Venuto Burn The Fat Question

Options
Hi,

I'm trying to break a plateau and am reading Venuto's Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle. Once I put in all of my stats, including moderately active and multiplying by 1.55 for moderately active (doing ChaLean Extreme combined with a little running or TurboFire now), I get 2375 as maintenance calories. If I multiply that by the .20 for a loss, I get 1900 calories.

My question is does that 1900 include exercise calories or should I aim for 1900 net cals?

Replies

• Driagnor
    Driagnor Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    That would be total calories consumed for the day. I'm also following the same principle from that book, and eating 30% below my TDEE, with every fourth day at 10% below TDEE, but not eating back any exercise calories (unless I burn more than 1000 or so - then I'll eat some of them back if hungry), and it's working really well for me.

Just a question - are you using the formula in there than makes use of the lean body mass, or the previous one that uses age height and weight? If you use the one that doesn't include your LBM, it can overcalculate your maintenance calories by quite a big amount if you have a lot to lose. I think mine was about 300 calories more than my actual BMR.

Also quite a nice article on plateaus by Tom Venuto at http://www.burnthefatblog.com/archives/2011/01/unexplainable-fat-loss-plateaus-explained.php

Hope this helps :)
  • ccbloom1
    ccbloom1 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the response! I'm using the calculation that includes LBM; however, I have a good 40 more pounds to lose.

Driagnor - what are your stats and how many calories does it have you consuming?

Just for reference, I'm 160cm and 83.9kg.
  • Driagnor
    Driagnor Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I'm also 160cm, but I weigh 96.4kg as of today. I'm somewhere between lightly active and moderately active. Probably closer to moderately I guess - I have a desk job, but do 3 x strength training and 3 x cardio per week - but have set myself on lightly to be on the safe side.

My TDEE is 2400 calories, so I'm on 1700 each day, with every fourth day on 2100.

I hovered around the same weight for about 2 1/2 weeks before I decided to switch to not eating back the exercise calories and upping my daily calorie intake (MFP was suggesting just over 1500 per day for me), and since then my weight loss started up again.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    My question is does that 1900 include exercise calories or should I aim for 1900 net cals?

The 1,900 includes exercise calories.

In other words, just eat that amount a day as exercise has been accounted for in the calculations.

ETA: as has been stated before. Guess I should have read the responses before answering ;)
  • ccbloom1
    Options

The 1,900 includes exercise calories.

In other words, just eat that amount a day as exercise has been accounted for in the calculations.

ETA: as has been stated before. Guess I should have read the responses before answering ;)

No problem...thanks for your response :)
  • ccbloom1
    Options
    I'm also 160cm, but I weigh 96.4kg as of today. I'm somewhere between lightly active and moderately active. Probably closer to moderately I guess - I have a desk job, but do 3 x strength training and 3 x cardio per week - but have set myself on lightly to be on the safe side.

My TDEE is 2400 calories, so I'm on 1700 each day, with every fourth day on 2100.

I hovered around the same weight for about 2 1/2 weeks before I decided to switch to not eating back the exercise calories and upping my daily calorie intake (MFP was suggesting just over 1500 per day for me), and since then my weight loss started up again.

Great info, thank you! I have a sedentary desk job, but I'm a WAHM, so I'm up and down from my desk tending to a little one a lot. I also workout 6x wk with cardio and strength burning about 300-600 depending on the day. I just hate to overshoot my burn and use the incorrect activity level since it feels like I've wasted the last 4+ weeks without a loss!