Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

are carbs really the enmy

Options

Replies

• tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    Do these guys look like your enemies?
    introBen.png
    PJ-BG232_FIXDEC_DV_20120328174202.jpg

Now the guys on protein shakes, they look more like your enemies, they even say combat:
    musclepharm-combat-protein.jpg
    Clearly protein is the enemy. >:)

@senecarr You forgot one. :)

l5at63lkua84.jpg

No, she's not just carbs, she's sugar syrup, and sugar definitely is the debil.

Well played, sir. Well played.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    introBen.png

Now the guys on protein shakes, they look more like your enemies, they even say combat:

l5at63lkua84.jpg

Fake maple syrup is the debil
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    furylabs wrote: »
    I believe it is the quality of the carbs that matter. You always want to choose the healthy carbs and you want to have them earlier in the day.

However, I do know that some people opt to start their diet/workout plan by completely eliminating carbs or at least having very very little carbs. Seems to help some people. I believe that has to do with wanting to see a quick visual change (someone please correct me if I am wrong). Lack of carbs can really sap your energy.

Hope that helps!
    Carbs are basically broken down to sugar then converted into glucose and glycogen for the body to use. You have simple and complex carbs and the main difference is going to be the absorption time usually due to fiber content. The body doesn't distinguish "good" from "bad" carbs (there really isn't such a thing). It just breaks down to simplest form and is absorbed.
    A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

This isn't exactly correct. Not all carbs are broken down and converted to glucose/glycogen. These carbs that we can eat without absorbing them not only provide zero calories but some have proven health benefits and help to keep us regular. IMO these are the 'good carbs'.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    I believe it is the quality of the carbs that matter. You always want to choose the healthy carbs and you want to have them earlier in the day.

However, I do know that some people opt to start their diet/workout plan by completely eliminating carbs or at least having very very little carbs. Seems to help some people. I believe that has to do with wanting to see a quick visual change (someone please correct me if I am wrong). Lack of carbs can really sap your energy.

Hope that helps!
    Carbs are basically broken down to sugar then converted into glucose and glycogen for the body to use. You have simple and complex carbs and the main difference is going to be the absorption time usually due to fiber content. The body doesn't distinguish "good" from "bad" carbs (there really isn't such a thing). It just breaks down to simplest form and is absorbed.
    IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

This isn't exactly correct. Not all carbs are broken down and converted to glucose/glycogen. These carbs that we can eat without absorbing them not only provide zero calories but some have proven health benefits and help to keep us regular. IMO these are the 'good carbs'.

Actually, those good carbs are probably, in a sense, worse than "bad carbs". Pure sugar is going to be a problem to overeat, but I imagine you could eat a lot more of that on a per gram basis than you could fiber. Enough fiber and eventually you'll cause intestinal distress, distention, and possible perforation.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

Hope that helps!
    IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Actually, those good carbs are probably, in a sense, worse than "bad carbs". Pure sugar is going to be a problem to overeat, but I imagine you could eat a lot more of that on a per gram basis than you could fiber. Enough fiber and eventually you'll cause intestinal distress, distention, and possible perforation.

It depends on the type of fiber and I would imagine that's very rare. We aren't really going to label 'good' and 'bad' as too much = bad, are we? If so, I imagine we could just toss 'good' in the trash bin.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    exum235 wrote: »
    I think not its the bodys fuel source

It's one of the body's fuel sources. You can store a lot more fat than carbs which will keep you alive for months rather than hours.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    introBen.png

l5at63lkua84.jpg

Fake maple syrup is the debil

This has actually been scientifically proven. The rats ran away in terror.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Carbs are the current enemy (who knows what will be the next). If all nutrients and food ingredients co-existed peacefully, how else would nutrition books sell and articles attract readers? Nutritional kumbaya is boring and scapegoating is profitable. There will always be an enemy.

Beyond personal preferences and circumstances carbs are no more an enemy than gluten is.
  • lemurcat12
    edited February 2016
    Options

Hope that helps!
    IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Those are some of the good carbs when eaten in a package with other things or when medically called for. On the other hand, I don't think Metamucil is particularly "a good carb" (as in let's avoid sweet potatoes and eat fiber supplements instead, yum, yum) or the carbs in vegetables or whole grains or fruits and veg or potatoes, among other foods, are not "good carbs" merely because they have calories. In fact, on the whole calories are an important part of why we eat food, so I say they are good.
  • niamibunni
    niamibunni Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    We all know what opinions are like. :blush:
  • Spotted_Paws
    Spotted_Paws Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've noticed they are for me. At least with my body, not all calories are created equal. When I go keto, I lose a ton of weight, very quickly, and feel much more energetic.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    projectsix wrote: »
    Yes, they'll make you fat. Don't eat any of them.

This is the debate forum, which in theory means that opinions are supported with actual reasoning. Care to provide any?
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Yes, they'll make you fat. Don't eat any of them.

This is the debate forum, which in theory means that opinions are supported with actual reasoning. Care to provide any?

No.

Not shocking.

Carbs aren't the enemy, the devil nor the most blessed thing ever to grace the planet. They're a macro nutrient. They're just food; they aren't good or bad. People need to find the right level that helps them reach their goals, and I'd bet a lot of people find carbs to be the least important macro (in that a lot of people will get a minimum protein and fat goal and then "let the chips fall where they lay" for carbs). Some people like high carb, others like low carb, but it's mostly personal preference for what works for them.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    I've noticed they are for me. At least with my body, not all calories are created equal. When I go keto, I lose a ton of weight, very quickly, and feel much more energetic.

Is losing a ton of weight very quickly desirable? Or sustainable (sounds like you've done it more than once)?
  • NEOHgirl
    NEOHgirl Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I am seeing a dietician, and I've lowered my carb targets due to a recent diagnosis of insulin resistance. She told me to not go below 140g of carbs a day, because that is the minimum for full body functionality. I make sure to get the majority of my carbs from fruits, vegetables, and whole grains. Beyond that, and meeting my 140g per day, I don't worry about it, and the occasional white bread at a restaurant or baked good isn't a problem either.
  • williamrobarge
    williamrobarge Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    This is a very interesting conversation/topic. We recently went low carb and while it is a challenge we are seeing some benefits to it. Along with weight loss we are eating less because we are satisfied longer. Cutting out breads and pastas along with sugars also helps prevent a lot of unhealthy snacking. We haven't cut out beer yet but that is coming soon to see what kind of impact we have.

From an energy standpoint the first two weeks were rough, but once my body got used to finding other fuel sources (fat) my energy level has come back and seems to be even better. The gym is our next step to helping with a complete life change.

Everything in moderation is exactly right as everyone has stated. We choose to stay away from "white" foods in hopes of eating healthier. I am going to stay going low carb because I do need to lose a ton of weight, but also feel it is a lifestyle change we can stick with. And once we are on maintenance we can indulge in the occasional carb loading day of tasty pasta.

Cheers everyone!
  • runsonrabbitfood
    runsonrabbitfood Posts: 89 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    This is a very interesting conversation/topic. We recently went low carb and while it is a challenge we are seeing some benefits to it. Along with weight loss we are eating less because we are satisfied longer. Cutting out breads and pastas along with sugars also helps prevent a lot of unhealthy snacking. We haven't cut out beer yet but that is coming soon to see what kind of impact we have.

From an energy standpoint the first two weeks were rough, but once my body got used to finding other fuel sources (fat) my energy level has come back and seems to be even better. The gym is our next step to helping with a complete life change.

Everything in moderation is exactly right as everyone has stated. We choose to stay away from "white" foods in hopes of eating healthier. I am going to stay going low carb because I do need to lose a ton of weight, but also feel it is a lifestyle change we can stick with. And once we are on maintenance we can indulge in the occasional carb loading day of tasty pasta.

Cheers everyone!

But carbs do not only encompass breads, pastas, and sugars. I feel like this mindset is way too prevalent in today's dieter. White sugar and processed bread is easy to overeat calories on. Whole-food carb sources (potatoes, rice, quinoa, legumes, etc) are a different story. Cutting out white sugars and breads isn't a bad thing, but just because the processed side of carbs don't work the best in your diet doesn't mean going low-carb and cutting whole-food carb sources out along with them is the answer.
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    No. I live on em. More the better.
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    The title of this thread gave me the name of my new boi band:

R Carbs Da NME

or

KarBz8ntDaNME
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options

Hope that helps!
    IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

It depends on the type of fiber and I would imagine that's very rare. We aren't really going to label 'good' and 'bad' as too much = bad, are we? If so, I imagine we could just toss 'good' in the trash bin.

I do toss good and bad into the trash bin when it comes to health and nutrition. I can't navigate on a map by saying I have to move in good or bad directions, rather I have to say this way gets me nearer or closer to my destination and I can only say that knowing where I am.
This discussion has been closed.