Pasta substitute

Options
ellymvf
ellymvf Posts: 6 Member
edited February 2016 in Food and Nutrition
I am cooking pasta bolognese for the family today, but i am trying to lose weight. What could i put the sauce on instead of pasta? I had cauliflower rice yesterday. Any ideas welcome.x

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Less pasta.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti squash
    Zucchini noodles
    Shirataki noodles
    Use it as a topper for sautéed shrimp or chicken breast
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    spaghetti squash or zucchini noodles
  • ellymvf
    Options
    How do i do those? Sorry for the dumb question.
  • ellymvf
    Options
    Less pasta.

That's not an option as i don't want pasta at all.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    ellymvf wrote: »
    Less pasta.

That's not an option as i don't want pasta at all.

just have the meat and veg in the sauce then?
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I also like zucchini noodles (I use this product, but there are lots out there: http://www.amazon.com/Veggetti-Spiral-Vegetable-Slicer-Veggie/dp/B00IIVRB3W/ref=sr_1_sc_2?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1455717056&sr=1-2-spell&keywords=vaggettie).

Or, I'll just put in a ton of veggies and meat so that it's super thick and eat it like a stew not over anything.

Or just fit a single portion of pasta into your daily goal.
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti squash for sure!!
    I cut mine into rings to roast... like so
    http://eatwithinyourmeans.com/how-to-cook-spaghetti-squash/
  • MaGrl523
    MaGrl523 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti squash is the best! I actually prefer it to pasta. If you good how to cook a spaghetti squash you should find an answer. You don't need an extra contraptions for SS like you would zucchini noodles. ;)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Stuff it in a pepper and bake.

Or spaghetti squash/zucchini noodles.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

For spaghetti squash you cook it according to instructions and then scrape the middle with a fork. Then use it in whatever recipe you want.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchens/spaghetti-squash-and-meatballs-recipe.html

For zucchini noodles, buy a spiralizer or a zoodle maker from target etc. and create vegetable noodles, then use whatever recipes you want.
    http://www.amazon.com/Zoodle-Slicer-ZS001-Vegetable-Spiral/dp/B00M6I6MG0

or:
    http://foodiefitness.org/how-to-make-zoodles-without-a-spiralizer/

Google zoodle recipes for millions of them.
  • mweckler
    mweckler Posts: 623 Member
    Options

Spaghetti squash is the best swap for pasta. Heat your oven to 375 degrees with a strong sharp knife cut the squash in half. Take some olive oil and lightly rub it on the "meat" of the squash then sprinkle with a little salt and pepper. Place the squash "meat" side down on a foil lined cookie sheet. Bake the squash for about 35-45 minutes or until the squash gets soft. Carefully remove from the oven and over a large bowl take a fork and rake the inside of the squash, it should shred and look like pasta when it comes out of the husk. Serve with whatever sauce you choose. I believe one cup of squash is about 30 calories. If you have any other questions please let me know. P.S. I am a trained chef with 15 years of professional cooking under my belt.
  • JenMc14
    Options
    For spaghetti squash, cut it in half and scoop the seeds put. I microwave it for about 5 minutes, then let it cool a bit to mark cutting easier.mthen put the halves flesh side down on a baking sheet. I think I usually do 350 for about 25-30 minutes. When it's done, the flesh will be soft, and you can scoop it out with a fork, and it's like spaghetti, hence the name.

For zucchini noodles, you can slice really fine, though it's hard. I might just do chunks. Unless you have a spiralizer. Then you can make the zucchini into noodles.

You might also try roasting some yummy veggies like squash, eggplant, cauliflower, mushrooms, etc. and serving the sauce over that as well.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    Whole wheat brown pasta.
  • ellymvf
    Options
    JenMc14 wrote: »
    For spaghetti squash, cut it in half and scoop the seeds put. I microwave it for about 5 minutes, then let it cool a bit to mark cutting easier.mthen put the halves flesh side down on a baking sheet. I think I usually do 350 for about 25-30 minutes. When it's done, the flesh will be soft, and you can scoop it out with a fork, and it's like spaghetti, hence the name.

For zucchini noodles, you can slice really fine, though it's hard. I might just do chunks. Unless you have a spiralizer. Then you can make the zucchini into noodles.

You might also try roasting some yummy veggies like squash, eggplant, cauliflower, mushrooms, etc. and serving the sauce over that as well.

Thanks a lot. Is normal squash the one to use?
  • JenMc14
    Options
    For roasting, use any squash. To get the noodley texture, it needs to be spaghetti squash.
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    Try this site for pictures & recipes

http://www.skinnymom.com/skinny-spaghetti-squash-tacos/
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I personally don't like a typical spaghetti sauce on squash but some people do. I prefer a spicier sauce with it because the squash is sweet. It's worth a try I guess.

Pasta was one of my biggest weaknesses so I avoided it completely until I had better control. I would put my share of sauce/meat on a nice bed of mixed greens. Bell pepper strips and/or chopped mushrooms either raw or lightly cooked and added to it helped with texture and feeling like I was really eating something substantial.

I love the tofu shirataki noodles as a substitute but that's another thing people either love or hate.

It's also good on a potato. I make sure to buy small potatoes so the calories stay low.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    I am cooking pasta bolognese for the family today, but i am trying to lose weight. What could i put the sauce on instead of pasta? I had cauliflower rice yesterday. Any ideas welcome.x

You don't need to avoid pasta in order to lose weight. I just eat less of it - around 4 ounces cooked.
  • TheLittleRedHairedGirl
    Options
    You can try Shirataki noodles