disney princess half 2017

Options
Hello my fellow MFPers :)
Today I did something I haven't done in YEARS. I went outside on a run. I ran a whole mile WITHOUT stopping, in 10 minutes (also, no cars pulled over to laugh at me!). Very, very proud of myself right now. I immediately texted my mom to tell her (she's huge on running and being fit) and she mentioned next february doing the disney princess half marathon together. I cannot believe I am actually considering it but I am.

I have a whole year to train. Even though I would consider myself a very beginner runner I think this might be something I am truly interested in trying. Has anyone here gone from couch to half marathon? How long did you train for? I googled it and I got very intimdated by the weeks where I have to go any more than like, 3 miles. Ahh, scary! But I also think that training will definitely keep me on track to lose weight. (Started in September at 241, currently 198, with my goal being somewhere in the 140's)

Thanks for any replies or advice on the subject!

Replies

• 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I went from non runner to a half marathon in just under 6 months. Currently training for a marathon which will be 1 year and 5 days after I started running.

Go slow. That's the number one piece of advice I can give. Both in the speed you run and amount of distance you add to your total.

A 10 minute mile seems too fast for a beginner. Make sure when you run that you run slow enough that you can still carry on a conversation, or sing a song, without running out of breath. It will be slower than you think. The reason this is recommended is that this is fast enough for your body to start adapting to the new activity, it will allow you to run farther (gaining more benefits) and there will be much less chance for injury. The effect of all this is that you will also start running faster.

If you get into running and start reading about tempo runs, intervals, and repeats, ignore it all. You need a solid based of slow, "conversational" speed running before even considering this. For my half marathon, 97% of my miles were at this slow pace and I was able to finish in under 2 hours. It's only now, training for a marathon, that I'm starting to incorporate any speed work.

You are kickin' *kitten* on that weight loss! Good luck on the running!
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    That's great motivation, what fun!
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    jmbrown090 wrote: »
    Hello my fellow MFPers :)
    Today I did something I haven't done in YEARS. I went outside on a run. I ran a whole mile WITHOUT stopping, in 10 minutes (also, no cars pulled over to laugh at me!). Very, very proud of myself right now. I immediately texted my mom to tell her (she's huge on running and being fit) and she mentioned next february doing the disney princess half marathon together. I cannot believe I am actually considering it but I am.

I have a whole year to train. Even though I would consider myself a very beginner runner I think this might be something I am truly interested in trying. Has anyone here gone from couch to half marathon? How long did you train for? I googled it and I got very intimdated by the weeks where I have to go any more than like, 3 miles. Ahh, scary! But I also think that training will definitely keep me on track to lose weight. (Started in September at 241, currently 198, with my goal being somewhere in the 140's)

Thanks for any replies or advice on the subject!

Can we be friends? Almost the same exact thing happened to me recently. My friend just asked me to run a half marathon with her next year, and I'm barely running over a mile at a time right now but I have decided to do it!
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Oh and our stats are similar!
    SW 251
    CW 161
    GW 140-ish
  • acheben
    acheben Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I'm running the Glass Slipper Challenge this weekend at Disney World! This will be my second Disney Princess Half Marathon weekend and I'm so excited.

I started running in October 2013 after never being a runner, ever. My advice would be to slowly work your way up to half marathon training. Go get fitted for some running shoes (you don't have to start with the super expensive ones) and then do a couch to 5k training program. After you finish that, transition to a 10k training plan. Signing up (and paying) for races really helped me keep up with my training.

Feel free to friend me and let me know if you have any questions!
  • jmbrown090
    jmbrown090 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Oh and our stats are similar!
    SW 251
    CW 161
    GW 140-ish

Yes please add me!! I'm on my phone and don't know how to do it from here lol :)
  • jmbrown090
    Options
    acheben wrote: »
    I'm running the Glass Slipper Challenge this weekend at Disney World! This will be my second Disney Princess Half Marathon weekend and I'm so excited.

I started running in October 2013 after never being a runner, ever. My advice would be to slowly work your way up to half marathon training. Go get fitted for some running shoes (you don't have to start with the super expensive ones) and then do a couch to 5k training program. After you finish that, transition to a 10k training plan. Signing up (and paying) for races really helped me keep up with my training.

Feel free to friend me and let me know if you have any questions!

My best friend ran it two years ago and she loved it!! She would do one with me next year but she's currently pregnant so wouldn't have time to train. Please add me, I'm on my phone and don't know how to do it from here lol
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    I'm jealous. I just got over my fear of the gym so I hope outside running is next when it's not as cold. I recently have been toying with the idea of running the Princess Marathon as well. I absolutely love Disney, and that would be so cool to do.
  • bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    Options
    I started running August 2015. I regularly run 20-22 km for my long Sunday run. While my first official half wasn't going to be til July, I just decided to enter one nearby in a couple weeks, which is the week before the next official run I have planned... Hmmm, I'm getting addicted.
    Good shoes are number one priority (I wear mizuno wave inspire 12). Good socks number 2 (I ran with cheap socks last week and still have the sores on my ankles to prove it).
    It's amazing how quickly your cardiovascular fitness can improve, and how previously seemingly impossible distances become perfectly possible. There's a lot of mental work with running too, if you can find that zen place, it can be a wonderful experience... But I never have a single run without moments of WHY AM I DOING THIS UGH. But then I get moments of 'this is the best I could go forever'
    And it burns an awesome number of calories. Just be careful with that logging, the runger is real! I could eat everything on Sunday afternoons...
  • jmbrown090
    Options
    Thank you for all the replies!! Run number two is in the books. :)

My running is definitely mental. I want to stop so bad but when I've finished I think "I could go more". Really need to work on that mentality.
  • NatashaLP2014
    NatashaLP2014 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I just finished the C25K program. I think I'm going to start a 10K training program next week. I really liked the gradual increase in running times and I second the really slow jogging! One day I'd love to visit Disney and take part in the half marathon, especially if I could work up to pushing my daughter in her wheel chair.

Feel free to add me and anyone else running too. We also have similar stats!

SW: 242
    CW: 209
    GW: 140ish
  • kbolton322
    kbolton322 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I just ran my first half marathon Jan 30th... and I am starting up my training for my first full marathon toight.. Im think my first full will be the first weekend of May...
    Friend me if you want to.. I love having running friends!!
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,711 Member
    Options
    Well, clearly I'm not a runner as I could not figure out what a thread about half of a Disney princess would be about. Makes sense now!

Congrats on your success so far! Lots of people started as you did so just keep with it, be consistent, but don't overdo it and risk an injury.
  • zgiarc
    zgiarc Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your success so far! I'm working my way into starting to run. I've just been walking so far my first 2 months to get to a more comfortable weight and to lessen the chance of injury. I hope to compete in a couple 5K's in late summer and early fall. The ultimate goal is to be able to complete a half marathon next year with the outside chance of a full marathon in 2 years. Have to have goals.
  • Rosyone
    Rosyone Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I went from couch to half marathon in about 10 months, and was 58 years old at the time. I wasn't fast (still not) but that was enough time to build up my endurance for long runs.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    It took me about a year to go from zero to half marathon.

I agree with @acheben to sign up for some 5ks and then 10ks in the meantime to keep yourself motivated.

I think the biggest risk is with the Disney races you have to sign up way ahead of time and book hotels etc. as needed so it's a pricey weekend. And what if in 3 months you decide you hate running? Or you get injured and then fall off the wagon with your training. However, the upside of Disney races is they tend to have really long course cut-offs so you could probably train yourself to walk/jog 13.1 miles a lot easier and quicker than to jog the whole thing. So I guess just try to be consistent about it, and don't be afraid to walk/jog if you need to to cover the distance.
  • jmbrown090
    Options
    I am for sure going slow to start with. I guess while I consider myself a beginner runner, I am not without experience as I played all sports in high school including cross country. However that was 8 years ago and have barely moved since those days. And the weekend shouldn't be too expensive for me as I only live 45 minutes from Disney so that's a nice perk for me!

I think I am going to find a 5k in a few months to sign up for and see how that goes. No need to rush into this decision. One day at a time right now.
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Disney races are the best! They're a bit pricey, but really can't be beat. Registration usually is 6-9 months or so out, so you'll have plenty of time to determine if it's something you want to do.

My one big criticism of runDisney events is that due to the course, there tends to be a bit of congestion in the first mile or two. But, I've found it's less frustrating knowing that. I've done several events both at Disneyland and WDW, so I wouldn't say it's enough to be a deal breaker!

Enjoy!
  • KRPolo
    KRPolo Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    jmbrown090, it looks like you've already gotten some great advise here. I started with Couch to 5k last year having not ran since high school (I just turned 41, so that had been a while!). I ran two 5ks after I finished the program and then moved on to the 5-10k app. I took a break over the fall and beginning of winter due to some personal challenges, but am now getting back to it. For motivation, I just signed up for the Broad Street Run in May, which is ten miles, and the Philadelphia Half marathon in Nov. For both races, I am fundraising for the American Cancer Society in memory of my mom who died after a fifteen year battle with breast cancer. This is keeping me motivated to stick with my training schedule. I ran four miles on the dreadmill this am and felt pretty good. I agree that so much of it is a mental game that you need to learn to conquer- some days, I spend the first two miles just talking myself out of calling it quits for the day. I can't wait until it warms up this weekend and I can get back outside!

Wouldn't it be cool if a bunch of us trained and ran the Disney half next year together? If anyone is interested, friend me and we will keep in touch and train together! My stats are: 5'10", SW 252, CW 225, GW 180 to start then we will see!
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    That's a great goal. It's entirely possible for you to reach.

Do it.