I'm sick of hearing that 180lbs 'wouldn't look right' on me!!

Options

Replies

• nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Stop talking to these people about it. If it comes up again, just say "Yeah, maybe you're right," and then do whatever you want, anyway.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    parfia wrote: »
    @yesimpson - Thank you. I love the 'with the greatest of respect' - I basically want the response of 'yes, you are fat enough to lose 4-5 stone'!!! haha

Thank you for the advice, I've just heard it so many times and each time its 'its a healthy BMI' and then you get the whole BMI's are rubbish response and its a spiral from there really!!

Yes you're fat enough to lose 4-5 stone :)

(So was I and nobody would believe it either)
  • mpat81
    mpat81 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I think you'd look great at 180! That's a very reasonable goal. There will be people who tell you they are worried about how thin you're getting, (sigh)! I usually ask them why they weren't worried when I was 50 lbs overweight. People are just thoughtless sometimes, maybe a tad jealous too.
  • star1407
    star1407 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Why don't you break it down into stones, then you get lots of "wins" along the way to boost your confidence and sense of achievement and you can evaluate after each stone how you look and if you want to drop another.
  • Kamikazeflutterby
    Kamikazeflutterby Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    I agree that it's a safe goal, but the tactic of "see? Internet forum goers agree with me!" seems a bad way to win the argument. Find another way, or you'll be taking a poll for every aspect of weight loss. This will not be the last time someone makes a comment IRL about your goals and appearance.
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Generally I don't share goals about weight or whatever I have going on in the area. When I started I shared my goal weight with a close friend - at 44 years old, 5'2" and 244 lbs. my goals weight that my doctor and come up with was 170. The comment I got from my friend was 'when you get there, you might want to continue losing,' I was honestly crushed. The funny thing is that I got down to 146 and she thought I look ill and way too small, I was honestly happiest around 160 but my goal range is 154- 157, that is going from size 20/22 to 2/4. As hard as it can be, that number on the scale doesn't mean as much as we think. Do what feels and looks right for you - your being happy and comfortable will reflect so much more than anything the scale shows.
  • bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    Clearly you need to continue losing weight and gaining muscle.

wow talk about straight-forward? you leave pretty rude responses on SO many threads from what i have seen... maybe you should tone it down a bit.

anyway back to the OP's original topic... don't pay attention to what others think/say! keep going until YOU feel comfortable with your weight/how you look. its YOUR body!
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    bellaa_x0 wrote: »

wow talk about straight-forward? you leave pretty rude responses on SO many threads from what i have seen... maybe you should tone it down a bit.

anyway back to the OP's original topic... don't pay attention to what others think/say! keep going until YOU feel comfortable with your weight/how you look. its YOUR body!

I'm direct. The OP and I are friends, so I suspect that she is aware of this...and that honesty is what she hoping for by posting the thread in the first place.

What's the point of asking questions if we are all just going to lie to each other?
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

I'm direct. The OP and I are friends, so I suspect that she is aware of this...and that honesty is what she hoping for by posting the thread in the first place.

What's the point of asking questions if we are all just going to lie to each other?

1bb7f14674042dd0c929a6d0bdd6cfd1.gif

ETA: That was the closest I could find to "warm fuzzies for everyone" on google.
  • desireebethea
    desireebethea Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I think you have to know what is right for you... I am 5 7 and have wide hips I want to be at 170/180 for my goal I am at 237
    I don't care what bmi says I don't want to be under 160 I have a big head and big feet can you picture me looking like a lollipop lol I know how I looked at 160 don't want to be that...
    Anyway bottom line is as long as you are healthy and happy go for it
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    I'm assuming that most of the people who are basically telling you to not lose more weight are women. I don't disclose my weight to other women, b/c I don't want the potentially annoying comments: "wow, you weigh THAT much" or "wow, you weigh THAT little."
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Congrats on the 45 lbs you've lost!!!

Keep chugging away. They'll get used to the new you. You're not aiming for something drastic like the very BOTTOM of the healthy range for your height.

I avoid giving people specifics of what I'm at or aiming for. None of most people's business in my life. They'll either disbelieve my actual weight, or silently judge me for it, neither of which is particularly useful to me. Controlling other people's reactions is an entirely fruitless struggle.

My parents are starting to notice and worry a little but only because I suffered from extremely disordered eating as a teenager. My approach to it now is worlds apart from what I did then, but I understand their concern. I've discovered that by focusing on my increased stamina and ability to do the things I love when talking with them, I have gotten a lot of support instead. Yes, I have to regularly address their concerns.. but that's because they know and love me. I've decided its ok to have people who love me worry about me to some extent. It sure beats not being cared about and no one noticing.

Addendum: I'm not implying there's anything wrong with the bottom of the healthy weight range, for you or anyone else. I mean that there's a lot of difference when you're basically guessing at what a good end weight would be coming from a point of being severely overweight. Aiming for the top of the healthy weight range is a fairly conservative approach.
  • hopeandtheabsurd
    hopeandtheabsurd Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Most people are really bad at visualizing what 50 pounds lost would actually look like on someone.

That being said, there is no reason to go into that much detail. If someone says to me "yeah, I have another 50 pounds to lose" there is really no other polite response than "no way do you need to lose that much!"
  • lizwrites1313
    lizwrites1313 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    It's your body and you know what's healthy for you. You're completely right.
  • verifiedvalerie
    verifiedvalerie Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    Who the hell tells you this? What a crock.

Prove 'em wrong girl!!!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Perhaps I read wrong, but how tall are you?
  • parfia
    parfia Posts: 184 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

@azulvioleta6 - I agree, I didn't want a cushy response, I wanted a reaffirmation of what I already know, that I've come a long way but that I've still got a long way to go :smile:
  • parfia
    Options
    Thank you for all the responses guys.

Just FYI, I don't go round shouting my goals to people but I was talking to family about a holiday that we're going on next year and said 'oh, by then I'll hopefully be near my goal weight". The holiday is in July next year and they said something along the lines of "you'll have got to it way before then" and then I just said that if I lose around 1 - 1.5lbs per week I'll just about get to it and from there, it was kind of implied that I wanted to lose around 4/5 stone.......hence, the lecture about being realistic and that that weight wouldn't look right etc, etc, etc - I don't go round like 'guess what guys, I'm going to lose 5 stone' lol!!

Oh, and I'm 5' 11 - 6 ft - I shrink and grow on different days :blush:
  • parfia
    edited February 2016
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    @yesimpson - Thank you. I love the 'with the greatest of respect' - I basically want the response of 'yes, you are fat enough to lose 4-5 stone'!!! haha

Thank you for the advice, I've just heard it so many times and each time its 'its a healthy BMI' and then you get the whole BMI's are rubbish response and its a spiral from there really!!

Yes you're fat enough to lose 4-5 stone :)

(So was I and nobody would believe it either)

@rabbitjb :smile: Thank you * I think * haha
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options

You do have a good shape and nothing looks out of proportion, but yes, you should lose the weight you are trying to lose. Either people are trying to be polite and make sure you understand you do not look ugly, or their perception of what is normal is very biased. I have no idea if you should set as goal 190 or 180 or 160, but you will have to get there and see. Aiming for a healthy BMI sounds like a very reasonable plan.