Serving Sizes for Fruit and Vegetables

Replies

• ChristieisReady
    ChristieisReady Posts: 708 Member
    kimny72 wrote: »
    OP, just for future reference, when you post something on a public forum, anyone can comment on it, for any reason. And they will. Sometimes because they want to add more info for newbie lurkers who are still finding their way, sometimes because they have an agenda they are quick to inject, sometimes because they misunderstood your point. And sometimes random internet people are just jerks. It happens in every public forum, that's kind of how internet forums work, for better or worse. Your best bet is to ignore the replies that you don't think apply, have a conversation with the ones that do, and see if there is anything you can learn from the criticisms. If you ever do make a post that everyone agrees with, you should print it out and have it laminated and framed for posterity. But letting every reply that doesn't 100% agree with your OP get under your skin is a recipe for disaster, and a waste of time and energy.

You're right of course. I generally avoid the message boards for precisely this reason, and the person I'm most annoyed with is me, for continuing to comment back. I just get frustrated at people who cannot for the life of them understand that there is more than one way to eat healthily, lose weight, etc. And that being healthy does not need to be an exact science. And also that being a nitpicking so-and-so is annoying. I digress.

You are right. (But I stand by my request that they stick an apple in it).
  • ChristieisReady
    We're on page 3, but I didn't want the point of the post to get lost. It isn't actually apples.

Since I'm always wondering what a "serving size" of a vegetable actually is, I went and looked it up. And made a chart. And am sharing it here. Obviously, a serving size of apple is 1 apple, but what about apricots (it's 3). If you're ever in doubt, it looks like "1 cup" is a good rule of thumb, but here's the exact servings and their calorie contents. (Ok, not EXACT. Just, you know, more accurate.)

**note: this is for RAW produce unless otherwise noted, in which case it's STEAMED. Roasting, sauteeing, etc. add their own nutritional spin, so this is just the plants.8388jeabklei.jpg

• chastity0921
    chastity0921 Posts: 209 Member
    What are kiwiberries and where do you buy those?
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Actinidia_arguta

Not in my local grocery store. I'll look next time I go to the Chinese food mart (great variety and good buys on produce and fresh fish, dried shiitake, etc.).
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Yes, I think the cup and the general resistance to weighing is an American thing. (I'm European and a metric girl. lol) But the black/white thinking (either using scales, or not have OCD) is universal. I'm not being negative (or maybe I don't understand what being negative means), I just don't understand the usefulness - at least here, where most people (I think) weigh their food on a scale - in having defined exact portions that because of their nature never can get anywhere near anything exact. What is a medium apple? How can I determine that? And why is that meaningful? Do I refuse to eat big or large apples? What if I have five apricots, should I throw away two? Or do I work with percents of servings, like, ok, this apple is maybe about 1.27 of a serving, that means I have 1.73 left today?

Common sense is not so common...
    Anyway, interesting to see how differenently we all think, and how we express that, both muffled and exaggerated through writing. Sometimes we get angry, but that's part of the fun.
  • shinycrazy
    shinycrazy Posts: 1,081 Member
    ALSO, on precise measurements, do you weigh the core when you're done to see how much you didn't eat? Do you account for the caloric difference in core and seeds vs. flesh? Just how much time are you devoting to this exact study of how many kCals are entering your body?

When I'm at home and can do so, I do weight the core and adjust my calories. I've done it with steak too(fat trimmings).
  • ChristieisReady
    where most people (I think) weigh their food on a scale
    I don't think most of my FL does...
    What is a medium apple? And why is that meaningful? Do I refuse to eat big or large apples? What if I have five apricots, should I throw away two? Or do I work with percents of servings, like, ok, this apple is maybe about 1.27 of a serving, that means I have 1.73 left today?
    It's meaningful because I know I need at least 7 servings of produce a day, and if I ate a LARGE apple, I can go, "ok, that's one and a half, I need 5 and a half more produce servings today". If you're weighing food, yeah, it's more accurate. But I neither have nor want a food scale. So this was for me. And I thought "maybe someone else might find this helpful".

When clearly I *should* have remembered "20% of the ppl who frequent the message boards are *kitten*" (not necessarily directed at you).

Common sense is not so common...
    No kidding.
  • ChristieisReady

They're mini, hairless kiwis that you can eat like a berry. I get them from Sprouts Farmer's market. Not super common, but as I made this list for me, I added them on there.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    just weighing in here... hehe pun intended

I am one of those unicorns that does a blend. I weigh some stuff and guesstimate others.
    I have set my activity level to sedentary and I'm not sedentary, so I know I get some extra cals there.

I will grab a bag of gala apples and take one in my lunch every day. I pick "medium" apple and do not weigh because I figure some days they're tiny and some days they're bigger, and in the end it all works out.

I do weigh chicken and meats, because I am horribly bad at recognizing 85g or 3 oz, or what have you.

I weigh pastas because those buggers are high cals and low volume (in my mind).

I don't typically weigh cucumber because 100 grams is like 32 cals... so if I'm 80 grams or 120, the few cals don't make a difference to me.

So in my case, I've found and adopted what works for me, and as long as I can stay around maintenance (which is more tied to whether I can resist the chips and donuts, as opposed to the apple size), then I'll keep at it.

Thanks for sharing a method that works for you, I'm sure it will work for and help others too.
    And thanks also to those who do weigh, and who shared their reasons for doing so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJTBPdVpdMc
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    I'm a fairly well-educated woman, but as an American, I have no real frame of reference for "grams". Ounces, yes. Grams, no.

1 gram = about 2 paper clips

@juggernaut1974 Thanks to this statement right here... I have now been measuring my chicken in terms of paperclips. Truth. I had a bite left over (gristle) and I thought... hmmmm... I wonder how many paperclips that would weigh. :laugh:
  • unigirl143
    unigirl143 Posts: 126 Member
    Thanks for the chart it is a handy rule of thumb reference.
  • Tricia7188
    Tricia7188 Posts: 136 Member

I don't weigh my food. I do know what a cup looks like. You have a WHOLE DATABASE on here for food by the gram. This is a quick takeaway for me to know that I'm getting at least 7 servings of fruit and vegetables a day. I thought it might be useful to someone else.

I'm not saying this is all you need or that this tool is for everybody. I made it, it's useful to me, I'm sharing it.

If you're checking this out and pausing to say "I don't like what you've made here. It's accurate, but it's not exact and it's not what I want to use", well, this is why your friends don't like you.

This is so true!!! Especially for fruits and veggies! I can see why people are so strict about weighing in grams on fats and protein and even grains cause those cals add up so quick. But fruits and veggies aren't quite as bad.
    I reeeally agree about the " knowing what a cup is" I was just thinking this the other day, that I couldn't possibly eye ball 100g of carrots vs 100g of green beans. (I know that's why there's scales but of your out and about, etc) but I can eyeball a cup and if I'm a little over or under on a 30 cal cup of whatever veggie its not going to kill me one way or another.
    It's all about keeping this doable in the long term for me, and weighing exactly 150g of veggies is going to make that much harder than using a cup, again ONLY for veggies and certain fruits.

• itsmemaringle
    itsmemaringle Posts: 69 Member
    A portion is a handful- for example a handful of strawberries would be a portion.
    Dried fruit however is half a handful for a portion.
  • kate2004rock
    kate2004rock Posts: 223 Member
    I want to point out to some of those tit-for-tatters -- I don't think ANY of us got to be overweight by eating too many apples or 5 servings of carrots. So be nice!!

and @ChristieisReady - Thanks for the handy guide! (Who knew pears have so much sugar!!)
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Cups, LOL. I guess they were cool in the age of the covered wagon when the local tinsmith made them.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,889 Member
    Downwinds wrote: »
    I never understand what size a 'cup' is supposed to be. I weigh everything in grams, it's easier and more accurate.. Unless it's like a few lettuce leaves. Then it's so calorie-low that I just don't bother. But vague measurements just make me anxious as I'm never sure what they mean and how far out I am and how big a difference that makes in calories. I have to be accurate and weigh everything because it's the only way I can feel comfortable that I'm being accurate.

Yup, with cups I never knew how much I was supposed to mash food down (or not.) Now I don't have to stress about it. Or wash cups.
  • kshama2001
    You honestly can't look at an apple and say "that looks quite a bit larger than yesterday's apple, it must have proportionately more calories. I should probably consider it as a 'large' apple, which is about a serving and a half"?

ALSO, on precise measurements, do you weigh the core when you're done to see how much you didn't eat? Do you account for the caloric difference in core and seeds vs. flesh? Just how much time are you devoting to this exact study of how many kCals are entering your body?

I don't weigh the inedible part, as that is not included in the calorie counts. I got a scale Christmas 2014 and it is faster and more accurate than using cups. Plus, no washing of said cups.
  • kshama2001
    yarwell wrote: »
    The WHO's serving size for "five a day" policies is 80 grams isn't it ? That would make some apples almost two servings.
    Hence the caveat of "medium apple". Which is about 2 3/4" in diameter. Seriously, you guys. You are telling me that you believe that a person who cannot differentiate between a "small" and "medium" apple CAN look at it and go "well, that's about 80 grams"? Who are these savants and where do you find them?

I'm a fairly well-educated woman, but as an American, I have no real frame of reference for "grams". Ounces, yes. Grams, no.

I had no reference for grams either until I got a food scale and started using it.
  • irenehb
    irenehb Posts: 236 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    You honestly can't look at an apple and say "that looks quite a bit larger than yesterday's apple, it must have proportionately more calories. I should probably consider it as a 'large' apple, which is about a serving and a half"?

I don't weigh the inedible part, as that is not included in the calorie counts. I got a scale Christmas 2014 and it is faster and more accurate than using cups. Plus, no washing of said cups.

Exactly, why bother using cups when it is just as quick and a LOT more accurate to use scales.
    And as some one said earlier a serving size (especially when it is lower calorie vegetables, for me anyway) is what I want at the time. Some days, I want 2 mushrooms another time I may want 10. I weigh them and log it, easy!
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,978 Member
    I'm with the PP who said she was a unicorn - so am I.
    I weigh some things and guesstimate others, mainly fruit and vegetables.
    I can eyeball whole fruits and estimate if they are small, medium or large, so I don't weigh bananas or mandarines or kiwi fruit, the main 3 whole fruits I eat.
    Every banana is a small banana ( I buy small ones so they fit in my lunchbox) every mandarine is a medium mandarine- unless it is smaller then it is 3/4 of a medium mandarine etc.
    works for me - have maintained for 2 years doing this.