For how long is it normal for muscles to hurt after workout?

Options
I did some knee push ups and sit ups five days ago, and almost all of my body hurt the day after that. It slowly disappeared and now only my stomach hurts. But isn't it too long for it to still hurt? My lower stomach still hurts really badly if I lift my legs or otherwise use the muscle of that area.
Is it normal? For how long is it normal for muscles to hurt after workout?

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    When you first start working out, especially if you do an activity that challenges you, you can be sore for several days. Many people find that they do not get sore on a regular basis once exercise becomes a regular part of their life.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    You probably over did it.

Let me guess, you went from doing nothing to doing this in one leap?

DOMS probably lasts 2 days at most when you change your routine, add a bunch of volume or seriously ramp up the intensity in a short period of time.

Normal human movement (gentle swimming, easy walking) can help. If DOMS lasts more than 2 days - take that as a message to ramp up to that intensity over a few sessions next time.
  • dairaoga
    dairaoga Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    jimmmer wrote: »

Let me guess, you went from doing nothing to doing this in one leap?

You guessed, it was my first attemt on pushups/situps since high school. But I wouldn't say I over did it. I only did a few sets of 3-5 knee pushups and 10-15 situps!
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    dairaoga wrote: »
    I did some knee push ups and sit ups five days ago, and almost all of my body hurt the day after that. It slowly disappeared and now only my stomach hurts. But isn't it too long for it to still hurt? My lower stomach still hurts really badly if I lift my legs or otherwise use the muscle of that area.

Read up on DOMS...

http://www.livestrong.com/article/393797-water-retention-after-resistance-training/
  • cowgirlslikeus86
    cowgirlslikeus86 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Remember that the 5 minutes you spend stretching after a workout will save you the 2-5 days of pain and soreness that can follow. Never skimp on the stretching.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,508 Member
    Options
    Remember that the 5 minutes you spend stretching after a workout will save you the 2-5 days of pain and soreness that can follow. Never skimp on the stretching.
    While stretching is good for flexibility, there's no evidence to show that it reduces DOMS.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• dairaoga
    dairaoga Posts: 22 Member
    Options

Thanks! Didn't knew about stretching!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,508 Member
    Options

Thanks! Didn't knew about stretching!
    Stretching is for flexibility. It doesn't reduce DOMS.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    Options
    Yup, I stretch, and have been working out for many years. But any time I implement anything new, or extra anything, (with or without stretching) I go thru days of DOMS. Sometimes only a day, but if I try something extreme, like BeachBody or Jillian Michaels Shred? I can't walk/sit/pee/do up my shoes for at least 3 days...LOL! The best bet is to do other body parts until those sore muscles feel a bit better, and remember that a foam roller and advil can be your best friends....xo
  • PhoebeJeebies
    PhoebeJeebies Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I work out regularly and have had times where I've been sore for that long. Usually it's if I'm doing something new and/or fatiguing muscles I haven't worked in quite some time. It doesn't necessarily mean injury! You worked your rectus abdominus. Hard. It's just taking longer to heal. :)
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options

DOMS probably lasts 2 days at most when you change your routine, add a bunch of volume or seriously ramp up the intensity in a short period of time.

I disagree with this. DOMS is not only if you've just changed your activity level. Some people are prone to it, and others aren't. 2 days is typical for DOMS, but 3 or 4 isn't out of the norm. 5 is a bit much. I am prone to DOMS do I expect it.

I do agree that active recovery will help. I always run the day after a training session. It helps, but certainly doesn't eliminate the soreness.

• SingingSingleTracker
    Options
    omma_to_3 wrote: »

I disagree with this. DOMS is not only if you've just changed your activity level. Some people are prone to it, and others aren't. 2 days is typical for DOMS, but 3 or 4 isn't out of the norm.

THIS!!!
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options

When I first started heavy lifting, my body hurt for upwards of a week. Now I'll just feel like my muscles are slightly tired the day after I increase weight.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    DOMS for up to 24 - 72 hours can be normal. Pushing it to day 4 is not.

For OP, the doms has subsided except lower abs, could have strained it.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    I had it bad in soooo many muscles once, and it lasted 6-7 days, with maybe 4 of them being extreme. That was from overdoing it, definitely. But it wasn't a pulled muscle or anything. Just regular DOMS, but a really rough case of it.

Usually mine is from 1-3 days and at a level that I kind of enjoy, lol.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    Options
    gia07 wrote: »

Not pushing it at all to still feel it on day 4. Depends on one's age, genetics, ability to recover, and the effort that tore the muscles in the first place.

24443547804_8ee7ffdc41_o.jpg
  • jimmmer
    Options

Not pushing it at all to still feel it on day 4. Depends on one's age, genetics, ability to recover, and the effort that tore the muscles in the first place.

You mean by "not pushing it at all" "pushing it to the extent that I can't recover for 4 days..."

I think people confuse what they're able to do mentally, with what they've physically built the work-capacity to recover from. Notwithstanding some people do suffer more than others due to the previously mentioned factors, but if you're suffering 5 days out, something's wrong with your volume/intensity. You'll make faster progress if you scale the vol/int to the amount that allows you to go again at a slighter greater vol/int 48-72hrs later (depending on training age of the trainee). Obviously the more advanced an athlete you need to periodise in a more nuanced fashion to allow for cns, muscular, etc recovery - but if you're half-arsing sessions you should be able to complete due to lingering DOMS, then your programming is off. That's just a fact.

• SingingSingleTracker
    edited February 2016
    Options

You mean by "not pushing it at all" "pushing it to the extent that I can't recover for 4 days..."

I think people confuse what they're able to do mentally, with what they've physically built the work-capacity to recover from. Notwithstanding some people do suffer more than others due to the previously mentioned factors, but if you're suffering 5 days out, something's wrong with your volume/intensity. You'll make faster progress if you scale the vol/int to the amount that allows you to go again at a slighter greater vol/int 48-72hrs later (depending on training age of the trainee). Obviously the more advanced an athlete you need to periodise in a more nuanced fashion to allow for cns, muscular, etc recovery - but if you're half-arsing sessions you should be able to complete due to lingering DOMS, then your programming is off. That's just a fact.

My "not pushing it at all" was in reference to gia07's comment "DOMS for up to 24 - 72 hours can be normal. Pushing it to day 4 is not."

A blanket statement that DOMS beyond 3 days for anyone is not normal - is erroneous.

Try doing a 4, 6, 12, or 24 hour endurance event. Even after correct periodized training, tapering for the "A" event, the pounding and getting beat up during the event as you perform just as you have trained to perform has quite a lengthy recovery period before the DOMS subsides.

So I just was cautioning that a blanket statement that 3 days or less covers all.

Talk to me 10-12 years from now when you are in your 50's about how your DOMS and recovery in every scenario is confined to a short and tidy time span of 3 days or less. ;-)
  • jimmmer
    Options

My "not pushing it at all" was in reference to gia07's comment "DOMS for up to 24 - 72 hours can be normal. Pushing it to day 4 is not."

A blanket statement that DOMS beyond 3 days for anyone is not normal - is erroneous.

Try doing a 4, 6, 12, or 24 hour endurance event. Even after correct periodized training, tapering for the "A" event, the pounding and getting beat up during the event as you perform just as you have trained to perform has quite a lengthy recovery period before the DOMS subsides.

So I just was cautioning that a blanket statement that 3 days or less covers all.

Talk to me 10-12 years from now when you are in your 50's about how your DOMS and recovery in every scenario is confined to a short and tidy time span of 3 days or less. ;-)

Doing a race, a meet, an event, a fight is to take your body to a place that is beyond your current training level. If you aren't in trouble for a week afterwards, then you really didn't go all out for it.

This is totally different from the usual sensible building of volume in training.

My contention is that a sensible session to session, or week to week, increase in training volume or intensity (not peaking/tapering/competing) shouldn't be stimulating massive DOMS that make it impractical for you to perform at your next training session. To try to suggest tapering and competing are what I was talking about is disingenuous, at best.

• fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Depends on how far I over push. On leg day, if my quads are quivering before I leave the gym I know I'm in for about a week of pain. And instead of kicking in 2 days after the workout, it kicks in hard the next day.