Consistently gaining when I'm trying to lose

Options

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Honestly, if you're positive you're not eating more calories than you're recording, I think it could be worth checking in with your doctor. Get your thyroid checked (TSH and free T4). Are you on any medication that causes weight gain (i.e. gabapentin)?

Thyroid problems do run in my family as well. Once I find a doctor (recently moved), I will bring that up. Thank you.

And I'm currently on an antibiotic (via my dentist), but that's it for medicine.

I think the doctor visit is a good idea. If a medical problem is ruled out, that leaves calories. One reason why you may feel a lot of hunger could be the food you're eating. Many people find protein to be more filling than carbs even though they have the same calories per gram. You may also find that upping fat (while lowering another macro to make up for the calories) helps.
  • trjjoy
    trjjoy Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    My money is on you are eating more than you think you are. Use a food scale to weigh everything but liquids, choose the correct food entries from the food database, and let us know in a week's time.
  • americanzombiedesigns
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Are you eating your exercise calories back? How do you measure your food (i.e. scale, measuring cups, eyeballing it)?

I'm using measuring cups and a scale. I am also eating my exercise calorie back. That's the correct thing to do right?

How many calories are you eating? Not netting.

I try to eat 1200 to 1300 calories a day. And if I'm correct that is the minimum amount of calories a female body needs to function correctly.

You said you do 1-3 hours of cardio per day and eat back exercise calories. How can you have a base goal of 1200 and eat back exercise calories and still only eat 1200-1300 calories? That doesn't add up.

I'm sorry. Miss communicating. Let me clarify. This is really the first time I've ever done calorie counting so I'm doing this based on what the app says.

It says I should have 1200 calories a day. So I try and eat that. I then exercise which burns calories. I've read from different sources (if I'm wrong please correct me) that I need to eat back the calories I burned because if I don't then my body's calorie intake is below 1200 which can be bad for the body as 1200 is the lowest you should go. I normally don't eat back most of the calories I burned during workout, but I do eat back some.

If that information I've read is wrong then I will simply stop eating back my exercise calories.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    If you are gaining, you are eating too much.
  • americanzombiedesigns
    Options
    synacious wrote: »
    You're eating more than you think. Gaining 15 lbs in 7 months means that you are eating an average of 250 over maintenance each day. Or else you have something growing inside of you, like a tumor or cyst or a baby.

I'm honestly not. I've been to the point of being overly obsessive of making sure I'm not eating too much. I even go to bed hungry because my calorie allowance says I shouldnt eat any more.

Cancer runs in my family, so it's possible. But I doubt I have a 15 lb tumor without showing any symptoms.

And a baby is impossible.

When you say you're using measuring cups, do you only use them for liquids? If not, then it's very possible to be eating more calories than you think. Try to think what changed between March to July and July until now. Less physical activity? A slight calorie increase? Nothing at all? If the answer truly is nothing, then you need to see a doctor because the body doesn't just put weight on steadily without a severe medical issue or a surplus of calories.

The only difference I've had is a spike in depression (and I normally eat less when on depression spikes). Other than that nothing has changed in the way I have been dieting.
  • americanzombiedesigns
    americanzombiedesigns Posts: 16 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Guys. Stop telling me I'm eating to much.

I'm being extremely careful that I'm not eating too much and that I'm eating enough.

This is why I reached out to the community to try and find out why with all my obsessive weighing, calorie counting, and exercise that I'm still gaining weight.

I don't want to be told that eating only 3 very small healthy meals a day is eating too much.

Some, not all, of you are making me regret reaching out and asking for help
  • drocksi317
    drocksi317 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Aright well, then second thing to look at cause it seems that u are working out enough are your meals nutrient filled, or is it more calorie based..if you could break up what you eat in percentages between, veggies, fruits, meats, and processed foods what would it be to equal 100
  • jesscran815
    jesscran815 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it helps for me to suggest changes if I can see your diary. Would you be able to make it public? I think that could give us a better idea of what you are eating without us just saying "you're eating too much" and offering no helpful suggestions...because that can be irritating. :smile:
  • jemhh
    Options
    Are you eating your exercise calories back? How do you measure your food (i.e. scale, measuring cups, eyeballing it)?

I'm using measuring cups and a scale. I am also eating my exercise calorie back. That's the correct thing to do right?

How many calories are you eating? Not netting.

I try to eat 1200 to 1300 calories a day. And if I'm correct that is the minimum amount of calories a female body needs to function correctly.

You said you do 1-3 hours of cardio per day and eat back exercise calories. How can you have a base goal of 1200 and eat back exercise calories and still only eat 1200-1300 calories? That doesn't add up.

I'm sorry. Miss communicating. Let me clarify. This is really the first time I've ever done calorie counting so I'm doing this based on what the app says.

It says I should have 1200 calories a day. So I try and eat that. I then exercise which burns calories. I've read from different sources (if I'm wrong please correct me) that I need to eat back the calories I burned because if I don't then my body's calorie intake is below 1200 which can be bad for the body as 1200 is the lowest you should go. I normally don't eat back most of the calories I burned during workout, but I do eat back some.

If that information I've read is wrong then I will simply stop eating back my exercise calories.

No, you're right to eat back calories and not go below 1200. I asked for clarification because some people will eat 2000 and think they burned 800 calories exercising, which MFP shows as netting 1200. They then say they ate 1200 when they actually ate 2000. I just wanted to be sure we were talking about what you're eating, not what you're netting.
  • jemhh
    Options

Well there are only three options. You have a medical problem, you're pregnant, or you're eating too much to lose. You said pregnancy was impossible so that leaves medical problem or eating too much. Most people who don't lose, who gain, are eating too much.
  • elphie754
    Options

You asked what the issue was, and people told you. The simple fact is-you are not in a calorie deficit if you are not losing weight, therefore you are eating to much.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

You asked what the issue was, and people told you. The simple fact is-you are not in a calorie deficit if you are not losing weight, therefore you are eating to much.

This^
  • americanzombiedesigns
    Options

I eat 1200 calories a day. That's the minimum you can eat without going into starvation mode.

Based on another lovey person who is posting, I might have a medical condition that is causing this. I plan to go to a doctor soon to find out
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    By the way, starvation mode is a myth.

Can you make your diary public?
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    He is on a crusade to get people on IF.

Must be a recent epiphany......................
  • CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Until you weigh your food, you don't know how many calories you're eating. Whilst it's not an exact science, it's helpful to cut out as many variables as possible. So whilst you think you're eating 1200 cals based on your current methods, you may in fact be eating more - that's what people are trying to tell you.
  • elphie754
    Options

I eat 1200 calories a day. That's the minimum you can eat without going into starvation mode.

Based on another lovey person who is posting, I might have a medical condition that is causing this. I plan to go to a doctor soon to find out

You are probably eating more than you think. People are not saying drop you calories below 1200, they are saying you aren't actually eating 1200 like you seem to believe.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options

If you have hypothyroidism it would lower your metabolism so you would be overeating for your metabolism but with meds you can get your thyroid level back to normal.
  • MarziDeThrall
    MarziDeThrall Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I really think you should visit your doctor asap.
  • smotheredincheese
    smotheredincheese Posts: 559 Member
    Options

But if you're gaining weight then the evidence suggests you must be eating more than that, whether through inaccurate logging or something else I don't know.