Pre Workout meal/snack ideas.

Options
Hi,

I'm looking for some pre workout meals and is there a ratio of carb to fat to protein I should consider?

Thanks.

Replies

• alismommy1992
    alismommy1992 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I eat half a cup of oatmeal i boil it in cinnamon tea and vanilla extract and i add honey ...or a banana is also good
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    I eat after my workouts.
  • truelight_photo_craig
    Options
    I usually eat half of a banana, or a tablespoon of peanut butter. Sometimes both if my blood sugar is a bit low before a workout.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    I usually have a scoop and a half of protein in iced coffee pre-workout and a scoop of protein and a banana post-workout.
  • foiensoi
    foiensoi Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I have low GI carbs and protein beforehand eg Salmon, Sweet Potato and vegetables or Oats made with water and then I add whey powder. After a workout you can have a simple sugar (high GI) with protein, to restore your glycogen and to help your muscles recover. I have a bowl of sugary breakfast cereal with a small bit of milk and some protein powder. Some people have a protein shake, that's fine too.
  • shaddowstorm
    shaddowstorm Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I thought peanut butter sandwich using 1 slice of wholemeal/multi grain bread. not sure this would be alright to have.
  • kate2004rock
    kate2004rock Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I'm looking for some pre workout meals and is there a ratio of carb to fat to protein I should consider?

Thanks.

Just stay away from dairy. Stomach ache waiting to happen.

(And I've learned this the hard way - sometime's there's only yogurt left in the lunch bag before you hit the gym...)
  • tkillion810
    tkillion810 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    It depends. I know - not the answer you want. How much time between the snack/preworkout and the actual workout? What type of activity? I'm an endurance runner and cannot take in a lot of liquid or high fiber before my run, so I will tend to grab a medjool date and add a small touch of almond butter to it. If I'm heading to crossfit I might have a small piece of fruit and a few almonds or a few slices of turkey and avocado slices.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Anything.

It's down to personal preference.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    My pre workout is coffee and cream.
  • GymRatSF
    GymRatSF Posts: 8,903 Member
    Options
    For me it's a protein shake because I find I end up with stomach issues if I have actual food.