Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Kicking PCOS` Butt

Just recently found out I have pcos and I'm trying to lose up to forty pounds so that my hair can grow back to normal and so I can have the family I've always dreamed of. Looking for motivated friends or if you want to add me I can give you some tips or support. But also just wanted to say help :)

Replies

• ToffeeGirl_1878
    ToffeeGirl_1878 Posts: 30 Member
    Hi, I too have pcos. I found out when I was 16 (I'm 36 now). Always struggled with my weight and was told I would struggle to conceive naturally. But 10 years ago I lost a lot of weight with with weight watchers and I got pregnant the natural way
  • abailey87
    abailey87 Posts: 3 Member
    edited February 2016
    Hi BabbyGirllLove! I have PCOS, too. I was diagnosed about 5 years ago. I'm trying to loose 20 pounds to help me have a kiddo. I would love to support you and have you support me. Isn't the internet amazing? (Also- I just realized I don't have a profile picture and that's creepy. I've never gotten on here for support before, this is the first time. I'll find a picture soon :blush:
  • ToffeeGirl_1878
    ToffeeGirl_1878 Posts: 30 Member
    Hi, I too have pcos. I found out when I was 16 (I'm 36 now). Always struggled with my weight and was told I would struggle to conceive naturally. But 10 years ago I lost a lot of weight with with weight watchers and I got pregnant the natural way

And again 5 years later. But once again my weight has crept back up and I'm here to gain control again. Don't give up and one day it will happen for you too.
  • fernaeriehl
    fernaeriehl Posts: 25 Member
    edited February 2016
    Hi ladies I have pcos too but they are going to remove my ovary removed. So I'm trying to lose weight so I get heal faster and there is a chance, when I find the right person
  • abailey87
    Oh man! I'm sorry, fernaeriehl! That's tough.
  • fernaeriehl
    It's all good have to try be positive
  • abailey87
    You'll get through it! And hopefully feel much better in the end!
  • fernaeriehl
    Yeah I hope it doesn't take long to recover
  • BabbyGirllLove
    BabbyGirllLove Posts: 2 Member
    As long as we all stick together and help one another we will all reach our goals :) Ever since we found out my boyfriend has been super supportive and wanting to make all these changes with me lol he's great but I'm hoping to lose 15lbs by the time I go back to the doctor so I can get of the birth control (helping my hair first) but we got this :)
  • niamibunni
    niamibunni Posts: 110 Member
    40 pounds was my magic number with both pregnancies and PCOS. I changed my eating habits and my hair is finally improving after a decade of thinning.
  • DJstardust
    DJstardust Posts: 7 Member
    Sorry to sound like a clueless boob, but what is PCOS? Add me regardless, I love cheering people on :star: you can do it!
  • scooterjen
    scooterjen Posts: 28 Member
    I've let myself get 50 lbs. overweight and it was very easy (thank you PCOS). I'm 46 and just trying to feel better. Today is my 3rd day of tracking. I did this 2 years ago and lost 10 lbs over 3 months. It's slow but it works. Just wondering if anybody else has the aches and pains I do in their 40s from carrying around extra weight? That is my main motivation for weight loss...to be as pain free as possible.
  • breelovesgoldy
    breelovesgoldy Posts: 27 Member
    Hi all i was told i have pcos i dont know much about it . All i know is they wanted to cut me open and i was like oh hell no im fine. anyways im trying to lose 10 kilos i wish you all the best feel free to add me as a friend your all beautiful and we CAN do this
  • RachEstapa
    RachEstapa Posts: 1 Member
    edited February 2016
    DJstardust wrote: »
    Sorry to sound like a clueless boob, but what is PCOS? Add me regardless, I love cheering people on :star: you can do it!

PCOS stands for Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, which is a disorder that affects women hormonally, metabolically, and reproductively. The body has a hard time processing certain hormones and results in ovaries having cysts on them (egg follicles that never release.) They hurt when they burst!

For those who have PCOS, common symptoms are irregular/missed periods, infertility, difficulty with managing insulin, are often overweight/obese + harder to lose weight, and hormones are off-balance. Other women also have issues with body hair (too much/thinning), skin tags and darkening. It really affects women on nearly every level..physical, emotional and mental (depression is also more common.)

I've had it since I was 12 and now at 31, have had two surgeries related to it + issues with depression and blood sugar. I've learned what makes my symptoms flare up. But it's certainly a challenge to manage and explain to other people..as it's an "invisible disorder" not well understood.

I hope this helps!
  • klarson90
    klarson90 Posts: 1 Member
    I am currently undergoing testing, they haven't quite figured out what is wrong yet. But in the meantime I have wanted to reduce my weight so that regardless of what treatment they prescribe the chances of it being successful increase dramatically if you have a healthy BMI, which I do not. So here is to losing 40 lbs!

Good luck to all of you!
  • Brittles927
    Brittles927 Posts: 348 Member
    I was diagnosed with PCOS about 8 years ago. My weight has always been an issue :( would love to have some friends who understand and have been through the same! A few years ago I dropped close to 30 pounds and got pregnant (had been told I'd need medical help for that) but since having my daughter I've gained it all plus more back. I've lost 6 lbs since joining myfitnesspal and log in daily! Feel free to add me