Workout with sacroiliac pain

Options
I have been working to lose weight ant get in better shape for the past few months. Starting with mainly cardio on my treadmill and working my way up to doing T25 workouts followed by treadmill in the morning and a combination of classes at lunch including circuit, yoga and trx. I felt like I was making pretty good progress and had lost some weight and was starting to see some changes in muscle tone. However, last weekend I hurt myself and have been in pain ever since. My chiropractor says this is sacroiliac joint pain and I have been to see him a couple of times which seems helpful at the time. However, I am struggling with not working out...feeling like all my hard work will go down the drain. Has anyone out there found ways to work out through this without making it worse? What type of workouts did you use?

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest setting s physical therapist. They can advise on the right exercises. I was off workouts for almost a month last year after surgery and was surprised how quickly I got back to where I had been.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    I'd second the recommendation to see a physical therapist or physiotherapist.

My physio is the one that diagnosed the lower crossed syndrome that was keeping my muscles pulling on the SI joints and causing pain. Knowing what was going on allowed my coach to give me the correctives. A mix of the proper correctives, cupping, massage, acupuncture and dry needling keep me on track pain free and able to lift.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I tweak my SI joint occasionally and it's better in 1-2 weeks usually.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Took me a year to get back to pre-injury. But I tore a bunch of ligaments and twisted that sucker right up.

If chiropractic visits help, but you keep finding yourself getting worse again, then alignment issues are due to muscular imbalances/tightness/weakness. All the adjustments in the world will likely only provide temp relief, if that's the case because the underlying issue will continue to pull you back out of true.

A qualified Physio will be able to work out what's pulling you out of true and prescribe exercises to get everything tight and in line on a permanent basis.
  • mummiecakes
    mummiecakes Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the insights! Looks like I will be asking for a referral to a physiotherapist if this continues. I have been doing some research around strengthening and/or stretching as well and am hopeful to find the right combo to maintain things in a better state once I get there.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Did the chiro give you any home exercises to do? I had crawling on the floor level back pain a few years ago. After x-rays, and MRI determined it was a tight SI joint (note, from my reading females usually have looseness in the SI joint that causes issues). The neurologist said it could also be some inflammation in my psoas. Said they couldn't tell for sure if the psoas was involved without some imaging with dye and the treatment would be the same. Dr said in my case root cause was too much sitting (office job 8-10 hrs a day and 2 hours in car commute). I went to a Dr of PT who did some adjustments and gave me home exercises.
  • KareninLux
    KareninLux Posts: 1,413 Member
    Options
    Oh la. I have had SI issues and two compressed discs from sitting at a desk for the last 25 years. Was prescribed phsyiotherapy through what is call the DBC clinic - Document Based Care clinic here in Luxembourg. It was a 12 week programme with 2 X 90 minutes sessions each week of physio therapy/weight training and abdomimal muscle reconditioning under the supervision of a physiotherapist. It has reduced my pain about 90% and allowed me to return to work. Strongly recommend it if it is available in your area. My health coverage will reimburse it 90%. www.dbc.com
  • mummiecakes
    mummiecakes Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    My chiropractor has given me one stretch to do at home so far and has ok'd walking on the treadmill with no incline. Although it sounds like your pain was much more severe than mine, I also have a desk job and commute 1 1/2 to 2 hours each day. I've been researching different exercises as well and it looks like most recommendations are for strengthening hamstrings, glutes, lower back, so bridges, planks, deadlifts etc. I am currently not able to do more than the bridges without it becoming very painful. I see the chiropractor again tonight and will ask about exercise. I think talking to a PT makes sense too and will talk to my dr. about a referral as well.

Thanks!
  • AliceA2013
    AliceA2013 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I would second what other people have said and find a physiotherapist instead
    - see this article, which is written by an experienced chiropractor:
    - http://edzardernst.com/2013/10/twenty-things-most-chiropractors-wont-tell-you/
    and http://health.spectator.co.uk/the-evidence-shows-that-chiropractors-do-more-harm-than-good/