Cooking for 2

Options
So when I cook for me and hubby I have a third of the total and I put into my diary 0.3 of all individual ingredients if that makes sense. I'm just wondering if anyone has a more accurate way of calculating as I know my method is not going to be 100% accurate. The only way I can think to do that is cook mine separately which I'm not prepared to do in all honesty.

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Have you tried using the Recipe Builder?
  • mrsb461
    mrsb461 Posts: 38 Member
    Options

Yes I have. From what I could work out its the same as what I do really.....please correct me if I'm wrong
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    mrsb461 wrote: »

Yes I have. From what I could work out its the same as what I do really.....please correct me if I'm wrong

I think the end results would be the same -- but with the recipe builder you would be able to save it easily for future use.
  • NatashaLP2014
    NatashaLP2014 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I use the recipe builder when I cook for my husband and I, weigh the ingredients as I go and then weigh the entire dish afterward in grams and change the number of servings to the number of grams. I then get my portion in grams afterward and it works well if I eat leftovers for lunch the next days as I can get an accurate amount then too. Or if I made a big batch of chili, I know how many calories I'm eating even if it's been in the freezer for a few weeks after I made it.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    mrsb461 wrote: »

I think the end results would be the same -- but with the recipe builder you would be able to save it easily for future use.

Yeah pretty much this. But I do what you do a lot too when I'm too lazy to make a recipe (plus my recipes are typically for more than 6 servings).
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    That's pretty much what I do, too, especially when it's not something I'm planning on making again so it doesn't make sense to do a recipe. For big-batch things that I freeze portions of later, recipe builder is awesome, but, for example, if a friend gives me some organic grass fed beef from their ranch, for example, I'm not likely to have that meat in the house often enough to build a recipe or anything. Or if something comes in the organic veggie box that I'd never buy on my own, I just weigh everything that goes in, write it down, then divide it out.
    My husband is counting his calories and tracking intake, too, and has a much stricter dietary requirement when it comes to carbs than I do, so I have to make sure we're both getting our requirements met.