How do you know when you hit your goal?

Options
So, I'm pretty close to my goal/maintenance. I set my goal at 125 lbs, and today after my workout and before dinner I weighed exactly 125 lbs. I took a picture of the scale!

Replies

• smnovosad1
    smnovosad1 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Ugh -- didn't post my whole post above, sorry! Anyway, my issue is my 125 lb number came when I was dehydrated after a workout and hadn't eaten. I was 126.3 this am. So I figure I should switch to maintenance when I am at 122.5 at my low and alternating between 122.5 and 127.5 throughout the day? I'm excited to be so close and want to finish this right! Thanks!
  • areallycoolstory
    areallycoolstory Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    sounds like you hit it :) congratulations :) are you working out a plan to maintain it yet? i haven't reached my goal yet, but i have been thinking about that a lot lately. nice job reaching your goal. you must be super pleased:-)
  • ronda112
    ronda112 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I agree with Kimyrachel. It is more about how you feel and your healthy eating than it is what the scales say.
  • areallycoolstory
    areallycoolstory Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    smnovosad1 wrote: »
    Ugh -- didn't post my whole post above, sorry! Anyway, my issue is my 125 lb number came when I was dehydrated after a workout and hadn't eaten. I was 126.3 this am. So I figure I should switch to maintenance when I am at 122.5 at my low and alternating between 122.5 and 127.5 throughout the day? I'm excited to be so close and want to finish this right! Thanks!

oh I see. that makes sense. that way you have wiggle room. are you going to up your cals slowly?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,242 Member
    Options
    I think this is one of those things you necessarily answer for yourself.

I kept saying "not there yet" and setting slightly lower goal weights for a while (warning possible TMI coming) because I was feeling like I still had enough fat on my belly that it was dragging the loose skin downward and would prevent the skin from shrinking back (assuming it's even willing to do so at all at my age).

Then one morning I put my hand on my stomach in the course of getting up/dressed, and thought "I guess it's time for maintenance". Now I'm working on finding the right calorie level, and figuring my weight may change a little up or down while I do. (I'm 5'5", around 122-123lbs, 60 y/o.)

Congrats on reaching your goal weight - it's a great milestone!
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Most people in maintenance have a range of up to 5 lbs that their weight fluctuates between. Additionally, depending how big of a deficit you are at now, you might want to increase calories slowly to avoid some rebound in your weight from glycogen stores being replenished.

I know it's exciting to be close to the finish line but many people find maintenance more challenging than losing so it's important to have a strategy and an understanding of how maintenance is different than losing.
  • smnovosad1
    smnovosad1 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Ann -- how cool, I'm also 5'5! I'm 39 and a little jealous you made it lower than me. Congrats!

I think I will increase my calories slowly. I'm set to lose 1/2 lb a week but have been staying under that by a couple hundred calories a day because it freaks me out to get too close. I need to start by eating back exercise calories I think. It's going to be hard to make a mindset change and get myself not to freak out about eating more calories! I really want to get to goal and then stop -- I have great muscle tone genetically, and I finally have the 6 pack, and if I don't stop I think my body will eat up all its muscle.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,242 Member
    Options
    smnovosad1 wrote: »
    Ann -- how cool, I'm also 5'5! I'm 39 and a little jealous you made it lower than me. Congrats!

I think I will increase my calories slowly. I'm set to lose 1/2 lb a week but have been staying under that by a couple hundred calories a day because it freaks me out to get too close. I need to start by eating back exercise calories I think. It's going to be hard to make a mindset change and get myself not to freak out about eating more calories! I really want to get to goal and then stop -- I have great muscle tone genetically, and I finally have the 6 pack, and if I don't stop I think my body will eat up all its muscle.

As someone said, the number on the scale is immaterial. Since you have the 6 pack, you're definitely leaner than I am (I'm fairly fit for a li'l ol' lady, so there are some muscles underneath there somewhere, just not showing).

There's a body-type element in all of this that makes it very individualized. I'm built like a boy: No booty and now (after bilateral mastectomies for breast cancer) literally no breasts (never was busty even before surgery). I'm sure those things are why I got a little lighter.
  • 007Aggie
    007Aggie Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    My weight is roughly the same as yours, as I try to stay around 125.

Today I was 123.3. I have recently been on a lower calorie diet to drop a few lbs in anticipation of a trip. I prefer to stay a bit lower in my "average life" because I tend to have HUGE splurges when we travel. It's not uncommon for me to consume 3,000+ calories on those days. In any given month, I will go from 123 to 130 (the 130 is a lot of bloat).

• snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    I guess my body decided for me. I did manage to get down to 125 (for about 2 minutes), but I seem to be able to maintain at 130 pretty easily. It was a real struggle getting to 125 and I could not maintain it. I have been on maintenance for a little over 2 years, and I am kind of happy at this weight. It fluctuates from day to day, and I do monitor closely. It looks like I will be one of the people that always needs to log my food and exercise and monitor my weight to stay successful.

Congratulations to you on reaching your goals!
  • mjglantz
    mjglantz Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I looked at two things: first I wanted to get to a healthy BMI which was 162 (5'8"). when I got there I continued my working out routines and eating the same way (about 1700 - 1800 cals/day) and I kept losing weight. I didn't change much and figured that when I stopped losing weight that would be my goal. I now maintain around 142 + or - about 2 pounds and that seems to work for me. Dr. happy with my weight as am I. Have been at this range for 2 years and at or under goal for almost 3.
  • jessicarobinson00
    jessicarobinson00 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    I think it's just time to find a new goal: many take this opportunity to think about what they would like to do fitness-wise, because the biggest thing about hitting maintenance for me: boredom. No mini-daily victories to keep me moving. Non-scale victories then become even more important. Running x min mile...# of pull ups, # of pushups...find yours! :)
  • Dreysander
    Dreysander Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    125 lbs is my goal. My low weight is like 122, my high weight is 126. If someone asked me how much I weighed I'd tell them 125.
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I think it's just time to find a new goal: many take this opportunity to think about what they would like to do fitness-wise, because the biggest thing about hitting maintenance for me: boredom. No mini-daily victories to keep me moving. Non-scale victories then become even more important. Running x min mile...# of pull ups, # of pushups...find yours! :)

Congrats on getting to your goal range! Good work!

@jessicarobinson00 has some good advice here! When I switched from Losing Mode to Maintenance Mode it kind of played havoc with my mind for weeks. I'm just now becoming at peace with the whole idea, but you definitely want to look at setting new goals to define your success, because when we are in Losing Mode we only have one way to define it: The Scale! If it goes down? Two thumbs up! If not? Booo! So I had to do two things: 1) Give myself permission to eat more. That was hard because I felt like I was undoing all the work I had done, but even with upping my intake I have still managed to drop a few pounds. Go figure. And 2) Set new goals! I started doing a C25K program for kicks (and the added health/caloric benefits!) and changed my workout routine from a circuit training/calorie burn type to a YAYOG workout to try and build muscle and do a little recomposition if possible.

There's no one right answer for when you switch over from losing to maintenance, and in reality its not like you just flip a switch and go from one to the other. Once you get to that "range" where you feel like you wanted to get, then start to go by what you see in the mirror, not by what you see on the scale. Don't weigh yourself so often, especially more than once a day. Scales are for spot checking, the mirror and how your clothes fit will be a better guide in maintenance mode.

Start adding in small amounts of calories as you get to your goal. So maybe add 100 calories a week, then maybe another 100, and so on. MFP will give you a goal for maintenance, but try to play with your intake (slowly) and see how you react. One cool thing about switching is that I started to eat more full-flavor (and full calorie!) options to get my calories up easily without over-eating. So use butter, creamer, sour cream, cheese, etc. Not go hog wild, but if I added 35 calories here or there by having healthy fats (dairy, nuts, peanut butter, olive oil, etc) than it was easier to reach my calorie goal and not have to open my mouth for more food.

Enjoy the transition! This is what you worked for! It's just another phase of your journey!
  • rhtexasgal
    rhtexasgal Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Well, I thought I had hit my goal of 125 but my body decided, nope, you are not done! I chose 125 because that is what I was in college and when I got married and was a nice size 6. I figured at 44, 5'5" ... it was a good goal. I actually started becoming alarmed when I continued to lose weight and asked my trainer about it. He told me to continue to log and do what I had been doing and eventually, I would stop losing. Now, I go from 116-120 depending on certain factors like stress and hormones. I have NEVER been this light before. Of course, I have never had defined muscles before either! It's a new normal that I like a lot.

I figured I hit maintenance when in the course of a month, I lost and gained the same 2 pounds over and over. I took that as my cue to eat back all my exercise calories when before I left some :) I gave myself permission to ease up on my own goodies rule. Now, after weigh-in on Fridays, I will go grab a donut to "celebrate" another week of maintenance! My new goal, now that the weight is gone, is to be able to do a chin up/pull-up. My upper body strength is not so good and this goal will take a while. In the meantime, I will enjoy the muscles starting to show in my arms and back. Nothing beats having a smooth fit with your bra without "spillage" leaking out around the bands.