Take THAT menopause! Bam! You got nothing on me...

Options
lohlgren
lohlgren Posts: 34 Member
The crowd jumps to it's feet, cheering. The roar is deafening! I bask in the glowing praise. I know I deserve this. Certainly, by now, I can accept it! I take a deep bow, smiling, remembering a time when I couldn't see my toes, let alone move without back pain. Someone yells, 'How did you do it?!' I say confidently, 'it's all about calories in, calories out...year after year after year.'

Excuse my exuberance, it's just that after a 65 lb. weight loss, (215 lbs. down to 150 lbs.) I have been on maintenance for 11 freakin' years! All that time, I had an internal light that went on if I gained more than 4 lbs. Hit it hard, log all your food and it will come back down. Every time. I wasn't on MFP during that time, I used the point system of WW which worked well for me. But in the past 6 months, the lbs have been creeping up and I could NOT get them off. I'm sure I had gotten sloppy in my interpretation of what I was eating. But I was beginning to believe that, at age 56, this was my fate. I was going to get the same 'thickening' at the waist and weight gain that I saw with so many women around my age, and my weight was no longer in my control.

I told my HIIT instructor, 'I work out too hard to be stuck at this weight (157). Yet, I don't think I'm eating enough.' I needed a change. She suggested MFP, introduced me to Macros, (Ma-wha??) TDEE, (not an alcoholic drink sadly) and to increase my protein (my goal is 112 grams-I'm thinking, 'Who the hell eats that much meat!'). In that moment, I made the switch. I'm 2 months in and just reached my first goal of 149lb. Just by trusting the program. I'm 5'7". My next goal will be to reach 145, but only if it happens by...calories in, calories out. So I may just celebrate by doing a few more burpees today. Cause I CAN. Take that, too, menopause. I win!

This was taken at around 155 lbs.
em5cx5jlkje4.jpeg

But this was me in my 30's, And yes, I'm 5'7". My family is freakishly tall
lgc33fwiu81x.jpeg

At 56, I'm healthiest and strongest I've ever been
mgozu14kjpmw.jpeg

Replies

• PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    Options
    BRAVO! BRAVO! You are fierce and beautiful!!!
  • surgerygeek
    surgerygeek Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    U are really amazing. Can I ask..what has been your motivation?
  • farmerpam1
    farmerpam1 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    You're rockin' it!!! Thanks for sharing, just what this old gal needed to see!!!!!
  • RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    I love your confidence. Great work and very inspirational to those of us not in our 30s any more :smiley:
  • Kamikazeflutterby
    Kamikazeflutterby Posts: 775 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I love your confidence. Great work and very inspirational to those of us not in our 30s any more :smiley:

Screw that, it's inspirational for those of us in our 30's too! ;)

ETA: Seriously nice job, OP.
  • Chargunshow
    Chargunshow Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Love love love this post! Congrats! You are a rock star and an inspiration.

It is so true that as we age, things that worked before...to lose weight, stay fit...stop working. It takes a lot of rethinking to get it under control.

I too am in the best shape of my life!
  • csillabrimer978
    csillabrimer978 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    You look great, if I will look like you at 56 I won't complain! You are an inspiration
  • lohlgren
    Options
    U are really amazing. Can I ask..what has been your motivation?

Good question and simply put-I didn't want to be fat anymore. Loosing weight is so incredibly empowering, it motivates me. Then it becomes not wanting to change clothes size. They become tight, I tighten up my calorie intake. Then it becomes about pain-ever since I started strengthening my body, I am 100% back pain free. Seriously, I had pain my whole adult life until I started running, then strength training. I deal with knee pain and some arthritis nowadays, but NOTHING sucked my soul like constant back pain. That is motivating to me. I also do well with rules. If I follow the rules, I will be successful. So I log my food, eat high protein, and exercise so that I can eat even more :smile: .
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    Great job!
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    <3B)
  • Heartisalonelyhunter
    Options
    You are amazing!!!
  • RockinMBC
    RockinMBC Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Just the kind of inspirational post I needed! I'm back after giving in to menopausal paunch and weight gain! NO MORE!
  • quietandmildspirit
    Options
    I'm 49 and I gained 20 pounds in the last 7 years with menopause and three operations. Back-three herniated disks, partial histerectomy, and over six feet of my intestines removed. I thought I would loose weight with them taking so much out of me, but the numbers kept going up on the scales. I started MFP at the beginning of January and I am down 8 pounds. I'm not giving in to the middle-age spread either.
  • marynb67
    marynb67 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on 11 years of maintenance! You are a true inspiration and you look amazing and happy. Thank you for sharing your story.
  • efrensgirl2015
    efrensgirl2015 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    you leave me without words!!!!!
  • trjjoy
    trjjoy Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    You're a badass!
  • Maggieba
    Maggieba Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Awesome!
  • lohlgren
    Options
    Love love love this post! Congrats! You are a rock star and an inspiration.

It is so true that as we age, things that worked before...to lose weight, stay fit...stop working. It takes a lot of rethinking to get it under control.

I too am in the best shape of my life!

Great profile picture! What I love about being over 50, is no longer comparing myself to anyone younger. In a good way. It's like a reset button.
  • lohlgren
    Options

Screw that, it's inspirational for those of us in our 30's too! ;)

ETA: Seriously nice job, OP.

My daughter turned 33 a few days ago. It took a few years, but she has taken on her own weight loss journey as well and I couldn't be prouder. We use the same language and have similar goals and can talk about it like we are on the same 'team' rather than her feeling defensive about her progress. So thank you for your comment!
  • lohlgren
    Options
    RockinMBC wrote: »
    Just the kind of inspirational post I needed! I'm back after giving in to menopausal paunch and weight gain! NO MORE!

Take no prisoners! We are a force to be reckoned with-you can do this.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!