How many calories do you burn on the treadmill?

Options
I usually always start off with walking/jogging on the treadmill before starting my workout and just wanted to get an idea of how many calories other people burn on the treadmill and for how long you're on?

Replies

• jonathanbcase
    jonathanbcase Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Depending on whether I'm using the treadmill at my office or in a hotel when I'm on the road, I average between 800-900 calories per hour. My typical settings are up to 4 MPH, 8-degree incline, alternating down to 3.7 MPH and 10-degree incline. I'm an older guy and my heart rate typically stays between 125-135 at maximum effort. Hope this information helps.
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I jog at 5.5mph for 30 out of 45 minutes. The rest is spent walking at 3.5mph. At 250lbs, the treadmill will say I burned about 650 calories, but I equate that to between 450-500 as that's what most sites range between for my height, weight, and exercise time.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Really depends on your fitness levels and stats.

For example, I'm 135 lbs, 5'2 and working on the c25k program which alternates walking/jogging. I'm on week 3. I burn 125 calories in 30 minutes.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    In 30 minutes of running (intervals between 6.0-8.0 with varied inclines), I burn around 180-200 calories according to my HRM.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    There really is not a way for one's calorie burn to mimic any one else's.

My rough estimate for me each time I get on it, is can I burn at least 10 calories a minute? Sometime yes and sometime no, depends on sleep, nutrition the day before, being a female and female stuff going on, mood, heart rate, effort, intensity, etc...

• Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    When I was training for a backpacking trip I started using the treadmill at the highest incline I could get: 15%. I now do that as a regular exercise. At 3.0 MPH and 15% grade at my weight I get about 10 kcal/min net burn. Sometimes I go for 10 minutes, sometimes I go for an hour. I'm not sure if 100-600 is a useful answer!
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »
    When I was training for a backpacking trip I started using the treadmill at the highest incline I could get: 15%. I now do that as a regular exercise. At 3.0 MPH and 15% grade at my weight I get about 10 kcal/min net burn. Sometimes I go for 10 minutes, sometimes I go for an hour. I'm not sure if 100-600 is a useful answer!

This.

I sometimes walk half a mile (20 minute miles) in a block, or I might run (11 minute miles) for up to 5 hours (marathon training.) That's anywhere from 50 calories to 2500 calories.
  • Josh_lol
    Josh_lol Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    22, male, 230lbs. I usually run at 6.5mph for 30 mins and then walk at 3mph for like 5 mins to cool down. The machine estimates about 400 kcals burnt. Whether or not that's accurate I have no idea.