I was 180lbs in 2009 and now i am 320lbs. Looking for support and tips from others

Options
Hi all,

I have been using my fitness pal on and off through out the last few years. Now it has gotten to the point where i need to commit 100% to loosing weight and I believe that eating right using this app and the support of you all will help me get there.

Like the title mentioned I was 180lbs in 2009 and thats when i first met my wife, i guess being in love and not watching what i eat has gotten to this point in my life where is 2016 and i am 320lbs. I am currently 25yrs old and I work as head of marketing for a small company in suburbs of Chicago. I have a 2.5yrs old son who I love and adore, so I want to whip myself back in shape to be able to run around and play with him without running out of breath.

I hope that with everyones support, I will be able to start this journey and hit my first goal of 250lbs and then the ultimate goal of 200lbs. I am ready to eat right and workout to get there!

LETS DO THIS!!!

Replies

• jprewitt1
    jprewitt1 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    My first priority for you would be to seriously consider why you gained all this weight in the first place. It's easy to say "well, I got married and didn't watch what I ate." You almost doubled in size in 7 years. If it really is all there is to it, then good, I'm glad you've identified the problem. If there is more, like stress eating, coping with issues at home/work, or a lifelong struggle with food and weight problems then you need to identify those problems and find a solution to get over those. If you don't identify the root cause of your weight gain then it will be significantly easier to gain it all back and ignore MFP completely.

No matter what though, good for you for recognizing a problem and doing something about it. It's hard, but as long as you are losing the weight for yourself to be happy, and no one else, then you'll do great!
  • Cpina81
    Cpina81 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
  • upoffthemat
    upoffthemat Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    You made a great first step. There is a lot of wisdom here with people who have lost and kept weight off.
  • srijay1
    srijay1 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    jprewitt1 wrote: »
    My first priority for you would be to seriously consider why you gained all this weight in the first place. It's easy to say "well, I got married and didn't watch what I ate." You almost doubled in size in 7 years. If it really is all there is to it, then good, I'm glad you've identified the problem. If there is more, like stress eating, coping with issues at home/work, or a lifelong struggle with food and weight problems then you need to identify those problems and find a solution to get over those. If you don't identify the root cause of your weight gain then it will be significantly easier to gain it all back and ignore MFP completely.

No matter what though, good for you for recognizing a problem and doing something about it. It's hard, but as long as you are losing the weight for yourself to be happy, and no one else, then you'll do great!

Thanks for your support! i did spend some time thinking through why i gained all this weight and mainly it was me not caring what i was eating but at the same time it was also me just having easy access to non-healthy meals. But now i am going clean and making the right food choices.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options

Plus you did that at a very young age. It's unusual.

Have you had a check-up recently or consulted with your doctor about weight-loss plans?
  • jprewitt1
    jprewitt1 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    srijay1 wrote: »
    Thanks for your support! i did spend some time thinking through why i gained all this weight and mainly it was me not caring what i was eating but at the same time it was also me just having easy access to non-healthy meals. But now i am going clean and making the right food choices.

Just remember to not overdo it on the "healthy eating" kick. It's great to say you won't eat anymore junk food, fast food, or fried food. It's harder to avoid, especially if you're a busy adult with a full-time job. Just remember that it's okay to have something "unhealthy" every once in a while. At your weight you don't need to make huge sweeping life changes to lose weight. You just need to dial back what you are eating and increase your activity. And by increase activity I don't mean you need to start training for a 5K. Just go for 15-20 minute walk a day. Take the stairs at work instead of the elevator. Small changes done everyday will help you get to your goal a lot easier than jumping headfirst into a whole new lifestyle. Television makes it seem so easy with shows like "The Biggest Loser" and whatnot, but that isn't realistic. You aren't going to be closely monitored by a trained healthcare provider, have your meals catered, and constantly work out. Start today by making a small choice now that future you can be proud of. Going to McDonalds for lunch? Good, go for it. Instead of getting a double quarter pounder, fries, a coke and some chicken nuggets (my go to meal for years) just get a regular McDouble, a small fry, a diet coke and leave the nuggets behind. Obviously may not fit with you, but do you see what I'm saying? Dial back the food and increase the activity. Or, as others put it here on MFP, CICO. If Calories In is less than Calories Out, you will lose weight. No matter what food you're eating.
  • Teamdhb120
    Teamdhb120 Posts: 25 Member
    Options

Just remember to not overdo it on the "healthy eating" kick. It's great to say you won't eat anymore junk food, fast food, or fried food. It's harder to avoid, especially if you're a busy adult with a full-time job. Just remember that it's okay to have something "unhealthy" every once in a while. At your weight you don't need to make huge sweeping life changes to lose weight. You just need to dial back what you are eating and increase your activity. And by increase activity I don't mean you need to start training for a 5K. Just go for 15-20 minute walk a day. Take the stairs at work instead of the elevator. Small changes done everyday will help you get to your goal a lot easier than jumping headfirst into a whole new lifestyle. Television makes it seem so easy with shows like "The Biggest Loser" and whatnot, but that isn't realistic. You aren't going to be closely monitored by a trained healthcare provider, have your meals catered, and constantly work out. Start today by making a small choice now that future you can be proud of. Going to McDonalds for lunch? Good, go for it. Instead of getting a double quarter pounder, fries, a coke and some chicken nuggets (my go to meal for years) just get a regular McDouble, a small fry, a diet coke and leave the nuggets behind. Obviously may not fit with you, but do you see what I'm saying? Dial back the food and increase the activity. Or, as others put it here on MFP, CICO. If Calories In is less than Calories Out, you will lose weight. No matter what food you're eating.

Great advice about small changes. It's good to track nutrition too and not go over in your sodium and sugar allotments. This will help deter you from places like McDonalds and motivate you to prepare your own meals.
  • srijay1
    Options

Thats is some great advice, thanks for those tips. I will make sure to pace myself.
  • srijay1
    Options
    Teamdhb120 wrote: »

Great advice about small changes. It's good to track nutrition too and not go over in your sodium and sugar allotments. This will help deter you from places like McDonalds and motivate you to prepare your own meals.

yea thats a great point. I have started making more meals at home instead of buying lean cuisine and other garbage food.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    Teamdhb120 wrote: »

yea thats a great point. I have started making more meals at home instead of buying lean cuisine and other garbage food.

I still eat fast food all the time and am losing weight. The concept that you need to 'eat healthy' or 'eat clean' is not true. It all comes down to calories in / calories out. Obviously I eat less fast food because I'm controlling the calories but if I said 'never again! chicken breasts and broccoli forever!' I'd probably quit within days.
  • Starfish1125
    Starfish1125 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Honestly that's only a 20 lb gain each year when you break it down - and gaining 20 lbs per year is pretty easy to do if you eat badly (which I'm REALLY good at!) :)

So now you know you want to change things and get healthy. FANTASTIC!!! Just like jprewitt said - small changes are easy to implement and will make it easier to stick to.

For me I could NEVER do low carb or zero sugar or eat clean. Nope. Not going to happen. I NEED to have some treats along the way. I need to enjoy in cake or ice cream or any other badness. I just need to fit it into my daily calories. Or if I'm going to indulge I need to work it off.

Have you considered getting a FitBit? It's a nice way to track yourself daily for exercise. Low impact and can give you some good steady results weekly.

Also set small attainable goals. For me my goal is to lose 30 lbs by 12/31/16. So I've broken that down to each week I need to try to lose .6 lbs or 2.5 lbs per month. VERY doable and still allows me some indulgences.

To me, life is too short not to enjoy food. I just need to find a better relationship with it.

GOOD LUCK TO YOU!!!