Do your legs ever get so fatigued that your performance sucks?

Options
Francl27
Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
My exercise routine has pretty much been the following for a few months...

4 days stationary bike for 45-90 minutes (15mph)
2 days gym - 15/20 minutes of rowing, 20 minutes weights (I do upper body to give my legs a break), 60 minutes walking at a 11%+ incline, 3.3 mph (which is relatively fast for me, I'm 5'5")
I try to alternate as much as possible, and take a rest day once a week.

Unfortunately it's been pretty bad lately. My legs have just been so fatigued, I can feel them just going up the stairs, and it's a good day when I can reach 15mph on the bike again (usually hover around 14mph)... I used to do 15.7mph! I used to do 14% incline on the treadmill (was working up to 15%) but now my legs can typically not do more than 11%, and that's on a good day... I had to go down to 9% two days ago... and it was just after a rest day too...

I'm so bummed. I don't understand why this is happening. 2 years ago I was walking every day, sometimes 6 miles a day, and didn't even need rest days (granted, I wasn't walking at an incline, but still). Rest days seem to be doing absolutely nothing... I do take the time to stretch after workouts.

Does it happen to you and what do you do about it? I exercise quite a bit because I just get bored otherwise, and I like eating, so it pretty much works out. I don't do lower body strength because my legs already do a lot obviously, and I like the way they look anyway (and yeah I hate it, I just do it to get my upper body muscles working too).

I eat a ton of protein (I'm 135 lbs right now, rarely eat under 135g of protein). Tons of veggies, lots of water...

Help?

Replies

• Francl27
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    Listen to your body. Rest days are important. You will perform much better when you give your body time to heal itself.

It just doesn't seem to help. Heck I got two rest days last week, it didn't help either. Do I need to take a whole week off or something? Gosh. So annoying.
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,031 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Yes.

Typical symptom of overtraining. Every day has some training for your legs. 45-90 minutes of biking, 60 minutes of walking on an incline (A tough incline, at that), 15-20 minutes of rowing, etc etc.

Reduce the intensity of the walk (no, or little incline) would be a good start. Also, you're nailing 90 minutes a day at the gym, on average. This would be considered "advanced training schedule". I run daily, but only two days a week do I exercise for more than an hour (Long run days).
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    My routine is different to yours, but I do have days when my legs feel knackered. I suffer with anaemia so sometimes tiredness simply means I need to up my iron levels, or it can be because I've increased training volume or intensity and need a lighter day or two, or because I'm not eating enough. Sorting those issues out gets rid of the fatigue.

Sounds obvious, but I presume you don't feel like you're coming down with a bug or something, have been sleeping normally, etc? If it's persistent I'd be tempted to take a week off proper workouts and see if I feel better when I get back to it. Sometimes our minds get tired out and we blame our bodies.
  • ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I second upping your carbs for what that is worth. Or just dialing back the exercise.
    If you eat enough carbs (or if carbs are 30-to-60% of your diet) then your muscles will have enough energy to make you lift heavier weights, do more reps and sets to build muscle faster but…

If you don't eat enough carbs then you may not have the energy you need to workout with enough intensity to make your muscles bigger & stronger.
  • Francl27
    Options
    I eat a ton of meat, I doubt I have anemia? I used to have it but it was before losing weight and I wasn't eating anywhere as much meat as I do now. And my last two bloodworks have been fine. And no I've actually been sleeping great (7-8 hours a night) and I surprisingly haven't been sick in 3 weeks LOL.

I eat plenty of carbs too... I've been eating around 130g in the last week as it helps me with PMS, but typically I eat 200g or more.

So yeah I guess I just need to take it easier. Bleh...
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Just at the end of leg day! Hard to get in and out of the car!
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    It's not going to be this, but just in case, do take your pulse at rest and during exercise. The only time in recent years that I got weaker during exercise for no known reason was because of an autonomic glitch I got that has me taking beta blockers now. It came out of the blue, so that's the only reason I suggest doing some easy pulse checks for it (or other things that can cause exercise intolerance).

But it's probably something more training related :) If you feel it in your actual legs that does sound like the local muscles there, imho.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    Sounds like overtraining.

That being said, why upper body lifting only? Full body lifting would probably be great for you. I find squats make my legs stronger for running.

Or could you try swimming instead of something else?
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    4 days biking + 2 days of 11% fast inclined walking?

That right there is your problem.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    You don't necessarily need to take it easier but you do need to give your legs more recovery time - six days a week isn't going to be offset by one rest day.
    As an example I'm pushing my winter cycling training really hard at the moment but on alternate days.

Mix up the intensity rather than try to hit your maximum every day.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I think it is really common to get fatigued legs when you work them 6 days a week. And don't ignore the anemia suggestion. It is easy to get checked out and lots and lots of women are anemic, even red-meat eaters.
  • getsweaty123go
    getsweaty123go Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Magnesium/Potassium really helps with muscle fatigue & recovery & a good B12 complex will up your red blood cell count - and as someone above said: 6 days per week of working your legs will have an effect. Maybe try lowering your incline but to keep it challenging up your speed a little?
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    kristib12 wrote: »
    a good B12 complex will up your red blood cell count

Only if deficient in B12.. which the OP probably isn't since they eat a ton of meat.

OP - maybe you're not eating enough calories?
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »

Only if deficient in B12.. which the OP probably isn't since they eat a ton of meat.

Or carbs
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Maybe try upping your carbs to help with recovery.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options

Actually, the cell count is nice and high anyway with B12 deficiency anemia. It's just filled with duds ;)

But yeah, B12 won't help your blood any unless you really are deficient in it, which usually doesn't come from diet at all.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you have a bunch of issues going on ( see ops other threads ) and it may be worth talking to a doctor about.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Yes.

Typical symptom of overtraining. Every day has some training for your legs. 45-90 minutes of biking, 60 minutes of walking on an incline (A tough incline, at that), 15-20 minutes of rowing, etc etc.

Reduce the intensity of the walk (no, or little incline) would be a good start. Also, you're nailing 90 minutes a day at the gym, on average. This would be considered "advanced training schedule". I run daily, but only two days a week do I exercise for more than an hour (Long run days).

I agree with this. Plus, you recently posted a thread where you went lower carb during PMS. Does this correlate with that time period?

• zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    I was thinking about the sore legs thing. The only time I get sore legs is the day after leg day ? How heavy are you lifting ? Do you even lift at all or just do all that cardio?
  • getsweaty123go
    getsweaty123go Posts: 53 Member
    Options

Actually, the cell count is nice and high anyway with B12 deficiency anemia. It's just filled with duds ;)

But yeah, B12 won't help your blood any unless you really are deficient in it, which usually doesn't come from diet at all.

Ohh.. yes that is true it isn't usually about diet. I have always been anemic/borderline and find B12 really helps but then I have endometriosis. Definitely think the magnesium/potassium would help with muscle fatigue though, do you think?