Am I eating too little?

Options
Hey everyone! This is my first post,
I'm two weeks in. Woo! I'm 18, 5'3 and 138 pounds.
For these past two weeks, I've been eating between 1200-1300 calories and burning about 400-500 a day. I don't eat more than 100 of my exercise calories back.
Is this healthy? Should I be eating more? Thanks :)

Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    What steps are you taking to ensure you're accurately counting caloric intake and exercise burns?

If they're 100% accurate, you're likely eating too little to provide sufficient nutrition.

• aeparadiso2
    aeparadiso2 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    What steps are you taking to ensure you're accurately counting caloric intake and exercise burns?

If they're 100% accurate, you're likely eating too little to provide sufficient nutrition.

I weigh and measure my food pretty meticulously. I use the calorie amount shown on my treadmill and the amount given for Pilates on MFP. I'm scared to eat them back because I've read that these are probably not accurate. But I don't know how else to figure out how many calories I burn.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options

I weigh and measure my food pretty meticulously. I use the calorie amount shown on my treadmill and the amount given for Pilates on MFP. I'm scared to eat them back because I've read that these are probably not accurate. But I don't know how else to figure out how many calories I burn.

Yeah I agree machines and MFP are not terribly accurate with calorie burns.

I generally suggest picking a reasonable percentage of the calculated burns (say 50% or 75%) and eat that many back for a few weeks. After that time, compare your progress with your expected results. If you're losing significantly more slowly or significantly faster than the numbers suggest you should be, tweak the percentage until you find the 'sweet spot'.
  • aeparadiso2
    Options

Yeah I agree machines and MFP are not terribly accurate with calorie burns.

I generally suggest picking a reasonable percentage of the calculated burns (say 50% or 75%) and eat that many back for a few weeks. After that time, compare your progress with your expected results. If you're losing significantly more slowly or significantly faster than the numbers suggest you should be, tweak the percentage until you find the 'sweet spot'.

I will try that! Thank you for the advice :)
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Wow, that video was gone quick.

Great advice above.
  • amandabarnhill581
    Options
    I'm also having a difficult time figuring out the calorie count. I log everything I eat and the amount of exercise I do each day and at the end of the day I have 1200-1300 calories left. Since going back to the gym and changing my diet starting last week, I haven't noticed any significant weight loss, just about 2 lbs so far. I don't feel sick or weak and I always eat when I'm hungry. My calories start of with 1200 each day fyi.
  • billvau
    billvau Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi aeparadiso2, You need to first find your BMR - basal (basic) metabolic rate. There are scales that can measure that. I have a Tanita scale and measured my weight/BMR every night before bed for seven days and averaged. You're too dehydrated first thing in the morning, so last thing at night is better. BMR is what you burn in calories/day for your normal day BEFORE exercise. Then you add in exercise. MFP is TERRIBLE at estimating exercise calories, so use other sources for that - especially experts in your areas of exercise. Then, to lose weight you take (for your size) about 300 calories off your daily total. Eat healthy, balanced meals (carbs, protein AND fat!) but consistently eat about 300 calories less per day than your BMR+exercise tells you to eat. If you find 300 calories is too much (i.e. no energy or losing more than 2lbs/week), then try taking off only 200 calories per day. Also, drink LOTS of water and stay away from too much salt! Hope this helps - Bill
  • aeparadiso2
    Options
    billvau wrote: »
    Hi aeparadiso2, You need to first find your BMR - basal (basic) metabolic rate. There are scales that can measure that. I have a Tanita scale and measured my weight/BMR every night before bed for seven days and averaged. You're too dehydrated first thing in the morning, so last thing at night is better. BMR is what you burn in calories/day for your normal day BEFORE exercise. Then you add in exercise. MFP is TERRIBLE at estimating exercise calories, so use other sources for that - especially experts in your areas of exercise. Then, to lose weight you take (for your size) about 300 calories off your daily total. Eat healthy, balanced meals (carbs, protein AND fat!) but consistently eat about 300 calories less per day than your BMR+exercise tells you to eat. If you find 300 calories is too much (i.e. no energy or losing more than 2lbs/week), then try taking off only 200 calories per day. Also, drink LOTS of water and stay away from too much salt! Hope this helps - Bill

Thank you so much!
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options

@billvau - that is incorrect. BMR is what your body needs just to survive if you do nothing at all, like in a coma. On top of that we burn calories every day in our regular day to day life from sitting watching tv to walking to the car, preparing food, etc and then there is exercise on top of that. Depending on lifestyle it may not be a lot of extra calories.

You do not need a fancy scale to estimate BMR, online calculators are just as good. They are still estimates but for the majority of the population they are pretty good start.

MFP isn't terrible, but it it has it's limitations. The more specific an exercise - like walking at 3.0mph, the better an estimate it will be. Entries like "volleyball" are less accurate since it does not account for intensity. Even words like "leisurely" "vigorous effort" aren't as reliable because they can mean different things to different people.

A great blog explaining how these work
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/estimating-calories-activity-databases-198041
  • billvau
    Options
    Sorry, @3dogsrunning , can't agree. I've been using BMR (and others) with a professional, athletic, nutritionist for years. Works just fine. It's just a simple, sedentary, measure of your body's needs. I lost 70lbs, became a bike racer and finish top 5 - when my weight is down. BMR+cycling-500 leaves plenty of energy for hard training (10-15hours per week). Like I said, you ADD exercise to BMR. You would obviously add calories for hard labor (e.g. construction job), etc. BMR is just your BASIC rate, not like a coma - just the basic sedentary rate. You can find any internet opinion to support any position you want, but the proof is in the pudding and experts who work with hundreds of clients find out real quick what works and what doesnt. And, yes, MFP WAY overestimates cycling calories. I have four bikes with SRM power meters and know EXACTLY how many calories I burn on every ride. MFP is way off from actual. Look, we want people to lose weight, so honestly is more important than supporting MFP!
  • billvau
    Options
    @aeparadiso2 - Forgot to mention - After you pick your daily calorie needs (whatever method you choose), *IF* you don't start losing 1-2lbs per week, then you need to reduce your daily calories. It's that simple. And, if you're dropping over 1-2lbs per week, you need to add some calories. You'll lose water at first, so wait a couple of weeks to see if you need to adjust. Dieting leaves you hungry but not constantly exhausted, so don't overdo it! Good luck!
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    Sorry, @3dogsrunning , can't agree. I've been using BMR (and others) with a professional, athletic, nutritionist for years. Works just fine. It's just a simple, sedentary, measure of your body's needs. I lost 70lbs, became a bike racer and finish top 5 - when my weight is down. BMR+cycling-500 leaves plenty of energy for hard training (10-15hours per week). Like I said, you ADD exercise to BMR. You would obviously add calories for hard labor (e.g. construction job), etc. BMR is just your BASIC rate, not like a coma - just the basic sedentary rate. You can find any internet opinion to support any position you want, but the proof is in the pudding and experts who work with hundreds of clients find out real quick what works and what doesnt. And, yes, MFP WAY overestimates cycling calories. I have four bikes with SRM power meters and know EXACTLY how many calories I burn on every ride. MFP is way off from actual. Look, we want people to lose weight, so honestly is more important than supporting MFP!

@billvau - I am not saying your method won't work. You are creating a deficit. I am stating your definition of BMR is incorrect.

"Basal metabolic rate, or BMR, is the measurement of an organism's energy expenditure when at rest. In other words, when you're at rest, not digesting any food and at a comfortable temperature, BMR is the amount of energy it takes for your body to maintain life."

In addition to the calories you burn at rest, you burn additional calories in daily life, before exercise.

Did you read the link? You didn't specify cycling. You said all f MFPs estimates are off. I was trying to give the OP some information on what estimates might be more reliable.
    It doesn't say all of MFP's estimates are reliable. As noted - not all of the MFP entries are accurate.
    Cycling is one of the exercises where there are more factors to consider which is why a power meter is a better estimate. Speed alone does not dictate calorie burns.
    I started with MFP's numbers. I logged running, swimming and weight training and ate all of the calories back. I lost weight as I should.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    Just to add this - I'm on my phone so finding sources is a PITA

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/818082/exercise-calories-again-wtf/p1
  • bathmatt12345
    bathmatt12345 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    At 5.3/138 you are not obese by any stretch of the imagination, I would ease into this, I'd log what you are doing and try eating about 1/2 your cals back and see if you start to lose weight, you are close enough where 1lb/week is as fast as you should go, and probably 1/2 a lb/week.