Losing these f* last 5 kg...cardio versus strength training

Options
Hey guys, I'm not new here, and I'm not new to weight loss. I've never had a huge amount of weight to drop in my life, but for a big part of it, I've always had SOME weight to drop to feel healthy and confident (about 5-6kg).

As you probably know, these last kg are the hardest to drop. I've successfully managed to do so 3 yrs ago here on myfitness pal but...I couldn't maintain well and I've started to slowly but inexorably gaining them all back. The moment I stopped counting calories and sticking to that fitness routine, I got them slowly back in the last 2 yrs.

I'll get to the point. I have a very busy life with 2 jobs and basically no free time. The fitness routine I was doing 3 yrs ago was all about 1h of cardio 6 days/ week (I was working part time at that time). I started to loose weight immediately and I could have the results that I wanted in about 2 months. Now I couldn't do that. So I thought about switching to another type of routine, based on little cardio and mostly strength training, but...

I'm not seeing the results! When I train, I feel like what I'm doing is ok for my lifestyle, but I don't feel particulary challenged during the working out and I'm wondering if I'm doing it right. ( Note that I'm doing that myself at home and not at a gym so I cannot ask for help). Note that I'm following the same nutrition regime than the other time...so the problem is the fitness here. I'm doing strength training (circuit training with weights) 4 days a week+ 1 day of pilates/yoga and a little of cardio just to warm up.

To cut it short, my questions to the ladies doing strength training out there are:

1. After starting to train, how long before you see the results (weight loss, muscles...)?
2. How do you know you're doing it right? (picking the right amount of weight, level of soreness afterwards or feeling of fatigue during the training)
3. How much cardio you include in your training routine?

I think I might be too impatient or I'm not doing it right...I'll be glad to whoever can take the time to answer me :)<3

Replies

• AshetteKetchum
    AshetteKetchum Posts: 26 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    1. After starting to train, how long before you see the results (weight loss, muscles...)?
    Its going to differ from each and every person. No one is the same. You probably won't notice results as dramatically or as soon as you'd like.... but others will. In my experience I didn't really see any major changes in my body until about the 3 month mark, and then drastically at the 6 month mark. I found that the scale was pretty much useless unless your going to also measure body % fat. I really noticed a change in my clothing sizes, and starting to feel lean, if that makes any sense, lol.

Since my beginning of my journey I have lost almost 20% body fat (started at 38%), but gained 20 pounds lean muscle mass. It can be frustrating sometimes and I'm also impatient so I feel ya, but all you can really do is continue to work hard. I would also say to see the best results you need to keep a relatively healthy diet, and be training often (with rest days too). The lower the body % fat you want to go, and more muscle definition you want, you will have to be willing to eat a higher protein diet, and be pretty strict. I'm prepping for show right now, and its not as easy as some think it is.

2. How do you know you're doing it right? (picking the right amount of weight, level of soreness afterwards or feeling of fatigue during the training)

If you are unsure how to do certain exercises try using bodybuilding.com. There is tons of good information, videos, programs, etc to help you. I would say you should pick a weight that challenges you, but still allows you to complete a good amount of reps and sets. I personally do 5 sets of 8 for most muscle groups. I slowly increase the weight throughout the sets if I'm feeling confident. Proper form is very important as well. Too many people pick up weights that are way too heavy for them and risk injuring themselves because they have no proper technique at all, and usually are trying to force things to happen, or try to do their reps extremely fast. (People in the gym doing hammer curls and standing bicep curls are notorious for this). Also don't be afraid to change up your routine and program, especially if you aren't seeing good results.

I enjoy feeling sore because I know that I have worked my muscles hard. Although sometimes I barley get sore at all. It really just depends on a lot of different variables. In the beginning you will notice you will get incredibly sore, but it gets better the more your body gets use to the changes. If you are really, really sore though, I would recommend taking a rest day. I notice my soreness within 24 hours after working out, but may differ person to person.

That depends on your preference and fitness goals. Cardio and weight training is a great combination, and you may have to experiment a bit with what you like, and what works for you. My trainer has me doing 20 minute cardio sessions on a low impact bike 3 times a week, after weights (but not on leg day =P). I hate cardio so running or HIT is out of the question for me. Cardio is great to help burn fat, but I would suggest doing your weights first to use your full energy. Some people also like to do one cardio day a week, and rather do a longer period of time like 30-60 minutes. Its really up to you.

Hope this helps,
    Good luck on your journey.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    If you do not feel challenged, you should change it, this part is obvious. For example, "weight training" can mean a lot of things. It can be lifting really heavy (for you) and then needing the next day to recover. Or it can be a very light circuit with easy to handle dumbbells than in practice will be more relaxed cardio than strength training. Are you following some specific program or just trying to come up with yoru own routine? The second will not be easy with no experience in weights.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

It was long enough ago that I just don't remember. I know I did bodyweight training for 3-4 months and then switched to lifting and may a month later my SIL said that I looked strong and my FIL said "Don't know what you're doing, kid, but keep it up, ya look great."

Progress (increased weight or reps or time) is my marker. I rarely am sore after training. I do get hungry :)

This varies with the seasons and my mood. Right now I'm into counting steps with my Fitbit. I'm mostly walking with a run thrown in if I want to quickly hit my step goal. I'm aiming at 13,000 steps on non lifting days and 10,000 on lifting days. I pretty much picked those numbers because I can eat in the 1600-1700 calorie range and still lose a pound a week when I hit them.
  • serenere
    serenere Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys! Your answers really helped. I guess I should definitely try to make it more challenging!
    Nutrition wise, I'm on a balanced diet 60-20-20. 20% of protein may seem not enough for most people, but cutting my carbs is a no no, it's a matter of mental health for me (I'm Italian, I can't give up pasta and pizza. EVER). I'd rather work harder on my fitness routine...
    To answer some of your questions, I'm following a fitness blender workout program which I purchased online. Strength training it's a mix of bodyweight and lifting. I'm lifting about 5kg which I thought it was enough for a beginner...but maybe not. The remarks you made about cardio enlightened me, I should probably do more of it too.

Thanks everybody!
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    serenere wrote: »
    I'm lifting about 5kg which I thought it was enough for a beginner...
    aggelikik wrote: »
    If you do not feel challenged, you should change it, this part is obvious. For example, "weight training" can mean a lot of things. It can be lifting really heavy (for you) and then needing the next day to recover. Or it can be a very light circuit with easy to handle dumbbells than in practice will be more relaxed cardio than strength training. Are you following some specific program or just trying to come up with yoru own routine? The second will not be easy with no experience in weights.

What you're doing is more likely cardio with weights. Weight training usually incorporates progressive overload, and heavier lifting then 5kg.

• serenere
    serenere Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I'll keep that in mind, thank you!
  • antennachick
    antennachick Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    High intensity or crossfit style workouts are awesome for that last amount of wieght. If you do cardio with eithier wieghts or body weight you will see better results