Gym

MB1967
MB1967 Posts: 94 Member
edited September 28 in Motivation and Support
Hi all,

does anyone else find the gym demotivational or am I going to the wrong one?

I always seem to get "the look" from the treadmill runners when I jump on do my "walking/ gentle jog" thing.

I`ve started doing more outside anyway now but wondered how everyone felt?

M.

Replies

• anthony438
    anthony438 Posts: 578 Member
    I don't really get that at my gym. I go to a Planet Fitness, and I don't get the usual "gym snobbery" feel from the place.
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Tune those people out! You get on the treadmill and crawl if you want to! There's no rule that says you have to run! Try not to worry about what other people think and remember that you are doing this for you! :flowerforyou:
  • mndamon
    mndamon Posts: 549 Member
    Sounds like it's the gym itself. I prefer smaller ones to the big box 24 hour fitness ones mostly because of no lines and you don't have the people trying to show off more than get a good workout in.
  • aehartley
    aehartley Posts: 269 Member
    I guess we don't have a bunch of "gym snobs". Everyone is very postive. The trainers are helpful to everyone no matter what your goal is. I think that is what I like about my gym.
  • Bellini500
    Bellini500 Posts: 60 Member
    I get this too!
  • LaDiablesse
    LaDiablesse Posts: 862 Member
    I can totally see how you could get that from some gyms. Seems like you're back in school & you may not be in the clique. I got that from some of the gyms I had belonged to in the past.

I have heard great things about Planet Fitness, and considered joining the one here. Instead I decided to start my running again up & down my street.
  • wbond
    wbond Posts: 363 Member
    I hear ya...that's why I do Insanity/P90X at home...don't have to fight for a machine or listen to people grunt, yell and moan...lol
  • Jaradel
    Jaradel Posts: 143 Member
    Hard to tell without actually visiting your gym - every gym is different. I will say, though, that running outside works your muscles differently. The treadmill kind of pulls you along, whereas you have to create your own momentum outside. I enjoy running outside for the fresh air and the scenery. Things look a lot different on foot than they do from inside a car. If the gym is your only option, though, try not to think too much about what other people are thinking - chances are that they're thinking the same thing you are. :ohwell:
  • ande2994
    ande2994 Posts: 136
    Depends on the gym -- not just the brand, but also the location. I had a YMCA that I loved near an old job -- all ages, shapes and types of people there. I actually found it inspirational to watch the elderly women work out -- it was so clear that they valued their bodies for what they could do, not how they looked. If only we could all adopt that mentality! But another YMCA was filled with men who sat on weight benches without actually doing any work and watched women run. Gross!

If you're a member at a chain, see if there are any other locations near you. Maybe you'll find a group that suits you better.

In the meantime, don't let the others get you down -- define what success is for you and don't let anyone else's definition get in your way.
  • uniquesoul73
    uniquesoul73 Posts: 151 Member
    I think some gyms just have a bunch of fitness snobs. My gym is out in the suburbs and attracts families and just your average person trying to get in shape. In the past I was a member of one of the big chain gyms and always felt out of place...I think the smaller more family friendly neighborhood gyms are just less pretentious.
  • You are definately going to the wrong one!!! I love the gym I am going to. The people there are friendly and encouraging! They also have little contests or incintives to attend. I came in 3rd place last month and won 3 free TRX training sessions with a personal trainer! I can honestly say "I LOVE MY GYM!!!"
  • I understand I used to hate going to the gym, felt like I was getting looks from everyone, but now I just don't care I am there for me and to get myself healthy, I could care less what others think of me, I just go in, hop on the elliptical plug in my headphones and go go go! I think you should go to the gym when it is really hot outside and I personally don't like to be in the sun too much, Good luck and keep your chin up :)
  • Kitiara47
    Kitiara47 Posts: 235
    I tune everyone out at the gym. I don't even jog when I get on the treadmill. I do my 3.0 speed walk :P At school it was a lot harder because our little excercise room was in the ground floor of our dining hall and two sides were big glass windows so everyone could see out, as well as in. My brother and I joined our local Snap Fitness gym, and the people there are great! Everyone there goes at their own pace, and the people on staff are very supportive and helpul. Going at a later time is nice because there is only about 2 or so people there. But my ipod is definitely my best friend! :)
  • agwilker
    agwilker Posts: 104 Member
    M,

I also started to feel like that when I began going to my gym. I would push myself way harder because I felt self-conscious going slower. But then I realized, "HEY, I could be sitting at home, but I'm here." So I view me just BEING there as a positive reflection of myself.
  • ♥ChUbByCoyLe♥
    ♥ChUbByCoyLe♥ Posts: 267 Member
    I prefer to exercise outdoors. walking, running and hiking. Great for the skin too. I do attend kick boxing classes but its hardcore exercise so no room for posers. I find the gym a little intimidating and tend not to stay too long. I think your better to exercise where you feel most comfortable. I highly recommend kick boxing classes. Great calorie burner and has people of all shapes and sixes ;)
  • sjhoffman
    sjhoffman Posts: 14 Member
    Usually when I walk on the treadmill, I am the only one, and everyone else is running. I don't even glance at them to see if they are looking. At first I wondered if they thought I was weird, but really I think they are too busy with their own workout to pay attention to what I am doing. Just do your own thing and be confident you are doing something good for yourself!
  • MB1967
    MB1967 Posts: 94 Member
    Thanks everyone,

I think I will look for an alternative gym but still keep up the outdoors thing too (Until the British weather says otherwise).

M.
  • mike_littlerock
    mike_littlerock Posts: 296 Member
    I get what you are saying 100%..
    I belong to two gyms, one is a old school, hardcore gym. No A/C (in Arkansas we hit 100+ in the summer, about 98F now), no lockers, no fancy machines, basically just Olympic style lifting and athletic conditioning stuff. That gym is HEAVEN, you show up, work out harder than you think you could handle, and feel great about it. they are very accepting, as long as you are there to work.

My other gym is one of the affordable chain joints.. $10 a month type. decent equipment, far more than the other gym actually, but so many in-shape posers in there. I think the laziest guy at the other gym works harder than anyone in this place, because they dont want to get sweaty and ruin their makeup/spray tan/Affliction t-shirts.. I was in there about a month ago i guess, i only really train there on the weekends, because it is close to the house.. anyway, i walked in and it was packed.. I do own that some of this is my damaged self confidence regarding my body, but I felt I did not "deserve" to be taking up time on the machines. I let those demons chase me out of the gym and it really bugged me deeply. On the rational level, I totally understand that I have as much right to equipment as anyone else in there, but I allowed myself to get in the dumps about my own damaged recording about my body. the next time i went, i also left, but because I realized I can go home and get a better workout with body weight exercises in a FAR shorter period of time than I could at the gym. when its that crowded, I HATE waiting for a machine and it does bother me about how slow some of these people are. Also, at the box gyms like this, if you do any olympic lifts, or do anything outside of the cookie cutter old fashioned Push/Pull bodybuilder workouts, people look at you funny. lol
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Honestly, in the gym, everyone's too self-absorbed with their own workout to notice or care what anyone else is doing. I do occasionally sneak a glimpse at my neighbour treadmill user's settings, but let's face it, I'm never going to be the fastest or the slowest there, we all work at our own target pace.
  • butterfly0475
    butterfly0475 Posts: 91 Member
    I have been at Lifetime Fitness for over 4 years (yeah on and off) and notice if you go earlier, there are really people wanting to be there to take care of their bodies and not worry about others. After work crowd seems a little more snobby but all around, a good exereience. Go to the gym for you and forget about all looking at you! It's all about you!
This discussion has been closed.