The number one killer of ALL diets - Complacency

Options
I've lost motivation. I'm not talking about the motivation to stay fit or watch what I eat...I'm still doing that. I'm talking about that "little" extra that pushes you to continue to lose weight. I've lost 76 pounds since last April and my goal was to lose 100 pounds in a year, but I've gotten to the point where I'm feeling that's good enough. Sure I'd still like to lose another 30 pounds at least but at this point those are just vanity pounds. I feel fine with how my clothes are fitting and I'm a lot more active then I've been in the last 15 years. I'm 45 years old and I'm never been one to obsess with appearance anyways. I've just been stagnating over the last two months. By absolutely NO means do I think I'm on a plateau. I haven't been weighing my food diligently but I tend to eat a lot of the same foods and I know exactly how to keep track of my calories without a scale.
I still weigh myself everyday and over the last 9 months I've trained myself how to eat proper size meals so there is No risk of gaining the weight back. I'm just finding it hard to get back that drive to start losing again. Has anyone else reached the point where you feel fine with where you're at even though you didn't reach your ultimate goal? Did you stop or keep going? I want to keep going or do I? I'm a firm believer that you'll finally lose weight when you really want to. I'm not sure I really want to at this point. Which kind of sucks. It's a very fine line of losing weight or maintaining and I'm pretty much just standing there on that line. I need a push.

Replies

• jeepinshawn
    jeepinshawn Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Bshmerlie wrote: »
    I've lost motivation. I'm not talking about the motivation to stay fit or watch what I eat...I'm still doing that. I'm talking about that "little" extra that pushes you to continue to lose weight. I've lost 76 pounds since last April and my goal was to lose 100 pounds in a year, but I've gotten to the point where I'm feeling that's good enough. Sure I'd still like to lose another 30 pounds at least but at this point those are just vanity pounds. I feel fine with how my clothes are fitting and I'm a lot more active then I've been in the last 15 years. I'm 45 years old and I'm never been one to obsess with appearance anyways. I've just been stagnating over the last two months. By absolutely NO means do I think I'm on a plateau. I haven't been weighing my food diligently but I tend to eat a lot of the same foods and I know exactly how to keep track of my calories without a scale.
    I still weigh myself everyday and over the last 9 months I've trained myself how to eat proper size meals so there is No risk of gaining the weight back. I'm just finding it hard to get back that drive to start losing again. Has anyone else reached the point where you feel fine with where you're at even though you didn't reach your ultimate goal? Did you stop or keep going? I want to keep going or do I? I'm a firm believer that you'll finally lose weight when you really want to. I'm not sure I really want to at this point. Which kind of sucks. It's a very fine line of losing weight or maintaining and I'm pretty much just standing there on that line. I need a push.

It is a life long journey, feel free to pause and go onto maintenance. Losing 70lbs is no small feat, but you are pretty close to your goal, if it were me I'd gut it out and try to reach the goal.
  • tiffkittyw
    tiffkittyw Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Try booking a vacation for motivation. My husband told me this weekend he likes how I look at my current weight (5'4" 131 lbs) I can barely squeeze into a pair of size 8 jeans (still a little tight for all day wear). I think that at first like you I thought I'm good, I can eat more. This week I've already logged a daily average of 1,600 calories a day when my TDEE is only 1,800-2,000 a day. I then decided to book a trip to Mexico for our anniversary. Thinking about wearing a bathing suit every day should be enough to motivate me to stay with reaching my goal weight.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    Options
    This is the third time I've hit the point where I want to lose 30 more pounds. The other two times I maintained for a while and bounced back up. However, I stopped logging and weighing regularly. Am interested to see what others have to say on this topic.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    I lost 50+ pounds a couple of years ago, then got tired of weighing myself and recording my foods. Some of it crept back on, but I was happy that I had internalized new behaviors that kept me pretty much on a plateau for 2+ years though I hadn't lost everything I wanted to.

Last summer, I decided to complete the process, but since then I'm recording everything without fail, and I plan to do something I've never done before: gradually up the calories when I go into maintenance until I reach a maintenance weight, and continue logging everything until it becomes second nature (or for the rest of my life, whichever comes first). I might be one of those people who need to be eternally vigilant -- and I'm OK with that.
  • Shanel0916
    Shanel0916 Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I completely understand OP I lost about 22lbs between Sept. and Dec 2015 and now I'm just here trying to find the feeling of motivation to lose the other 9 pounds and reach goal. I'm not satisfied with my body completely though but some of the things may never change even with weight loss unfortunately, I am satisfied with my size in clothing though.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind, I've never been clinically overweight and I'm short. So my perspective is skewed.

30 lbs seems like an awful lot to keep in vanity weight (unless goal is borderline underweight). I lost about 25 lbs to get slightly below mid-BMI and it made a world of difference to the way I feel. I would not want to carry more than that as extra weight if I knew that all I lacked was a little extra discipline.

That said, after losing steadily for a long time, I'm all in favor of taking a break if you feel it would help. I just would not do it thinking 'this is it, I'm done'.
  • missblondi2u
    missblondi2u Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    I've had similar thoughts, so I understand. I've lost 50 of the 75 pounds I set out to lose, and I feel great. I no longer have the kind of urgency to lose weight that I felt when I started, so I've definitely let things slip a little with weighing/logging. I'm still eating at a deficit most of the time because I'm still losing, but I'm just not putting in that extra effort so much these days.

I'm not at the point where I want to stop yet, but I'm starting to feel that not getting all the way down to my "goal" might not be a terrible thing. I've realized that I'm very comfortable with 1500-1800 calories a day, so I think I may just lose to the point where my maintenance is within that range.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    Our goal weights are rather arbitrary. I think it's fine to say "I like where I am now"
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    ive lost 80. have 30 more to go.

im much more relaxed now than i was. im (generally) happy with how i look, even though these last 30 are far from 'vanity' pounds lol

if i only lose a pound or two a month.... im okay with that. its not a race. im much more interested in living life, and having a good time and being HAPPY than obsessing with a number ;)
  • Rachel0778
    Rachel0778 Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    tomteboda wrote: »
    Our goal weights are rather arbitrary. I think it's fine to say "I like where I am now"

+1. Nothing wrong with revisiting your lower goal weight at a later date if your opinion changes.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Bshmerlie wrote: »
    I'm just finding it hard to get back that drive to start losing again. Has anyone else reached the point where you feel fine with where you're at even though you didn't reach your ultimate goal? Did you stop or keep going? I want to keep going or do I? I'm a firm believer that you'll finally lose weight when you really want to.

Good topic.

I had this same experience last year. My original goal was 120, which I adjusted to 118 due to BF% estimates, but once I got down to 125 (or bouncing between 125 and 130) I stopped caring so much. I fit into my smallest clothes from when I was 120 before, and just kept giving myself excuses to eat at maintenance. Finally I decided that pretending to keep a deficit and not was driving me crazy, and just doing maintenance for a while was a needed break (I was losing for 13 months, lost 95 lbs). So I did, and it's been a year, and I THINK I'm ready to start losing again, with that as a secondary goal to my fitness/training ones, however.

What worked for me was thinking that I'm not done, I haven't abandoned my goal, but I'm taking a break or focusing on something else for a while. Those other focuses were (1) see if I can maintain without logging (I pretty much can so long as I am mindful and keep weighing myself), (2) continue to try to get more fit through weights and exercise, even if not losing weight, and (3) set other goals.

I actually think this kind of approach may work better for me -- the idea that I'm always working on fitness in some way -- then the idea I was done that I had last time I lost lots of weight. (I did maintain for a while then too, about 5 years.)
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    It's fine to take a break, even a long term one. My only suggestion is to keep working on other fitness goals so you don't back slide a bunch.

I lost 52 lbs. in 2014, getting me 4 lbs. inside the healthy range for my height. In 2015 I bobbed up and down 5 lbs. or so, as I chose to focus more on strength but did a few short cuts when my weight went up a bit. At the end of 2015 I felt refreshed and ready to really finish off my weight loss so here I am in 2016, working down another 14 lbs.
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I've had similar thoughts, so I understand. I've lost 50 of the 75 pounds I set out to lose, and I feel great. I no longer have the kind of urgency to lose weight that I felt when I started, so I've definitely let things slip a little with weighing/logging.

Yes, this is pretty much where I'm at right now. Although I have absolutely NO worry about regaining the weight back because I never did anything drastic to lose the weight in the first place. Plus I still weigh myself everyday so there is no risk that it could secretly come back. I'm thinking maybe what TiffkittyW said about being in a bathing suit will bring back some motivation. I do have a couple of beach vacations planned for this summer plus a cruise so maybe that will give me a push. Or maybe as I get closer to my 1 year weight loss anniversary I'll get that competitive feel again.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    This is the third time I've hit the point where I want to lose 30 more pounds. The other two times I maintained for a while and bounced back up. However, I stopped logging and weighing regularly. Am interested to see what others have to say on this topic.

This is what worries me the most when I get to maintenance. I never made it to goal but lost weight and then got complacent. Sure I knew how to do everything. Stopped logging. Boom weight came back on. Not quick enough that I panicked and did something about it. Now I have to lose that weight all over again. Though I by no means find losing weight easy, I am very scared of maintenance or of the long term.
  • victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    I could've written this! I've lost 80 lbs and I'm five lbs past my original goal. I maintained for a couple months and decided I wasn't happy yet so now I'm 5 lbs away from my new goal but I reeeally struggle with caring! I'm still tracking and some days I'm out of calories and I'm like ehh I can eat a cookie. Or 3. I'm working out an hour every day and I know I've made changes in my body because of focusing on fitness but definitely lacking motivation for diet.

I have events coming up like being in my sisters wedding and Disney world that I try to use as motivation. I also joined some Facebook healthy eating challenges to keep me engaged.
  • lucyee
    lucyee Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    This definitely happened to me last year. I lost about 40lbs over six months, had 20lbs to go to get to GW and just kind of lost momentum. I was starting to feel mentally wearied from always considering every mouthful, and like I was sacrificing my life a bit by not going to the pub with friends, not wanting to go out for dinner very often etc... So I took a break for about six months, ate around maintainance, kept up exercising, and got my social life back a bit. After Christmas I finally felt ready to crack on and lose the last 20lbs (actually 10lbs now - 10 already lost :smile: ) and I'm feeling so much better and more motivated for taking the extended break!
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    I hit that point at 185lb with a goal of 175lb (started at 220lb, so 35lb at that point). I'm now 172lb and hitting that point again (my new goal is to get to solid 6-pack abs, which should be only a few lb away at this point).

Take a diet break for 1-2 weeks and then get back to it. A diet break gives you both a physiological and psychological break from dieting. This is a good read on it - http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/the-full-diet-break.html/ - they even found that with planned diet breaks that the dieters had no problem getting back on the diet.

Even then, when you do get back to it it doesn't have to be a race to the finish. My current "goal" is 1lb/week, but I typically average closer to 0.5-0.8lb/week which is fine by me at this point.
  • sanfromny
    sanfromny Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    On the head with this!! I started at 220lbs just wanting to be under 200, then under 190 so on and so forth. I actually got to 150 (had 15lbs to go to be in healthy range) then I just got complacent. Everyone kept telling me how good I looked and that was enough for me. But I put on almost 20lbs in less than 2 years so I'm back and although my first goal is to get back to 150 (11lbs to go now) My ultimate goal is to finally hit the healthy range. I plan to do that before the holidays hit again, hopefully wayyyyyy before that!
  • starwhisperer6
    starwhisperer6 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    In the last two weeks 4 or 5 people close to me have done then "ok that is enough don't loss anymore" thing and I let it worry me that I should stop. But I am 6 pounds away from my goal (which is still in healthy weight for my height not underweight) so I am reminding myself that they are just either not use to seeing me this weight, or they are jealous of my weight loss, so I am trying to make myself keep on pushing one. It does get hard to motivate when you are comfortable.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Certainly feel free to take a break or revisit at a later time or be happy with where you are. After losing 130 pounds I'm 20 from my goal. Weight loss is slower and I look so much better. I could "live with" how I look now. Then I see the remaining globs of fat and think I really would like to get rid of them if possible, so I'll keep going as long as I can.