Cutting bad foods

Options
So for the past 2weeks I have removed bread from my diet competely and have replace it with ryvitas. So far in 2 weeks I have lost 1.5 pounds with no exercise. Does anyone know any other foods you could remove out of your deit to help lose weight? :)

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Removing any food from your diet will help you lose weight if it helps you create a calorie deficit. You can include any food in your diet and lose weight as long as you're in a calorie deficit.

As far as what you can remove/reduce, this is very individual. If you look back over your journal, maybe try to identify the higher calorie foods in your day and see if they are worth it in terms of nutrition and taste. If not, have less of them.
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    If you are losing weight it's because you are in a calorie deficit. It's not really cutting bad foods over good. Certainly some foods are more healthy than others.. but you can eat crap food and lose weight if you are in a calorie deficit.

You would probably be better served to measure and track your calories and keep yourself in a deficit over the long haul.
  • echmain
    echmain Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Can I have your bread?
  • Equus5374
    Equus5374 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    echmain wrote: »
    Can I have your bread?

You beat me to it!
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Cows Milk, Soda pop, and Bread are the Biggest three. Bread is probably the worst because the bromide in it destroys your Thyroid. Great first step!! :)
  • Br3ntG
    Br3ntG Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    This approach might get you results but I don't think it's sustainable. Understanding the calorie value of food by tracking what you eat in MFP you will get an appreciation for calorie density and how much of something you can include in your diet. Bread is not inherently bad - but eating too much of it so as to go above your calorie goals, is.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    So for the past 2weeks I have removed bread from my diet competely and have replace it with ryvitas. So far in 2 weeks I have lost 1.5 pounds with no exercise. Does anyone know any other foods you could remove out of your deit to help lose weight? :)

Elimination is one approach for weight loss, but that leaves you without the tools needed for weight maintenance.

I don't remove anything. Not even chocolate. Now, because I log chocolate (almost everyday) I know how calorie dense it is. Serving sizes are really small.......good to know.
  • slimandsmiling
    slimandsmiling Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »

Elimination is one approach for weight loss, but that leaves you without the tools needed for weight maintenance.

I don't remove anything. Not even chocolate. Now, because I log chocolate (almost everyday) I know how calorie dense it is. Serving sizes are really small.......good to know.

I agree .. what I have realised is I easily got to goal but then couldn't seem to maintain it because I wasn't eating much of the foods I loved.. plus I was going to bed hungry nearly every night and finally got tired of that.. it is better to have a bit of what you like, log it and be mind full of what you are truly eating than to eat good calorie deficient foods but not be able to live like that forever. keep going.. I have had many a time when I felt frustrated with not losing quick enough etc etc but it will all come good with patience and truthful logging/eating xxx
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

Didn't you see Oprah's commercial you can have bread!!!! :)

Oprah said it so it must be true!!!
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    The only bad foods I avoid are spoiled meat and rotten vegetables and moldy cheese. Those foods are definitely bad.

Beyond that there are no bad foods. Only too much food. Eat bread. Just eat less bread.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I hadn't heard of Ryvitas so I looked them up and the ingredients are pretty similar to bread (its a cracker, basically). So clearly the key difference is you are eating fewer calories due to the substitution.

I agree with those who said look at your diary and see what high cal foods you can substitute without feeling like you are losing much or things you are eating without pleasure or mindlessly (or perhaps in excess). I don't care that much about rice or bread so I tended to cut those out when I was cutting calories (and I still rarely eat rice and am picky about bread), but only because for me they were foods I did not miss.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options

I stopped having wine, bread, and butter with pasta meals, not because I considered any of these to be "bad" but because I couldn't afford the calories.

I found eating less baked goods and upping fruit, protein, and fiber useful to eliminate cravings for sweets.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    The only thing I did was stop drinking calories, just not worth it IMO (except is the occasional protein shake or of course a margarita). Overall, I looked for more nutrient dense foods. I eat higher fiber breads and protein bagels. I eat bread and bagels almost every day. But I also try to focus on fruits, veggies, whole grains, dairy (mainly greek yogurt) and lean meats. But at the end of the day, if you aren't in a deficit, you aren't losing weight.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options

Why do you think Ryvitas are good and bread is bad?
    If Ryvitas help you eat less calories, this is how it works, not because it is a better food.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    faern wrote: »
    I cut out all processed carbs! I now only have rice. Also, for everyone commenting how bread is fine; it is if it's wholemeal/wholegrain, but your body doesn't know what to do with most breads. I've also cut out dairy products, and mostly substitute sweets for berries and banana nice cream. Psulemon is totally right, cutting out calories from drinks is the best step. Drinking tea, rather than coffee, has also cleared up my skin!
    Basically, if its processed, drunk, or oil/sugar/fat, don't eat it.
    Expect for wine..... wine doesn't count.

Why? What makes rice better than other carbs?
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    Also, for everyone commenting how bread is fine; it is if it's wholemeal/wholegrainbut your body doesn't know what to do with most breads.

Can you elaborate? My body digests it. How wouldn't it "know" what to do with it? I can see if you have celiac disease or are gluten intolerant you might have issues, but for someone who doesn't have issues with food, how would bread be a problem? And what makes whole grain bread different in terms of what our bodies do with it?
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    MommyL2015 wrote: »
    Also, for everyone commenting how bread is fine; it is if it's wholemeal/wholegrainbut your body doesn't know what to do with most breads.

Can you elaborate? My body digests it. How wouldn't it "know" what to do with it? I can see if you have celiac disease or are gluten intolerant you might have issues, but for someone who doesn't have issues with food, how would bread be a problem? And what makes whole grain bread different in terms of what our bodies do with it?
    Yeah this kind of nonsense just baffles me. It's just bread...
  • DoNotSpamMe73
    DoNotSpamMe73 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Anything that keeps your deficit and makes you feel good.
  • Pookylou
    Pookylou Posts: 988 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    The only bad foods I avoid are spoiled meat and rotten vegetables and moldy cheese. Those foods are definitely bad.

Beyond that there are no bad foods. Only too much food. Eat bread. Just eat less bread.

Nonsense! Moldy cheese can be yummy :p I eat all the foods, I just log them!