around net 1900 cals.

put your stats into MFP, if you have 20lbs to lose, then you can start on losing 1lb per week and then cut back to 0.5lbs. eat back a portion of your exercise cals. wait 4-6 weeks, tweak your cals up or down depending on the weight loss.

Iv put my stats in and placed it on very active, weight loss at 1lb per week and It has calculated 1780calories

if you want to do it that way you're better off going to scooby.com and working out your tdee then taking off 10-20%

Website under construction :-( i will keep trying over next couple of days.

Re calculations came to: Protein 134g, Fat 43g, Carbs 156g

Sounds more realistic to me

http://scoobysworkshop.com/
  • krystlelee12
    krystlelee12 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Do you want to follow a cut from TDEE or use the MFP way

Both work out the same really

But I don't think you're using the MFP calculator right ...activity level excludes purposeful exercise

Your exercise burns seem overly inflated...eat back half for 6-8 weeks then reassess based on weight loss

For TDEE this is a decent calculator http://www.weightloss-calculator.net Created by an mfper

If i set MFP to sedentary it tells me 1200 cals which is ridiculous! Okay thanks i will try that
  • TavistockToad
    Options

But I don't think you're using the MFP calculator right ...activity level excludes purposeful exercise

Your exercise burns seem overly inflated...eat back half for 6-8 weeks then reassess based on weight loss

For TDEE this is a decent calculator http://www.weightloss-calculator.net Created by an mfper

If i set MFP to sedentary it tells me 1200 cals which is ridiculous! Okay thanks i will try that

yes but then you eat back your exercise cals. it gives me 1200 if i set it to sedentary to lose 1lb per week. i am not really sedentary (even though i do have a desk job) and i only have enough to lose to be dropping half a pound a week anyway.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    If you've been tracking for a while and have seen your weight loss vs what you eat - I would not use a standard TDEE calculator but get a calculation for your own data.

Here, this might help: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/EvgeniZyntx/view/mfp-data-export-tool-the-overview-659927
  • krystlelee12
    Options

yes but then you eat back your exercise cals. it gives me 1200 if i set it to sedentary to lose 1lb per week. i am not really sedentary (even though i do have a desk job) and i only have enough to lose to be dropping half a pound a week anyway.

So i need to set it to sedentary?? ( i have a desk job but workout 5-6 times a week) so then id eat back my exercise calories minus 250calories for the deficit??
    1200 + workout cals - deficit ??
  • krystlelee12
    Options

Well either! Which ever is best and will help me calculate my macros correctly. This is so confusing :-(
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    You need to eat more fat and less protein
  • TavistockToad
    Options

So i need to set it to sedentary?? ( i have a desk job but workout 5-6 times a week) so then id eat back my exercise calories minus 250calories for the deficit??

1200 already includes the deficit. so just 1200 plus exercise cals if you use MFP method. but you have to be sure you're accurate in your burn/only eat back 50-75% of your cals.
  • emmas434
    emmas434 Posts: 29 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I have mine set at sedentary, I'm 5ft6 and 186 lbs, mines is set at 1540 cals for one pound weightloss, and I exercise daily and don't eat back my exercise calories. I've had a pretty steady loss, with a few slip ups here and there. I have my carbs set quite low, as I find I enjoy fat/protein food more and they work better for me.

I have mine at 116g carbs, 154g protein, 51g fat.

I watch my calories overall, and try to either be just under or slightly over my macros, they're not as important to me. Although if I am over already, I will try to avoid eating foods that will put me further over a certain macro.

Edited to include macros.
  • krystlelee12
    Options

1200 already includes the deficit. so just 1200 plus exercise cals if you use MFP method. but you have to be sure you're accurate in your burn/only eat back 50-75% of your cals.

Ahhhhh right okay! I understand that part now. I use a heart rate monitor for my cardio so that bit shouldn't be a problem.

So im just confused on my macros still. Calculate from TDEE or BMR?
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

Ahhhhh right okay! I understand that part now. I use a heart rate monitor for my cardio so that bit shouldn't be a problem.

Neither:

protein 0.6-1 g per lb body weight, fat at 0.30 - 0.35 g per lb body weight, the rest as you like.
  • krystlelee12
    Options
    emmas434 wrote: »
    I have mine set at sedentary, I'm 5ft6 and 186 lbs, mines is set at 1540 cals for one pound weightloss, and I exercise daily and don't eat back my exercise calories. I've had a pretty steady loss, with a few slip ups here and there. I have my carbs set quite low, as I find I enjoy fat/protein food more and they work better for me.

I watch my calories overall, and try to either be just under or slightly over my macros, they're not as important to me. Although if I am over already, I will try to avoid eating foods that will put me further over a certain macro.

I only weigh 4lbs less than you but are the same height but when i set mine to sedentary it says 1200. Thanks for this info.....i have been struggling with if i have been doing things correctly or not for a while now, i only like to focus on my macros by a PT at the gym.

• krystlelee12
    Options

Neither:

protein 0.6-1 g per lb body weight, fat at 0.30 - 0.35 g per lb body weight, the rest as you like.

Thank you
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Your deficit is very high for someone without much to lose.
    Your protein is way too excessive.
    Your fat is very low.

Worth a read....
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/819055/setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets/p1

I want to loose around 20lbs. Im only 5ft 6 and I weigh 182lbs. 26%body fat and 134lbs is lean body mass. To maintain i have to eat around 1800-1900 calories. Iv tried so many calculations to try work this out and have different answers each time. Its becoming highly frustrating as i don't know which are the correct answers lol. I will have a look at that link - thanks

Actually your macros look pretty good. I don't think your protein is too high at all. There are significant studies that show when you are in a deficit higher protein of 1 to 1.2 grams per pound will help maintain muscle while you lose fat. You need to be in a strength program though to get that benefit. I would agree that a 20% calorie deficit is all you need to do, so your body may need more fuel not less.

When I started I did 1.2 grams protein, 1 gram carb and .25 gram fat per pound as a starting point. That was with 4-6 hours of heavy weightlifting a week. I ended up adding a little fat and taking down my carbs a little. I lost 40 pounds of fat and added about 8 pounds of muscle doing this.

Try reading this and use their calculator.
    https://legionathletics.com/how-many-calories-should-i-eat/

Good luck on your journey!
  • TavistockToad
    Options

I only weigh 4lbs less than you but are the same height but when i set mine to sedentary it says 1200. Thanks for this info.....i have been struggling with if i have been doing things correctly or not for a while now, i only like to focus on my macros by a PT at the gym.

just out of interest, how much have you lost and in what time frame on the calories/macros you mentioned in your OP? for me doing it right is eating as much as you can while still losing weight...
  • krystlelee12
    Options

just out of interest, how much have you lost and in what time frame on the calories/macros you mentioned in your OP? for me doing it right is eating as much as you can while still losing weight...

I have been tracking my macros for about a month but these were on a 40 40 20 split not the ones mentioned in my original post. I wasn't seeing much fat loss i was only seeing result on muscle areas with less fat around (such as my shoulders and legs) i want to eat as much as i can while loosing fat too but i have been struggling with my stomach area for months. I only ever see progress from lifting weights on areas that have less fat around despite doing HIIT 4 times a week. As u can imagine I'm a very frustrated lady atm!
  • TavistockToad
    Options

I have been tracking my macros for about a month but these were on a 40 40 20 split not the ones mentioned in my original post. I wasn't seeing much fat loss i was only seeing result on muscle areas with less fat around (such as my shoulders and legs) i want to eat as much as i can while loosing fat too but i have been struggling with my stomach area for months. I only ever see progress from lifting weights on areas that have less fat around despite doing HIIT 4 times a week. As u can imagine I'm a very frustrated lady atm!

sadly if you're genetically predisposed to carry weigh on your stomach then its going to be sloooooooooooow going to lose it.

sounds like you were going the right way in that you could see a loss, but as you cannot spot reduce you may have to decide between losing 'too much' on your shoulders/legs to finally get the loss on your stomach, or carry a little more fat round your stomach than you ultimately would like.
  • krystlelee12
    Options

sadly if you're genetically predisposed to carry weigh on your stomach then its going to be sloooooooooooow going to lose it.

sounds like you were going the right way in that you could see a loss, but as you cannot spot reduce you may have to decide between losing 'too much' on your shoulders/legs to finally get the loss on your stomach, or carry a little more fat round your stomach than you ultimately would like.

:-( its a hard life!! Im going to have to lose too much fat on my legs and shoulders and then build these through heavy lifting. I would much rather do that. I've always been chubby even as a child so id like to see what its like to have a flat stomach haha. Thanks for all your help :-)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Your deficit is very high for someone without much to lose.
    Your protein is way too excessive.
    Your fat is very low.

Worth a read....
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/819055/setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets/p1

I want to loose around 20lbs. Im only 5ft 6 and I weigh 182lbs. 26%body fat and 134lbs is lean body mass. To maintain i have to eat around 1800-1900 calories. Iv tried so many calculations to try work this out and have different answers each time. Its becoming highly frustrating as i don't know which are the correct answers lol. I will have a look at that link - thanks

Actually your macros look pretty good. I don't think your protein is too high at all. There are significant studies that show when you are in a deficit higher protein of 1 to 1.2 grams per pound will help maintain muscle while you lose fat. You need to be in a strength program though to get that benefit. I would agree that a 20% calorie deficit is all you need to do, so your body may need more fuel not less.

When I started I did 1.2 grams protein, 1 gram carb and .25 gram fat per pound as a starting point. That was with 4-6 hours of heavy weightlifting a week. I ended up adding a little fat and taking down my carbs a little. I lost 40 pounds of fat and added about 8 pounds of muscle doing this.

Try reading this and use their calculator.
    https://legionathletics.com/how-many-calories-should-i-eat/

Good luck on your journey!

On the contrary there are significant studies showing that greater than 0.8g per lb of bodyweight brings no appreciable benefit to even the most elite body builders

This gives a good digestible summary and provides the source studies

http://bayesianbodybuilding.com/the-myth-of-1glb-optimal-protein-intake-for-bodybuilders/